Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Working out?

I'm nine weeks out from surgery and began walking 4-5k a day a few days after surgery> I;d walk two or three times a day to reach the total. About three weeks ago I bought a refurbished NordicTrack skier and am using that every day for 25-30 minutes. The workout is great and I have really bad knees and have not felt it (the walking was starting to bother my knees). I also want to start using some resistance bands for training, but haven't been able to get motivated. My weight loss has slowed somewhat with the exercise, but I am dropping clothing sizes like crazy! The skiers might be old school, but they work once you find your balance.

I tried joining a gym, but it just wasn't for me. About 3 months out, I purchased a high quality stationary bike and use it 5x per week before work while watching NetFlix. I typically follow with some push ups and crunches. That's it. I burn between 300-500 calories per the bikes computer, but I believe what it does for my metabolism, (particularly doing it first thing in the day since they say you'll burn more for the next several hours) makes the difference. Plus, I've no excuse other than my own laziness at that time of day. No work emergencies, no friends calling, just me getting out of my own way. Some days I don't "feel" it. Those are the days I go light and burn a little less, but I still do it, (unless I'm really sick which is rare). I'm 2 years out this month and maintaining for the last year and 1/2 so must be doing something right!

Lexuskela,

Good question! I think everyone’s different in terms of post-op working out. A lot depends on how much you were working out before surgery – what is your body used to? Don’t push yourself too much. If you’re a beginner and your doctor says okay, just walk for a few times a week, and then increase the length and number of times, and add variety, like swimming or Zumba or weights.

About working out slowing your weight loss due to muscle gain…I wouldn’t worry too much about it. First, it’s hard to gain muscle. You’re going to be gaining a huge amount like several pounds or anything.

Second (and I know this one’s a little bit of a tougher pill to swallow)…so what? If you are eating right and working out so you’re fit and healthy, that’s better than “just” eating right without working out and being fit.

And yes, a pound is a pound. To be technically accurate, muscle is DENSER (not HEAVIER) than fat – the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat. So you can lose inches without losing pounds if you gain muscle while losing fat.

I was never ever an athlete of any type. Four weeks out I started couch to 5k and yoga 3-4 times a week. 10 months out I ran my first half marathon. A year out my body fat had dropped to 18%. 18 months out I ran my first full marathon. I have done a dozen half marathons several relays and triathlons and countless 5 and 10K's. I am currently 20 months out and did a triathlon this morning. If I can do that at age 46 anyone can!

@Jess9395. You ROCK! I'm 54 next month and I'm using you as my inspiration!

I was never ever an athlete of any type. Four weeks out I started couch to 5k and yoga 3-4 times a week. 10 months out I ran my first half marathon. A year out my body fat had dropped to 18%. 18 months out I ran my first full marathon. I have done a dozen half marathons several relays and triathlons and countless 5 and 10K's. I am currently 20 months out and did a triathlon this morning. If I can do that at age 46 anyone can!

Dreaming of following in a similar path!!! You go girl:)

I'm almost 2 weeks post op and if I don't gear up and get back in the cage soon, I swear I'm going to lose my mind. My Dr said two weeks, then I can ease back into it, and after 6 weeks I'm cool to take kicks to the stomach. I guess I need to find a partner willing to lay off the body kicks/knees? I can probably check or eat the leg kicks well enough but I worry about returning them. Still feel a little tug at the main incision site. Ugh. I just know if I don't start back in the gym again... Well, clearly I'm going stir crazy.

I do Zumba 3-4 times per week. I also do yoga 1-2 times per week. I need to add weight in there somewhere. I also try to get in 10,000 steps pretty much every day.

I'm almost 2 weeks post op and if I don't gear up and get back in the cage soon, I swear I'm going to lose my mind. My Dr said two weeks, then I can ease back into it, and after 6 weeks I'm cool to take kicks to the stomach. I guess I need to find a partner willing to lay off the body kicks/knees? I can probably check or eat the leg kicks well enough but I worry about returning them. Still feel a little tug at the main incision site. Ugh. I just know if I don't start back in the gym again... Well, clearly I'm going stir crazy.

That was me. By the end of week 1, I was bored. By the end of week 2, I was going stir crazy. Since I did aquafit, I had to wait for that last big incision to scab over. Week 3 couldn't come fast enough!

I joined a gym yesterday & did a kick boxing class! I love kick boxing .... Love high intensity workouts. Today I feel sore! LOVE THAT!!!! ITS WORKING!! ????????????????????

I was back in the cage tonight, light sparring. Felt so good. 3 more weeks and the surgeon says I won't have to be careful with the stomach anymore and can go back to grappling. I can't wait.

I started working out after 4 weeks. Started walking on the treadmill, then moved on to a walk/run. I currently run 2-3 miles every other day, typically burning about 550 calories. I'm 197 pounds and 5'6, so the number of calories burned goes down as I lose more and more weight.

I use the Map My Run app, which plays my own phone's music and announces each mile after it's been completed, giving me the rate per mile. Love it.

Edited by SleevePerry

I know this isn't what some people want to hear but you mentioned it in your post. I had the band (getting revision next week due to band complications) I lost 101 lbs in my first year and never exercised once. I maintained my weight by eating right until the complications started a year ago.

It can be done without the exercise but I think it's the exception and not the norm.

I started Kickboxing last Oct and loved it but I never lost anything doing it.

Diet is 90% how you get weight off. Exercise is how you get healthy, look toned and helps keep weight off. It's best to do it while we are losing so it helps us keep it off! It also helps reduce jiggling!

Tonight I am going to a Les Mills Body Pump class... 60 minutes says you burn 560 cals & you are using weights too.