Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beverages - Need help!

Prior to surgery I was a BIG Pepsi drinker. When it wasn't Pepsi, it was sweet tea. Since surgery I have had a very difficult time finding a beverage that is acceptable, that I like. I need to be able to deviate from Water (which I can only drink bottled and VERY cold). I have tried various Crystal Light flavors, unsweet tea, tea with sweetners, diet juice and variations on all of them.

My question...are there any former Pepsi drinkers that have found a new beverage to love?

I tried all those as well. Could tolerate them for a short period then would get sick of them. I got to loving caffeine free ice tea, unsweetened. When at home, I drink milk nonstop. I'm just not a Water drinker and if I have to force myself to do it, it makes it worse. Good luck!

I tried all those as well. Could tolerate them for a short period then would get sick of them. I got to loving caffeine free ice tea, unsweetened. When at home, I drink milk nonstop. I'm just not a water drinker and if I have to force myself to do it, it makes it worse. Good luck!

I like Wyler's sugar free lemonade, and my secret vice is Monster Rehab (10 calories). It's not carbonated, has some electrolights, and a bunch of caffeine which can crack your day to 11 when you need it.

It's killer. I know that my Pepsi addiction was a big part of my weight gain, but finding a go-to drink is proving impossible. I am fine with changing my eating habits, so drinks can't be my downfall!

Suggestions please!

I was a COKEAHOLIC. I haven't found a non carbonated replacement for my coca cola but I did find a caffeine free one. I make myself a diet cherry limeade with zero sprite, lime juice and a tiny amount of cherry juice, I haven't had surgery yet so I do this when I need a feel good drink. After surgery I am going to try the same thing but I will try to let the sprite go flat and try it.

I find the debate of carbonated beverages post-op quite interesting. Some surgeons okay with it, most against it and not a whole lot of scientific evidence either way. If carbonation were acceptable, it would open up a whole new world of beverages, diet Pepsi even, but I'm not willing to take the risk.

I was a COKEAHOLIC. I haven't found a non carbonated replacement for my coca cola but I did find a caffeine free one. I make myself a diet cherry limeade with zero sprite, lime juice and a tiny amount of cherry juice, I haven't had surgery yet so I do this when I need a feel good drink. After surgery I am going to try the same thing but I will try to let the sprite go flat and try it.

Doesn't diet Pepsi have caffeine? That is another thing they want us to cut.

I drink Coke Zero with my surgeon's approval. It's not his top choice, but I have met all his other requirements so he allows me this one "vice'. I also drink coffee and that seems to be allowed on most plans so the whole caffeine thing baffles me.

I always laugh when people say that carbonation will stretch a sleeve. I am almost 2.5 years out, have been drinking carbonation for well over a year and I can't eat any more now than I could at 12 months out. I maxed out at 1/2 to 3/4 cup and my surgeon is fairly certain I've reached my max capacity.

Some Drs think caffeine is an appetite stimulant. I find it is the exact opposite. I can drink coffee all day and never eat (this was even before surgery).

My favorite thing right now are stevia Water drops. They add just a little something to my Water, without rat poison sweeteners.

http://sweetleaf.com/stevia-water-enhancer/

Cold brew Black coffee or with a dab of cream is great also.

I use to drink diet coke and coffee every day all day. I actually quit both before I even started looking into WLS. some things you just have to say "its not a part of my life anymore"...there's really no substitute.

I drink hot herbal teas with no sugar in place of coffee. not really a substitute, took some getting use too but I still get to drink something hot in the morning...and there's no caffeine naturally... they are not Decaf (which there is still some caffeine)

Other than that, it Water, Vitamin Water zero, Gatorade g2, or water with flavorpackets (crystal light, propel etc) I want to loose the weight and I want to live a healthier lifestyle so that's just what I have to do and I'm fine with that (and actually have no problem drinking those things)

Flavoured Water?

I wasn't a huge drinker of carbonated drinks but every now again I do miss Diet Coke or lemonade. But I buy flavoured still lemon & lime Water and if I ever feel like lemonade, I have a swig of that. I don't drink it often because I find it too sweet, but it's nice to have on hand if I ever feel like I lemonade.

Also, just another thought - how about trying sugar-free cola flavoured ice lollies? When I was sleeved I bought a pack of flavoured ice lollies for the liquid phase and it included a cola flavour.

Edited by tjstark

Some Drs think caffeine is an appetite stimulant. I find it is the exact opposite. I can drink coffee all day and never eat (this was even before surgery).

The reason my doctor frowns on caffeine is because it is a dehydrator. I am told I must drink an ounce of Water for every ounce of caffeinated beverage.

Caffeine is definitely an appetite suppressant. Caffeine was the main ingredient in the diet pills of the 90s.

My favorite thing right now are stevia Water drops. They add just a little something to my Water, without rat poison sweeteners.

I have been looking for these. Can you only order them online?

The reason my doctor frowns on caffeine is because it is a dehydrator. I am told I must drink an ounce of Water for every ounce of caffeinated beverage.

Caffeine is definitely an appetite suppressant. Caffeine was the main ingredient in the diet pills of the 90s.

There are studies contradicting this line of thought. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

People in the UK drink coffee in the hospital after surgery.

My favorite thing right now are stevia Water drops. They add just a little something to my water, without rat poison sweeteners.

I have been looking for these. Can you only order them online?

I purchased them at my local health food store.

At a place like a comedy club with a 2 drink minimum, what the heck do I order? Literally everything has alcohol, sugar, caffeine or bubbles, or all of thee above. A seltzer with lime used to be the diet drink to order when "out" but no carbonation so that's out. Hate to pay for a glass of tap Water...