Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes

I am post op day 3 today and I am starting on Protein Shakes. How long is it supposed to take me to drink on 11 oz pre made Protein Shake? I do have some discomfort when I swallow but nothing that is too tough to deal with.

There is no rush on it. Just aim for staying hydrated and meeting your Protein and fluid goals. It may take some time to work up to meeting the bare minimum requirements.

It depends upon how much inflammation you have in your stomach which leads to how quickly fluids pass through it - you may have only the equivalent of a soda or cocktail straw sized passage going through so things may go fairly slowly, or you may more of a passage the size of a marking pen where Fluid pass fairly quickly. My wife, when she went through this years ago could only move her nominal stomach capacity of 4 oz of Protein shake through in a sitting of a half hour or so, while I could pass a cup and a half or more of fluids through in that time - both were within the "normal" range of expected results that first week or two according to the doc.

Sip as much as you are comfortable drinking for now - guidelines from different docs vary from sipping an ounce every five minutes to an ounce every fifteen minutes; even at that lower five minute guideline, that would take you an hour to drink that shake. If you can do it quicker than that comfortably, that's no problem, but likewise it's no worry if it takes longer for now.

I tend to take a long time drinking mine. I tend to drink half in 1 - 2 hours.

Then I will drink the rest later in the day.

I do get through two of the 30g, 11oz Premier Protein drinks per day.

When I get to my limit, I feel like a could burp or gag, so I know my stomach must be close to full.

I am also taking sips of Water, Soup, tea and clear Isopure, as well as biting on my SF popsicles throughout the day spread out. I am tracking my input on myfitnesspal.

I am one week, one day post-op.

@@thisfathasgot2go we had our surgery at about the same time, it appears. I was looking to see how far off or on track I've been with my Protein Drinks, etc. Meh, I'm slacking. I need to get in another shake. I had a hernia repair though and I think that pain is slowing me down a bit. Good info though!

Are you on MyFitnessPal? You can see what I eat there. I am not pushing it. I am staying on the prescribed menu by my NUT. The stuff ain't the best tasting, but its tolerable and I try to mix it up a bit, adding PB2 powder to the Premier vanilla, adding some cinnamon to the butternut squash Soup, etc. Trying stuff warm, trying it cold, etc.

With the two Premier drinks, I can get 60g of Protein right there. (22oz liquid)

Then adding the yogurt, it's an additional 12g. Protein (5 oz liquid)

The half a bottle of clear Isopure is 20oz protein. (10 oz liquid)

I add Water to try and get my total liquid intake to 64oz (10 oz liquid)

Creamy Soups are negligible protein unless I add powdered Isopure. (4 oz liquid)

Tea (4 oz liquid)

Prune (diluted) (4 oz liquid)

Various sips of Water throughout day (8 oz liquid)

This is pretty much my goal daily.

I'm just finishing one as I type this. It took me about 10 minutes to drink 11 ounces. I have virtually no restriction on liquids, but big time on mush. It takes me a half an hour to eat 3 ounces of cottage cheese or refried Beans.

My VSG was 10/6/15...

I had my VSG on 10/12, so I guess I am day 5 post op. Today I drank my shake in about 30 minutes.

Edited by drwtx

5th day out here.

I take my time and work through 3 a day.

I'll sip on i for a while....pu the lid back on and it goes back into the fridge for a while.

I'm sorta behind today. I've had 1.5 of the 3.

I've been more pushy on my Water.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches