Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it Depression?

Hello all,

So I'm questioning whether I'm going thru a depression?? My weight prior to pre op was 240 which started August 17 and I weighed myself this morning and I'm currently at 214. Now my thing is I'm glad I did the surgery but I don't seem to be as excited as everyone else on here for my weight loss. To me it's just like ahh ok. I went back to work last week and people at work noticed my weight loss (they knew that I took the time off for surgery but I did not specify what surgery) and they comment oooh you've lost some weight and I just say yeah just a little and I try to change the subject. Or I'll have some that will just give me a double take and after I realize they did the double take I'll hide my face. Why am I NOT excited about my weight loss?? I see a therapist on a weekly basis and she has suggested that I'm depressed. I also have no motivation to exercise!!! But I will go on a 3 mile walk at least two or three times a week but I have to push myself to do so!!! Everyone else on here seems to have all this energy and I just want to stay in bed!!! Where's my ENERGY, MY MOTIVATION AND MY HAPPINESS FOR THIS HUGE CHANGE I'VE MADE IN MY LIFE?!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far.

One thing I have found is that this process seems to be very complex in some ways. I do know that as we lose fat, our hormones can fluctuate wildly which can affect our moods and emotions. In addition, for those of us who are used to using food to manage feelings, and emotions, not being able to use food in that way can cause erratic moods.

You are going rough a tremendous physical and mental change. It is very possible that you are depressed and/or are still processing a lot of changes.

It's great that you have a therapist who can help you process all of this.

Litzy,

I had my surgery on the 31st of Aug and I am in the same place that you are! I think personally that it is a slow road for both healing and getting that energy everyone speaks of and for the actual weight loss itself. My thinking is after going through such trauma to your body we except a more dramatic change. It seams to be pretty easy to get down. Plus we have all kinds of hormones being released into our system that can be a serious overload tour systems.

I think our expectations are much higher before surgery, that the weight will just melt off very quickly, at least that was mine. I was sleeved 8/3 and have lost 24 lbs, which I am grateful for but thought I would be ahead 10 or 12 lbs. Doc says slow and steady is best. Total I am down with pro-op 39lbs, but again thought it would have been more by now. No one that I have not seen in a while as even noticed, or at least they said nothing so I feel upset. I just keep telling myself, the surgeon did his part, I am doing mine by eating well, and so very little compared to before and then let it take its course. People on here are very encouraging and that does help, good luck

Have your vit D levels checked. You sound just like I feel when my D is low.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far.

One thing I have found is that this process seems to be very complex in some ways. I do know that as we lose fat, our hormones can fluctuate wildly which can affect our moods and emotions. In addition, for those of us who are used to using food to manage feelings, and emotions, not being able to use food in that way can cause erratic moods.

You are going rough a tremendous physical and mental change. It is very possible that you are depressed and/or are still processing a lot of changes.

It's great that you have a therapist who can help you process all of this.

Thank you... I appreciate your response!!! And I guess as long as the fat is the cause of this when it's all gone then I HOPE that I can get back to normal!!! ????

Litzy,

I had my surgery on the 31st of Aug and I am in the same place that you are! I think personally that it is a slow road for both healing and getting that energy everyone speaks of and for the actual weight loss itself. My thinking is after going through such trauma to your body we except a more dramatic change. It seams to be pretty easy to get down. Plus we have all kinds of hormones being released into our system that can be a serious overload tour systems.

I also had surgery on the 31 of August... Yayyyy!!!! But this emotional battle is hard. I was talking to a friend the other day and they asked how everything went and is currently going and I said this surgery took more of an emotional toll on me then physically.. I truly believe that!!! But thank you for your response.. I really appreciate it!!!

I think our expectations are much higher before surgery, that the weight will just melt off very quickly, at least that was mine. I was sleeved 8/3 and have lost 24 lbs, which I am grateful for but thought I would be ahead 10 or 12 lbs. Doc says slow and steady is best. Total I am down with pro-op 39lbs, but again thought it would have been more by now. No one that I have not seen in a while as even noticed, or at least they said nothing so I feel upset. I just keep telling myself, the surgeon did his part, I am doing mine by eating well, and so very little compared to before and then let it take its course. People on here are very encouraging and that does help, good luck

thank you... Good Luck on your journey as well!!!

Have your vit D levels checked. You sound just like I feel when my D is low.

