Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not trying to sound like a lush, but when can I have a glass of wine? ???? Thanksgiving is 5 weeks away and I'd love to have a 4 oz glass liquid love.

I'm seven weeks out and had two glasses of white wine this past weekend

My surgeon said 6 months! Geeze I would love a glass on Christmas Eve....I will only be 5 weeks post on Thanksgiving... too soon....

My surgeon said they tell people to wait a year, and he followed it up with "but nobody does that." He said realistically that it's safe (but still bad for you) after 3 months or so.

I waited 6 months.

So, no, it's not true that "nobody waits that long."

Sheesh, folks!

I waited 12 months and guess what... It didn't kill me to wait that long and the drink didn't kill me either ????

I waited 6 mths. Speak to your nutritionist and use discernment. Ask yourself if you can drink 4 ounces of wine and still work in your Protein.< /p>

8 weeks or so. A glass of wine here and there is fine with me, doesn't have any negative effect.

Did they not tell you this info in your nutrition classes. They address all of this before surgery..... This is why the veteran on this form get upset.... If your surgeon office didn't explain all the reason why to you.... It's a disgrace..... But my surgeon office made us take a test after each class to make sure we understood everything... Sorry if this is coming across as a rude reply because it's really not... I'm just very concern why so many people are not aware of the reason not to drink after surgery.... Again I feel it's a disgrace that patience are not aware of the problems from consuming these types of beverages and the risk involved... How about you mental evaluation? My doctor also discuss this matter with me. He made sure I understand and would follow my Dr. Orders. This is why I'm so confuse....... I'm just trying to figure it out... I had to jump through so many hoops before surgery even took places.... Why are some Dr. Not addressing these important facts about this surgery is mind blowing to me... Again please don't take this as a rude reply.. But to answer your question I was told 6 months but if I could wait a year even better. I'm only 3 months out of surgery and remember all the rules and why.... Maybe all Dr should go to testing patients on the info to make sure they understand everything and to cover themselves that a patient was told and understood everything ...

If you don't like my question don't respond. Good for you for remembering everything. Not all docs talk about every things. If they did I wouldn't have asked the question. Bye.

#GetOverYourself

Wow!!! This was a question just to have trouble on a board. (Attention ) sorry could've never reply... Don't play into drama... Have a good day

Wow...just wow....

Anyhow...I think it is obvious that there are varying opinions, here on BP and in the Bariatric field on when to drink....talk to your doctor or NUT. EVERYONE is different...regardless we shouldn't be tearing each other down because of these differences. This board is to encourage each other, not shame each other.

My reply was never about tearing you down as a person. My reply was so many have this same type of question as you... Somehow the system is broken and people are not getting the right info to help them understand everything that's important. Things move so fast and as a patient we are very excited about our new life and forget something's. ( me included ) but testing us to make sure we are well informed and given a copy , so we can reflect is a very good thing to have on hand. At this time so much is going on emotional , we do forget. I was in no way putting you down. I feel every person should know that answer to your question before surgery and if they don't it's a disgrace to me. But that's was not your fault. I was just trying to understand how this could happen. Sorry if my post offended you. That was never the intention of my post.

Basically you should wait. Alcohol can cause ulcers in your new stomach. So maybe 4 oz won't "kill you" at three months but neither will a cheat food. Testing your limits with foods you should avoid and alcohol will more than likely cause you issues. Discomfort or dumping or worse a bleeding ulcer. It's best to let your new stomach heal for a year and then reintroduce alcohol. You are choosing this surgery to be a better you, just wait.

My doc said 6 months. His team takes a realistic approach - if you enjoyed a glass of wine before surgery, it's simply unrealistic to think you will never ever have a glass of wine again. My nut says it's just empty calories with absolutely no redeeming nutritional value. I try to take the approach of filling my sleeve with the most nutritionally sound stuff but... there will be exceptions on rare occasions.

CJ