Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for Alcohol Drinkers ONLY!

QUESTIONS:

1. How long did you go before having your first drink? - I am only 3 weeks out - plan to wait 6 months so I can avoid those carbs during this maximum weight loss time.

2. Have you had any MEDICAL complications with your surgery that were attributed to drinking alcohol? no

3. Have you gained back significant weight from drinking alcohol? no - abstaining for now.

4. Have you developed an alcohol addiction post VSG after having been able to control your drinking before? I have asked hubby to watch me for this issue, as I know he will give me good feedback. I was an occasional drinker, wine and whiskey are my favs. and I collect wines from the Old Mission Peninsula. I sure hope I tolerate it well once I am back on the sauce. I typically had 3 glasses a month, so not every weekend, more than once a month.

Wow people! This life is all about personal choices. There are people here who drink that is their choice. There are people who never drink again that is their choice . Medically there is conflicting research on drinking after having the sleeve. There is not a person on this site that has not made an unhealthy life choice. So why is this becoming so nasty? No reason! Every one gab a freaking mirror!!!

Wow people! This life is all about personal choices. There are people here who drink that is their choice. There are people who never drink again that is their choice . Medically there is conflicting research on drinking after having the sleeve. There is not a person on this site that has not made an unhealthy life choice. So why is this becoming so nasty? No reason! Every one gab a freaking mirror!!!

I have not seen any posts that are nasty? people are just answering the questions asked..............

Huh? :blink:

I just know we should not call people "idiots." Sometimes that does more harm than good!

I guess! Well whatever!

Just wanted to update this post 5 months later. I still don't drink anywhere near as much as I use to prior to the surgery. But when I do go out and have a drink or two I have noticed that my tolerance has gotten a bit better. I still haven't gone back to my straight bourbon, whiskey, tequila shots. But mixed drinks, & wine coolers no longer get me immediately buzzed like they use to. I can take in about two to four drinks of those sort of alcoholic beverages before I feel anything now. Now keep in mind I sip on these things very slowly so one drink my last me 10 to 15 minutes. So if I'm out for two hours I may only have consumed up to 2 to 3 drinks max during that time frame. I'm not slamming them down like I'm in the dessert and dying of thirst.

I'm also sure if I were to do the more harder stuff (whiskey, bourbon, tequila) I would feel it right away as if I was fresh off of surgery. I guess it just takes time for you to heal up and get somewhat of a tolerance back for it I guess. But I can totally see how it can become habit forming if your are getting buzzed drunk that quickly. You feel good, have not inhibitions to stop your good judgment, etc, etc. I still would totally advise on not doing it at least a good 8 - 12 months post surgery. And if you do go back to drinking, understand that what you could tolerate before and maybe even enjoyed, will indeed change. Be open up to trying new things a very very slow pace. And if at all possible have someone around you that can keep an eye on you to make sure you don't over do it. If you get buzzed drunk super quickly, you'll want someone around you that you can trust to stop you from continuing. Just my thoughts though.

QUESTIONS:

1. How long did you go before having your first drink?

I had my first drink about 15 days post surgery (had like 3 sips of some cheap champagne for New Years)

2. Have you had any MEDICAL complications with your surgery that were attributed to drinking alcohol?

None that I can think of.

3. Have you gained back significant weight from drinking alcohol?

No I haven't gained any weight back from drinking alcohol. However I don't drink often either.

4. Have you developed an alcohol addiction post VSG after having been able to control your drinking before?

No. Before the surgery I was very much a social drinking. Going out for drinks at least twice to three times a month. Now I may have a drink once every few months (and by a drink I mean I am a one and done guy now). It hasn't been a year yet out of surgery for me, and I have had a drink of alcohol probably 4 times since the surgery. And the affects are the same every time. I get buzzed/high very quickly off of one drink. It last maybe 10 -15 minutes after I have stopped drinking said drink. I usually wait 20 to 30 minutes after the buzzing affects before I drive home, if I am out with friends just to make sure all the affects have past.

Because I don't like that it gets me buzzed/high so freaking quickly and I prefer to have my wits about me when I am out in public I tend to limit or don't drink alcohol while out in public. If I am at home or a friends I may drink more than a drink, but honestly I haven't done that yet. With a giant bottle of Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey in my fridge that I brought a few months before I even agreed to have the surgery I can still say is still in my fridge. full as can be.