Thank you I will check. I take a Multivitamin in the am and pm. I also take Vitamin D 1200, Calcium with Vitamin D, Biotin, Iron and Vitamin C. I try to make sure and take my Vitamins if anything cause I don't need more problems than I already have. But I will be making an appt with the Dr to get blood work being as I have not had any bloodwork done since the end of August.

Much good advice.

I felt ... not quite human... the first TWELVE WEEKS post op. I wasn't in physical misery... but I was kinda numb in many ways.

I have a somewhat driven/type a personality type so I was able to slide into the mode of focusing on my rules, my food, exercise ... and then waited. Maybe I was depressed too - I dunno, I didn't feel that way at the time. I was more just "flat". I have a long history of using food to get that calm feeling - it was described to me that I used food as an emotional ballast. I kind of related to that remark; I was following the sleever rules which did NOT really support my food as emotional ballast situation! I was flat, not quite myself.

Then, enough weight came off that I could do things! I was still quite overweight, but I went on a little hike with my college age son and I felt so happy I could do a normal Mom thing! I got fitter an fitter and then Mothers day became a hiking tradition where I kick ass!

I think you can imagine how those experiences would shift the feelings too! Having said all that, get meds if that is what will get you started back on track! No reason to cut ourselves short on life - Only you know if that is a good option.

I had lost 50# before anyone noticed (besides a close friend who complimented non existant weight loss!).

Much good advice.

I felt ... not quite human... the first TWELVE WEEKS post op. I wasn't in physical misery... but I was kinda numb in many ways.

I have a somewhat driven/type a personality type so I was able to slide into the mode of focusing on my rules, my food, exercise ... and then waited. Maybe I was depressed too - I dunno, I didn't feel that way at the time. I was more just "flat". I have a long history of using food to get that calm feeling - it was described to me that I used food as an emotional ballast. I kind of related to that remark; I was following the sleever rules which did NOT really support my food as emotional ballast situation! I was flat, not quite myself.

Then, enough weight came off that I could do things! I was still quite overweight, but I went on a little hike with my college age son and I felt so happy I could do a normal Mom thing! I got fitter an fitter and then Mothers day became a hiking tradition where I kick ass!

I think you can imagine how those experiences would shift the feelings too! Having said all that, get meds if that is what will get you started back on track! No reason to cut ourselves short on life - Only you know if that is a good option.

I had lost 50# before anyone noticed (besides a close friend who complimented non existant weight loss!).

Wow... I can definitely relate to that...Emotional ballast!!! So now that I'm not allowed my ballast I'm off balance. Now I just gotta figure out how or what to balance myself with. Hmmm

Awesome I hope that I too can kick ass someday!!! Thank you for the clarity!!!

Also sleeved 8/31!!

I have a hard time with this too... I actually take medication for depression, which is very well controlled, but this is different. If I'm feeling flat about my surgery, or I don't really want to talk about it, it's because I don't want to be reminded of how many times I had to fail to get to this point.

I'm thrilled with my progress (45 pounds including 2wk pre-op diet)! I know it was the right decision, and I'm so happy happy I did it. But along with those feelings, are feelings of sadness that I let it get so bad, disappointed that I couldn't do it "on my own," embarrassment at the weight I've lost and gained again and again, for everyone to see. Every other aspect of my life is getting better, I just don't want to think about how I got here.

I think for me, these feelings aren't going to go away for a while. Maybe it just hasn't sunk in yet.... I've been this weight before, so it doesn't feel that much different from all the other times I've lost, just to gain it back. I've been overweight for a long time, it's going to take more than 8 weeks to undo the body issues. I know I'll get there.

As for energy, I still have days where I'm lacking energy and feeling sluggish. And if I do anything physical, even walking, I'm exhausted for the rest of the day. I try to keep my water/protein/calories/vitamins on track, but we are still adjusting to eating so few calories! I think I'm going to give it more time, try to be more active, up my Water, Proteins and calories as appropriate, and wait to see if my energy levels increase.

Good luck to you on this journey!

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

How are you feeling these days ?

Hello... I'm feeling a lot BETTER these days!!! Thank you for asking!!! I just have to remind myself that everyday is a struggle that I'm going to have to conquer. I have only lost 5 pounds since I posted this post but it is what it is. I can't let that get me down. I gotta keep pushing. How are you doing??

Positive thinking equals positive attitude!!!