Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got off the phone with my NUT. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and on the full liquid diet. For the last few days I've been having problems with all Protein Shakes and the Protein supplements she recommended. So today after days of just feeling like a 90 year old with no energy... nausea dizziness fatigue.... I tried a cheese stick... and guess what... I KEPT IT DOWN. Zero adverse side effects. I called my nutritionist to explain and get her take on it... thinking she would be thrilled I found a source of protein I can handle and boy was I wrong... She was SHOCKED that I had chewed something, because cheese sticks aren't on the liquid phase and thats bad.... So instead her recommendation was... lets stop the protein and just try... puddings, gerber baby food (fruit), Soups (but only Tomato or butternut squash NO OTHER TYPES ALLOWED), maybe try some milk again with cocoa.... how does any of this make sense... why can't I have the cheese stick... it works? Others have it at 2 weeks. Also this full liquid hell Im in.... lasts 3 weeks according to my nutritionist before they move me to puree.. WHAT THE FUCK. I get thats the usual protocol (even though comparatively its very strict) but I'm clearly not the average case....Anyone ever disagree with a nutritionist??

When you are this early post-op it's all about the texture. Listen to your NUT. If you advance your diet too quickly it can cause damage and set back your recovery. It's not forever.

I am with the nutritionist on this one. You just had surgery. The wounds are not healed. Why risk damaging your stomach. There are a variety of Protein shakes, Protein powders available. I didn't like the taste of Protein Shakes either. But I experimented until I found one that I could tolerate. Everyones taste buds are different so what I find tolerable, others may not. I used "Muscle Milk Light (vanilla creme)" powder blended in Water with a half a banana. Actually hot cocoa is not bad but you have to use the "no sugar added" variety. After surgery, I was lactose intolerant for a couple months, so this option did not work for me in the beginning.

After surgery, the most critical elements are protein, fluids and Vitamins. food is secondary because your body is converting stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

@StephOnTheMove I'm so sorry you didn't get the response you'd hoped for but I agree with the others here. Your NUT only has your best interest at heart. Since she said you can have pudding, I have a solution for you which can help you get your Protein in and not stress the stitches of your new pouch. There are several flavors to choose from so that should help as well. If I were you, I'd blend it a little longer so it's thinner :D

Premier Protein pudding Cups or Pops

Prepare pudding according to package directions replacing milk with chocolate Premier Protein shake. I prefer to use my NutriBullet. If using shaker, shake for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly. Pour into ½ cup containers for pudding cups. For frozen pops, pour into Jello pudding pop or any popsicle molds. Jello molds hold 1/3 cup each. Pudding cups set in 5 minutes and freezer pops in approx. 2-3 hours. Any flavor sugar-free fat-free pudding works, so get creative and enjoy!

Nutrition Facts – Pudding Nutrition Facts – Pudding Pop

Serving size: ½ cup Serving Size: 1 Pop

Calories 93 Calories 62

Fat 1g Fat 1g

Carbs 10g Carbs 7g

Fiber 2g Fiber 1g

Sugars 0g Sugars 0g

Protein 12g Protein 8g

post-236324-0-38390300-1445033106_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-90934000-1445033138_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-37257500-1445033152_thumb.jpg

when you say you're having problems with the Protein Shakes, what kind of problems do you have? Do you throw them up? Is it difficult because of the taste or smell or texture?

@@StephOnTheMove I'm so sorry you didn't get the response you'd hoped for but I agree with the others here. Your NUT only has your best interest at heart. Since she said you can have pudding, I have a solution for you which can help you get your Protein in and not stress the stitches of your new pouch. There are several flavors to choose from so that should help as well. If I were you, I'd blend it a little longer so it's thinner :D

Premier Protein pudding Cups or Pops

Prepare pudding according to package directions replacing milk with chocolate Premier Protein shake. I prefer to use my NutriBullet. If using shaker, shake for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly. Pour into ½ cup containers for pudding cups. For frozen pops, pour into Jello pudding pop or any popsicle molds. Jello molds hold 1/3 cup each. Pudding cups set in 5 minutes and freezer pops in approx. 2-3 hours. Any flavor sugar-free fat-free pudding works, so get creative and enjoy!

Nutrition Facts – Pudding Nutrition Facts – Pudding Pop

Serving size: ½ cup Serving Size: 1 Pop

Calories 93 Calories 62

Fat 1g Fat 1g

Carbs 10g Carbs 7g

Fiber 2g Fiber 1g

Sugars 0g Sugars 0g

Protein 12g Protein 8g

I love love this idea thank you!

At two weeks out I got the all clear for puréed foods. Which sounds a lot like what she's telling you to eat. There are so many things you can purée up. I liked cooked carrots, peas and also ricotta bake. The reason they don't want you to eat something so "solid" is just due to the internal incisions healing. They do t what to risk you getting a leak. It sucks, I know, Protein starts to taste awful after all this time but try some puréed food.

At two weeks out I got the all clear for puréed foods. Which sounds a lot like what she's telling you to eat. There are so many things you can purée up. I liked cooked carrots, peas and also ricotta bake. The reason they don't want you to eat something so "solid" is just due to the internal incisions healing. They do t what to risk you getting a leak. It sucks, I know, Protein starts to taste awful after all this time but try some puréed food.< /p>

No I can't have anything pureed only the full liquid diet... I'm crossing my fingers she'll move me to pureed sooner rather than later... I can't eat... or rather drink many things on the full liquids because or the smell or taste or my tolerance... its frustrating.

It's all about healing at this stage. Please listen to your nutritionist advise you have plenty time to work on your Protein. Good luck finding a new shake : )

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling.

I'm sure it's no fun.

There are unflavored Protein powders from unjury. I've tried them and mixed with my ice Water. No issues. It just went down like Water.< /p>

As far as the cheese.....in addition to it being calorie dense, her main concern may have been how difficult it is to digest. You are putting a workload on your new stomach before your program allows.

This is a safety concern that hopefully you'll understand.

Getting past the smell or taste thing seems like something that can be safely battled through.....especially with the tasteless Protein available. Go to a GNC today and get something that will work.

@@StephOnTheMove please be careful with the Tomato Soup. She may be a NUT but did she tell you that most Tomato Soups have A LOT of sugar in them. I'm two months out and I haven't eaten that Soup yet. Please be careful but also use your best judgement.

Edited by loo loo

It's odd to me that I'm only allowed two soups... Tomato and butternut squash. I did check the label and purchased the low sodium organic one and it doesn't have much sugar... I think 3 grams... plus I don't eat a whole serving (1 cup) .. so my intake is half of that. Aside from that... I'm having issues with all liquids and anything sweet. pudding isn't working I get really bad cramps, my old friend Jello no longer agrees with me and the same for yogurt. I think the liquids will get better when my nausea issue is resolved... I'm hoping to get medicine for that from my doctor Tuesday. I've been battling getting my liquids in as best I can with the sip sip sip method. It takes forever but its doable... I just can't wait to be able to drink without constantly feeling like I'm going to hurl. In terms of the shakes... Thank you all for the suggestions... but I'm not tolerating lactose so they pretty much all have been a no go. My nut says I can't have powder Protein yet either but when I can I will try that unjury flavorless powder. That sounds like something that might work! I'm trying to tay positive but this phase has proven much more difficult than anticipated... one day at a time.

Yeah I mixed my unflavored Unjury with all my Soups and it really helped. It doesn't taste bad.