Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Bypass Fears

Hi Everyone!

I had my lap band surgery in 2008. Lost about 100 pounds and then had a baby and threw up everyday for 7 years and had it removed August 21st, 2015. I am having the bypass done November 16th or 23rd 2015. I have had esophagrams and endoscopys to see how much damage my esophagus has. It is irritated and a little damaged and my surgeon has me on Carafate for 6 weeks to try to heal it and the one more endoscopy. The Esophagram showed significant acid reflux and a hernia. I am not worried about all that. They can fix the hernia in surgery. I am mostly scared of going through all this and not loosing weight.

I am 300 as of now. I got down to 260 with the band. I am scared because I don't work out and I might have the desire once I get some weight off but my joints hurt and its hard to just stand up out of a chair. I want to get down to 140 or 150 and I am afraid I wont get there. I think mainly cause the band failed me so bad and I ate the same but slowly started gaining weight back. I also have people I know tell me they know someone who got bypass and lost a ton of weight but gained it all back. Help! Need some encouraging words and maybe your story of success from band to bypass to get me to stop worrying.

Thanks!!!

Yes, you can gain back weight with ANY WLS. That's why the eating habits you adapt must be lifelong. I know the band made you sick, but what were your eating habit like? Were you making smart choices?

I'm almost 6 months post op RNY and down almost 80#'s. I follow my surgeon's instructions to the T... Protein first, no drinking with meals or 30 minutes after. Stick t the basics and don't make it out to be more than it is.

Yes, you can gain back weight with ANY WLS. That's why the eating habits you adapt must be lifelong. I know the band made you sick, but what were your eating habit like? Were you making smart choices?

I'm almost 6 months post op RNY and down almost 80#'s. I follow my surgeon's instructions to the T... Protein first, no drinking with meals or 30 minutes after. Stick t the basics and don't make it out to be more than it is.

I didn't eat healthy cause I was so frustrated that I could barely eat until I threw up 3 times and would be hungry every meal. Not to make excuses but I did give up. I didn't eat a lot at all but I ate unhealthy.

I am worn out tho and feel different this time. After having the band, I know weight loss surgery is not a magic pill and you lose weight no matter what you eat or drink. I am going to try as hard as I can to eat right but I can honestly say I won't exercise for a while ... maybe till next spring.

I feel/felt the exact same way! I had my band removed and bypass the same day 08/22/15. I never felt satiated with the band. It was like the food just sat in my chest and my "real" stomach was hungry so I turned to slider foods. Ice cream was a fav! At least I felt full!

I'm 8 weeks post op now and I FINALLY feel full. Also I haven't vomited once! Not once. It's odd.

I keep thinking, "am I really losing weight? Is this even going to work"? I'm happy to say that yes it IS working! I didn't lose any weight pre op. I started at 307 and I'm now at 268, two months post op. I still have a hard time believing that it's working. It is! I still have a long way to go but....... as long as it's going in the right direction I'm happy. It's a whole other ball game. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Best of luck! It WILL work! ????

p.s. I'm just NOW starting to walk at two months post op and it's not at a crazy pace. Just easy and gentle but I'm moving. ????

I feel/felt the exact same way! I had my band removed and bypass the same day 08/22/15. I never felt satiated with the band. It was like the food just sat in my chest and my "real" stomach was hungry so I turned to slider foods. Ice cream was a fav! At least I felt full!

I'm 8 weeks post op now and I FINALLY feel full. Also I haven't vomited once! Not once. It's odd.

I keep thinking, "am I really losing weight? Is this even going to work"? I'm happy to say that yes it IS working! I didn't lose any weight pre op. I started at 307 and I'm now at 268, two months post op. I still have a hard time believing that it's working. It is! I still have a long way to go but....... as long as it's going in the right direction I'm happy. It's a whole other ball game. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Best of luck! It WILL work! ????

Wow thanks sooooooo much for commenting. Our stories sound exactly alike. It makes me feel better!!!

