Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op struggle.

I am 3 weeks post op and am on the soft food diet. I know I should eat healthy but because I can't eat much, I feel like I can eat a couple bites of Pasta and it is ok. I am making sure I get enough Protein in and all my Vitamins. I don't overeat, I'm just not making the best food choices. Did anyone else struggle with this? And is it a big deal since I'm not eating much and get all my protein?

Well there is a plan in place for a reason. No rice, bread or Pasta for 6 months, that's my plan and I know alot of others on here have that plan also. There is a reason we need to stick to the plans we are given. So in my opinion, yes it is a big deal to eat Pasta, even if you are getting in your Protein, unless the doc tells you it is OK. I am not trying to lecture or scold and I hope it does not come off that way, but if you read often on this site, you can see the successful people tell you, stick to your plan.

This isn't a diet where you can "cheat" this is a lifestyle. You have to stick to it. All those little bites and breaks are going to slow your weight loss and eventually you will discouraged. The whole point of the food steps is so you learn how to eat again properly.

If you must have Pasta, get a veghetti and make zucchini Pasta

You have such little real estate in your tummy right now, you need to get the best bang for your buck from every bite of food. Pasta serves no purpose to you nutritionally right now. Protein, Protein, protein! It's crucial for healing and maintaining your muscle that will be lost as you lose weight.

I was sleeved on 9/30 and since being on soft foods i also struggled. It happens. We need to get back on track. Focus on your Protein and Water and consult your nutritionist. Good luck!

I had my surgery on 10/8. I am also having a hard time. My doctor instructed 3 weeks of full liquids but didn't really specify what liquids to eat. He was specific about what to eat when I started regular food but not the liquids. When you are so limited to what foods you can eat it is hard. I am so sick of sweet stuff !! I lost 5 lbs in the first week and apparently I am not making the best choices since I haven't lost anything in the last 6 days or so. The Soups I have been eating have not been low calorie but I am only eating a small amount of them. I can't really figure out why I'm not loosing though because I am tracking my calories and don't get more than 800-900 calories a day. Today I had a Protein Shake for Breakfast, some Protein oatmeal for a snack. Soupy refried Beans with salsa for lunch and some potato Soup for dinner. Am I doing something wrong ? I got 48 grams of protein.. What do y'all think ?

@@amber5281 my Protein goal is 60+ grams a day. You may need more protein. Are you drinking all of your Water as well?

Okay thank you .. I will try to get in the Protein and cut some calories. I haven't been drinking enough Water - so I will work on that also.

I am 3 weeks post op and am on the soft food diet. I know I should eat healthy but because I can't eat much, I feel like I can eat a couple bites of Pasta and it is ok. I am making sure I get enough Protein in and all my Vitamins. I don't overeat, I'm just not making the best food choices. Did anyone else struggle with this? And is it a big deal since I'm not eating much and get all my Protein?

If you have to ask then likely the answer is YES it's a problem. For many of us this is exactly the type of behavior that got us obese.

I had my surgery on 10/8. I am also having a hard time. My doctor instructed 3 weeks of full liquids but didn't really specify what liquids to eat. He was specific about what to eat when I started regular food but not the liquids. When you are so limited to what foods you can eat it is hard. I am so sick of sweet stuff !! I lost 5 lbs in the first week and apparently I am not making the best choices since I haven't lost anything in the last 6 days or so. The Soups I have been eating have not been low calorie but I am only eating a small amount of them. I can't really figure out why I'm not loosing though because I am tracking my calories and don't get more than 800-900 calories a day. Today I had a Protein shake for Breakfast, some protein oatmeal for a snack. Soupy refried Beans with salsa for lunch and some potato Soup for dinner. Am I doing something wrong ? I got 48 grams of protein.. What do y'all think ?

if your doctor didn't specify call them back for clarification. Ask for specific examples. 48 grms of protein is low, minimal is 60 and many practices are changing that to 80.

Okay thank you .. I will try to get in the Protein and cut some calories. I haven't been drinking enough Water - so I will work on that also.

It's not just a matter of weight loss.....but your health depends on it.

Stay hydrated. No excuses.

Do your best to get back on track with the plan. You just had major surgery in order to lose weight. You've gotta be smart and do the things that agree with your new stomach and support your progress.

Don't sabotage your progress.

I would agree about getting a vegetti. I LOVE mine. Best $15 I've spent ever. As far as only being three weeks out and eating Pasta, I'd say nope. Probably not the best choice. I'm not sure about other's but we were given a binder with very specific instructions in it. At three weeks we were still only supposed to be eating softer foods and adding in more Protein options. I'm having to personally scale back to liquids for now because for some reason at five weeks out my body has decided that it doesn't want food and is rejecting it, so I called the surgeon and he said do liquids for a week and try again.

I wish you all the best with your WL journey but be wise. Pasta is high carb. Can't be good long term for weight loss...

Thanks everyone! My dr. gave me lots of options for my my liquid diet but not for the soft food phase. I don't really even know what to eat. Luckily I haven't had any problems and my stomach tolerates whatever I eat very well so I don't get the warnings from my food.

@@amber5281 October 8 was just 2 weeks ago and you are already getting in 800 calories. I am 8 months out and I take in 800 to 1,000 calories daily. At your stage I was lucky to get in 300 calories a day. You might want to scale down your calories and focus on Protein and Water.