Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average Weight Loss per month

What is everyone's average weight loss per month?

It has really varied, week by week. One pound here, two pounds there. I'm not actually sure how much it works out to per month, but I've lost a total of 58 pounds in 4 months.

You can see how much weight I lost each month in my signature. The first few months were a little more, but I would say it was really steady at about 6 pounds per month in the middle there and then tapered off to about 2 pounds per month as I got very close to goal. I'm supposed to be in maintenance now, but I have continued to lose a little since reaching goal at the end of August.

@JamieLogical I like how you kept a record of your weight loss. I am doing that manually on my calendar but will look to see how I can do it like you did on here. 6 lb loss a month will discourage me. I'm hoping to lose AT LEAST 12 lbs a month.

I'm hoping to lose AT LEAST 12 lbs a month.

Why? I reached my goal just losing 6 pounds a month. This is a marathon, not a race. What does it matter how long it takes to get to goal... this is the rest of your life we're talking about! In my early days, I was frustrated by being a "slow loser", but then I realized that this wasn't a diet. I would never be "done" with my sleeve. There was no finish line. It really helped me become more zen about the whole thing.

@JamieLogical True. I know I didn't put this weight on overnight and can't expect it to come all off overnight. I just want it OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I'll get there.

@@JamieLogical I like how you kept a record of your weight loss. I am doing that manually on my calendar but will look to see how I can do it like you did on here. 6 lb loss a month will discourage me. I'm hoping to lose AT LEAST 12 lbs a month.

If so, you are setting yourself up for aggravation and anxiety. You are not in charge of the numbers on the scale. You ARE in charge of getting in all your Protein and Water every day and following your plan.

@JamieLogical True. I know I didn't put this weight on overnight and can't expect it to come all off overnight. I just want it OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I'll get there.

There are actually a lot of benefits to losing more slowly. It takes far less of a toll on your hair, teeth, body, and skin. You won't be replacing your wardrobe as quickly and often. People don't notice as much so you don't get as many awkward questions and comments. You have time to mentally adjust to the new you. A LOT of people on these forums experience body dismorphia where they have a hard time seeing themselves as the really are. I think this can be worse in people who lose really quickly and their brain has a hard time keeping up with the reality.

Oh! Another thing I have noted. It seems like people who lose faster also lose more muscle. I tracked my body fat percentage throughout my weight loss journey, as my BFP goal was more important to my nutritionist than a straight up weight loss goal. On the day of my surgery, I weighed 236 and had a BFP of 48.2%. That means I had almost 114 pounds of fat.

Today I weigh 162 and have a BFP of 22.8. That means I only have 37 pounds of fat.

I lost 77 pounds of fat, but only 74 pounds of weight. That means I actually GAINED 3 pounds of muscle!

I worked hard to get all of my Protein in and I exercised at least 4 times a week. While that may have slowed the numbers on the scale, it certainly helped make me much more healthy and fit!

My average loss was 1.76 a week. I'm almost a year post-op.

post-233184-144475286857_thumb.jpg

post-233184-14447528837598_thumb.jpg

post-247590-0-77572900-1444753361_thumb.jpg

I found a weight loss expectations image and found it pretty accurate for me. I'll try to paste it here.

Edited by Madmax68

I have no idea but I've lost 110 lbs in 10 months so I guess 11 lbs if you do it that way BUT it's not accurate. It varies from week to week. DO NOT use my numbers as YOUR guide. You will be different. NO comparing!!!

I'm a little ahead of the game but I love the chart. It keeps my expectations in check.

I'm 13 days out and I've lost 19 pounds.

My weight was 235 on surgery day. (I was 257 when I started my program)

@JamieLogical I like how you kept a record of your weight loss. I am doing that manually on my calendar but will look to see how I can do it like you did on here. 6 lb loss a month will discourage me. I'm hoping to lose AT LEAST 12 lbs a month.

You can't expect to lose a certain amount in a given time. All that does is sets you up for discouragement when you don't reach it. I'm 9 mo's out from surgery and have 15 lbs to go to my goal. I've gone months with no weight loss. I don't do anything different, I eat the same, exercise the same, etc. It comes off when it comes off. I've found by not fretting over when it happens and how much it happens, when it does happen, I'm happy and pleased but not disappointed constantly by not seeing scale move. I'm smaller than I've been in 20 years....and I'll take that. I feel better than I have in years as well. One day at a time, my friend...that's all that matters.

So what happens once it's off? Do you think you're "done" and you will live happily ever after?

The work is NEVER done. Enjoy the ride, learn as much as you can about health and nutrition, and don't compare your losses to anyone else. The next thing you know, you'll be where you want to be.

Then the hard work really starts....