I had lapband surgery in 2009. I had a terrible surgeon that lacked experience in the WLS field. He was NOT my first, second or third choice for a surgeon (but that's another story). I had my band removed in September 2013. I had been so miserable the last 6 months that I had the band that when it was removed I went crazy eating. I had lost 60 lbs with the band and gained back 30-35 between the time I had it removed and gastric bypass (April 2014). I now have the best surgery center on the planet! LOL I lost the 30 and another 30. I am not at my goal weight (I have other health problems that limit exercise), but I am truly happy with gastric bypass. On August 7, 2015 I had surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. I was home from work and completely (although it did not have to be that way) sedentary for 8 weeks. Guess what? Two days before I returned to work I decided to try on the outfit that I was going to wear; after all, I had been "lounging" for 8 long weeks. My clothes fit perfectly!! I was thrilled! Going from band to gastric bypass was the best thing for me.

All the best to you!

I had lapband surgery in 2009. I had a terrible surgeon that lacked experience in the WLS field. He was NOT my first, second or third choice for a surgeon (but that's another story). I had my band removed in September 2013. I had been so miserable the last 6 months that I had the band that when it was removed I went crazy eating. I had lost 60 lbs with the band and gained back 30-35 between the time I had it removed and gastric bypass (April 2014). I now have the best surgery center on the planet! LOL I lost the 30 and another 30. I am not at my goal weight (I have other health problems that limit exercise), but I am truly happy with gastric bypass. On August 7, 2015 I had surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. I was home from work and completely (although it did not have to be that way) sedentary for 8 weeks. Guess what? Two days before I returned to work I decided to try on the outfit that I was going to wear; after all, I had been "lounging" for 8 long weeks. My clothes fit perfectly!! I was thrilled! Going from band to gastric bypass was the best thing for me.

All the best to you!

What was your start weight. And what is your weight now?

My start weight was 307, I am 5'7". I don't know my weight now because I have an issue with the numbers on the scale. LOL If I get on the scale and I don't like the numbers it can ruin my entire day. So, I judge by my clothes. But, the last time I saw my surgeon, probably in May, I was down to 211, I think. My size 16 skinny jeans do not fit as skinny jeans should. They do not hug me ANYWHERE. My size 14 skinny jeans fit ok in the waist but the legs fit like regular straight leg jeans.

I don't see any way that I will ever afford plastic surgery so I am not anxious to have a lot of saggy flesh. I'd like to lose another 20-25 lbs, but at the moment I'm good. Bear in mind that I am almost 60 years old, so I'm not trying to get "bikini ready". LOL

My start weight was 307, I am 5'7". I don't know my weight now because I have an issue with the numbers on the scale. LOL If I get on the scale and I don't like the numbers it can ruin my entire day. So, I judge by my clothes. But, the last time I saw my surgeon, probably in May, I was down to 211, I think. My size 16 skinny jeans do not fit as skinny jeans should. They do not hug me ANYWHERE. My size 14 skinny jeans fit ok in the waist but the legs fit like regular straight leg jeans.

I don't see any way that I will ever afford plastic surgery so I am not anxious to have a lot of saggy flesh. I'd like to lose another 20-25 lbs, but at the moment I'm good. Bear in mind that I am almost 60 years old, so I'm not trying to get "bikini ready". LOL

That's awesome congrats!

Thanks much Hellcatt.

Wow, its been a long time since I've logged into this site.

I had Lap Band surgery in June of 2009, Lost close to 100lbs and was 15 pounds from goal. The band slipped so I had a revision done, and after that the band was never the same. I couldn't sleep at night the gerd was so painfull. My band was removed in 2011 and I instantly felt better. I've since gained almost all the weight back over the past 4 years and am now completely miserable! I signed up yesterday for an informational meeting at a new center closer to my home and hope that the process doesn't take too long as know that I've finally made up my mind that I want the bypass surgery I want it done as soon as possible!

I so wish that I had gone with the bypass surgery to begin with!!

I am scared because I don't work out and I might have the desire once I get some weight off but my joints hurt and its hard to just stand up out of a chair. I want to get down to 140 or 150 and I am afraid I wont get there. I think mainly cause the band failed me so bad and I ate the same but slowly started gaining weight back. I also have people I know tell me they know someone who got bypass and lost a ton of weight but gained it all back. Help! Need some encouraging words and maybe your story of success from band to bypass to get me to stop worrying.

Hey HCatt,

Thanks for sharing your story. I can relate as my story is very similar.

I know you are scared to try again, because you feel like you failed the lapband. The truth of the matter is that the lapband is not very successful for people with high BMI's. A lot of bariatric doctors wont even perform the surgery anymore.

I just had revision from Lapband to RnY about 2 1/2 months ago. I have already lost 50 lbs (including one month pre op diet). I still have a long way to go, but so far I am very happy with my decision to revise.

I'm not gonna lie. It has not been easy. I am still tempted to eat more than I should. My second month of weight loss was only 10 lbs because I was eating 3 healthy meals and not exercising. (I have arthritis of the knee and am waiting to loose more before putting too much strain on it).

After my 2nd post op doctors visit, I was told I needed to eat only 2 meals max per day and to substitute Breakfast with a Protein drink. I'm following his advise and guess what...the weight is coming off again.

My point in all this is to say that this surgery still requires a lot of hard work and willpower....but it's a heck of a lot easier than the lapband. I no longer have GERD, coughing at night, hiccups all day, trouble swallowing anything healthy...etc, etc.

RnY is way easier.

Weight regain can happen with RnY. I'm terrified it will happen to me as well...which is why I now see a therapist weekly and attend OA meetings once a week. My stomach hunger is almost non existant right now, but the mental and emotional hunger are still there.

Obesity is a lifelong battle (with or without surgery). I chose revision surgery to increase my odds of winning the war against this disease. You must remember that taking no action will inevitably lead to a life in a wheelchair. Once you are immobile the disease usually wins.

Whether you chose to revise or diet on your own...I wish you the best of luck!

But whatever you choose...don't give up the fight!

Edited by Natasha

I am scared because I don't work out and I might have the desire once I get some weight off but my joints hurt and its hard to just stand up out of a chair. I want to get down to 140 or 150 and I am afraid I wont get there. I think mainly cause the band failed me so bad and I ate the same but slowly started gaining weight back. I also have people I know tell me they know someone who got bypass and lost a ton of weight but gained it all back. Help! Need some encouraging words and maybe your story of success from band to bypass to get me to stop worrying.

Hey HCatt,

Thanks for sharing your story. I can relate as my story is very similar.

I know you are scared to try again, because you feel like you failed the lapband. The truth of the matter is that the lapband is not very successful for people with high BMI's. A lot of bariatric doctors wont even perform the surgery anymore.

I just had revision from Lapband to RnY about 2 1/2 months ago. I have already lost 50 lbs (including one month pre op diet). I still have a long way to go, but so far I am very happy with my decision to revise.

I'm not gonna lie. It has not been easy. I am still tempted to eat more than I should. My second month of weight loss was only 10 lbs because I was eating 3 healthy meals and not exercising. (I have arthritis of the knee and am waiting to loose more before putting too much strain on it).

After my 2nd post op doctors visit, I was told I needed to eat only 2 meals max per day and to substitute Breakfast with a Protein drink. I'm following his advise and guess what...the weight is coming off again.

My point in all this is to say that this surgery still requires a lot of hard work and willpower....but it's a heck of a lot easier than the lapband. I no longer have GERD, coughing at night, hiccups all day, trouble swallowing anything healthy...etc, etc.

RnY is way easier.

Weight regain can happen with RnY. I'm terrified it will happen to me as well...which is why I now see a therapist weekly and attend OA meetings once a week. My stomach hunger is almost non existant right now, but the mental and emotional hunger are still there.

Obesity is a lifelong battle (with or without surgery). I chose revision surgery to increase my odds of winning the war against this disease. You must remember that taking no action will inevitable lead to a life in a wheelchair. Once you are immoble the desease usually wins.

Weather you chose to revise or diet on your own...I wish you the best of luck!

But whatever you choose...don't give up the fight!

Thanks! I am definitely having rny. I'm scheduled for surgery next month!!! I'm excited and determined. I KNOW I WILL SUCCEED! I have a YouTube if you wanna follow me and see my journey. Let me know if you have one too... Mine is "Holly's Band to gastric bypass journey". Thanks for the encouragement it really helps!