Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm a week and a half away from surgery and all of a sudden I'm so emotional about the process. I'm guessing this is normal, but the closer I get, the more I second guess myself that this is the right decision. I start my preop diet on Wednesday and am very anxious about that. Any tips for me?

I feel the same way. I think (hope) it's normal. My surgery is 11/4 and I start my preop diet Weds too (10/21). Good luck to you :)

I had those feelings of, am I doing the right thing, is this what I truly want to do? I then did some self reflecting and reminded myself why I was doing this. Even after the surgery I asked myself if it was the right thing to do, and again I did the same thing. My answer always went back to yes. Be sure to talk to your dr and your support system as they too can help. Good luck

I feel the same way...I have my surgery on Thursday and I have been trying to talk myself out of it....the change in my life style is what freaks me out...you know I have been obese forever (truly forever)...I have to remind myself that this is the best thing for me and I will be fine...so will you. Just think about all the reasons that you want/need the surgery and focus on how much better you will feel and look.

Good luck to you!

Just keep going over in your head about everything that led up to this decision. What you want to achieve and the things you always wanted to accomplish. Envision the amazing future you have awaiting you!

I was laying in pre-op, IV hooked up, completely naked under a hospital gown and thinking "just get up, walk away, go get some damn pancakes (or chicken fried steak, or a Denver omelette or a club sandwich or a Reuben with sweet potato fries)." I was always talking myself in and out of surgery even moments before being taking into the operating room.

Some nights I would lay in bed on my back, feel my weight making it hard to breath, get comfortable, feel all the aches and pains and I'd think "this is ridiculous, I am a prisoner in my own body and I need to get out!"

Then the next afternoon I'd meet with one of my BB friends and there would be a nagging "it is okay to be big and beautiful, society needs to accept me for me." I'd take a bite of whatever I was having and try to convince myself surgery was too extreme for me, I just need to exercise more and eat less.

Then night would come around and the cycle would repeat itself.

In the end, I had surgery and I'm not going to lie, the first week (or so) is so emotional, so overwhelming, painful, draining and abnormal; I regretted the surgery through out the day.

But everyday it got a little better, a little more and more so after that and now six weeks post-op, I am so, so, so happy I made the decision to go through with surgery.

And you will too. :)

I was laying in pre-op, IV hooked up, completely naked under a hospital gown and thinking "just get up, walk away, go get some damn pancakes (or chicken fried steak, or a Denver omelette or a club sandwich or a Reuben with sweet potato fries)." I was always talking myself in and out of surgery even moments before being taking into the operating room.

Some nights I would lay in bed on my back, feel my weight making it hard to breath, get comfortable, feel all the aches and pains and I'd think "this is ridiculous, I am a prisoner in my own body and I need to get out!"

Then the next afternoon I'd meet with one of my BB friends and there would be a nagging "it is okay to be big and beautiful, society needs to accept me for me." I'd take a bite of whatever I was having and try to convince myself surgery was too extreme for me, I just need to exercise more and eat less.

Then night would come around and the cycle would repeat itself.

In the end, I had surgery and I'm not going to lie, the first week (or so) is so emotional, so overwhelming, painful, draining and abnormal; I regretted the surgery through out the day.

But everyday it got a little better, a little more and more so after that and now six weeks post-op, I am so, so, so happy I made the decision to go through with surgery.

And you will too. :)

thanks for sharing that. I'm on day 2 of pre-op diet and I have been certain all day that I have lost my mind and that I should just go eat a big plate of Mexican food and then have some cake for dessert. Then I decided that I have really done that enough. It never makes any situation better and because it makes me bigger, I'm in even more pain. Now I can't wait. My surgery is next Monday and I imagine I'll change my mind about 60 more times between now and then. But I'm going to have the surgery and do everything I can to make this work for me.

I think it's normal. I set my surgery date today (scheduled for November) and I was so elated. But I'm sure as I move closer to the date, I may have a few doubts, maybe even a bit afraid, but deep down I know I've made the right decision. It's going to get real when I begin the two week partial liquid diet. I'm ready though, as I'm sure you will be too!

This thread is for me! I am not required to start a liquid diet until next week ( my surgery is 11/2) but I decided to start 2 shakes and one meal a day on yesterday 10/19, I was on my food funeral campaign and I got so sick over the weekend that I just had enough and started a semi liquid first. I am in a weird emotional state and I just want this to be over with. My body is fighting me hunger pains etc. But I have to do this for me.

I started doing food funerals before my first appointment with my surgeon. About two weeks of it and I made myself so sick! I was ready to get focused after that.

I think it's normal. I set my surgery date today (scheduled for November) and I was so elated. But I'm sure as I move closer to the date, I may have a few doubts, maybe even a bit afraid, but deep down I know I've made the right decision. It's going to get real when I begin the two week partial liquid diet. I'm ready though, as I'm sure you will be too!

What is your date in November? Mine is the 19th good luck.

What is your date in November? Mine is the 19th good luck.

Sunstorm14760, my surgery date is also November 19!!! I am surprised, but the process was relatively easy, I was expecting a date no earlier than December. I hope that we can keep in touch :) I begin my pre-op semi liquid diet Nov 5th.