Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What food to stock, before & after

Jeez, one day it seemed a forever away, all of a sudden the surgery is only 3 weeks away. I have an overwhelming feeling of being scared sh!tless and of being unprepared, mostly food wise. I've read the nutrition requirements over and over but it hasn't quite sunk in.

My surgeon requires only 1 week of the pre-op liquid diet. I'm thinking maybe I'll get a head start and begin 10 days before. But I need your help in stocking my refrigerator.

First, I'm a single guy living alone and basically have no one to help me. I'm not a total idiot in the kitchen, but close to it. [i had to look up the definition of puree!] However, I'm not as dumb as I sound and can get by with a little direction. I would like to stock up for the pre-op and at least a week of post-op, ideally more.

I've yet to decide on a Protein Drink. My dietician recommends powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, but I never heard of it. And what kind? Individual packets, powder, etc? Is there something else recommended? Do supermarkets sell sugar free popsicles? It's true, I haven't the vaguest idea. I use Fresh Direct, an online supermarket, in lieu of walking into the dreaded supermarket. My dietician sez I can eat scrambled eggs thrown into broth and then put through a blender. I don't even own a blender! Actually, I ordered a fancy Vitamix today. What else can I do with it for my pre-op and post-op?

Frankly, I was a little lax with the Protein drinks thinking I would have medi-fast. I have plenty left over from trying it 1000 times. My surgeon said it was okay. But alas, I checked the label today and all the packages expired 3 years ago! That's when I started panicking.

Any help relating to food would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

glenn

I've yet to decide on a Protein drink. My dietician recommends unjury, but I never heard of it. And what kind? Individual packets, powder, etc?

I really like Unjury, particularly the chocolate splendor and chicken Soup flavors. You can get a starter kit from them that includes individual packets of all their flavors plus a food thermometer, which you will need if you are going to mix Protein Powder with hot liquid (e.g. the chicken Soup flavor). I would recommend getting a starter kit plus some extra individual samples of different flavors that look good to you. Once you find something you like after surgery, then you could order a larger tub.

Nashua Nutrition also sells individual Protein samples:

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html

I think all their brands are pretty good -- my particular favorites are Syntrax nectar Sweets, Syntrax Matrix, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, and Chike. Again, buy samples and don't commit to buying a larger amount until you try it after surgery and like it -- or can at least get it down without being too grossed out.

Do supermarkets sell sugar free popsicles?

They do, they also sell sugar free fudgesicles, which I really enjoyed after surgery.

What else can I do with it for my pre-op and post-op?

Make your Protein shakes? I would also start checking out different kinds of liquid you might use to mix your Protein Shakes. Look for Fair Life milk, maybe try something like unsweetened vanilla almond milk or unsweetened cashew milk.

You might also buy some things like G2, Vitamin Water Zero, Powerade Zero, light fruit juice (if approved on your plan -- light cranberry juice was great for me because it isn't as sweet), low sodium V8, different kinds of tea and broth. Good luck!

I bought a Ninja early on and started trying to puree things. I was making meats in the crock pot and saving the broth for veggie purees. I got a case of Apple Melon Isopure. That is the only one I really liked. I also have unjury chicken Soup, GNC Lean 25 vanilla and banana. I just went to pick up Unjury Vanilla for this week during liquid diet. It has less calories and I am mixing it in Silk light soy milk. So, I needed to reduce the calories.

Certain flavors don't taste that great to me with just Water. So, I tried the soy milk. Did your clinic give you a book? I have an entire list that includes both types of foods and meal ideas per meal.

Hope this all comes together for ya soon!

I like the premier shakes as they are pre mixed and 30gms per serving. You can buy them on line especially through Amazon or drugstore.com. Bariatric Advantage is a powder, and you can use to mix your own shakes, lots of ice, you can add fruits and veggies if allowed on your plan. I had ice pops, no sugar added everything, applesauce, Jello, clear Soups, and later down the line creamed Soups. If you have trader Joe's, Whole foods, or Sprouts, they have better choices for you, even Ralphs has some more variety, thats here in California. I was on Clear liquids plus shakes 1st week, then full liquids for 1 week, which means you can add creamy stuff, like Soup, then weeks 3 and 4 were pureed, but I never did really puree in a blender just chew, chew, chew. eggs, soft things. Then week 5 we could eat fish, chicken, vegetables. I know I am getting a little off track. Good luck

Some things vary according to your tastebuds and also according to what your plan allows. I would recommend no more than 2 weeks supply of whatever Protein drink you like. Do a test run on unflavored Protein powders. That sweet Protein shake taste got real old real fast. Being able to have some broth or Soup with unflavored protein added was a real lifesaver for me. Major brands are Isopure, GENEPRO, Syntrax nectar and unjury. In the event that your tastebuds change post op, you have enough to get by. Stick up on broths and clear Soups, greek yogurt, kefir (if you like that sort of thing) and a variety of herbal teas. Speak with the discharge coordinator about home nursing. If you are single and live alone, most plans will cover it. I didn't buy Popsicles, pudding or mashed potatoes even though my plan allowed for it. Read the directions and prep your vitamix. I don't have one but I have a nutra bullet that has been a saving grace. You may need to sleep propped up a bit so perhaps buy a wedge pillow or extra pillows for comfort.

I like the premier shakes too. Wally world sells them. Also, I like Pure Protein Shakes. They have a rich and creamy texture. Something to add to Water for sipping try New Whey Protein Shots. 42 g Protein each. If you can down 1 a day (add to water, very sour otherwise) with a shake or 2, you'll be doing great. Good luck!

Edited by Jazziminna

I stocked up on Premier Protein shakes, Light Greek Yogurt (more Protein than regular yogurt), and no-fat Refried Beans. The Beans have a surprising amount of protein and I could eat them in little tiny containers and they filled me up and gave me a savory fix. I also got no-sugar-added applesauce and ate it daily for the first two weeks. After that, I got over it and gave that up. I still eat the other things regularly though.

I bought little 2 ounce containers to split my yogurt and beans up into and it helped a lot psychologically. Now I use the 4 oz containers for food I make in advance on Sundays for the week. Yay 4 ounces!!

I am also single and a mess in the kitchen but I have come a long way! You will too. Good Luck.