Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling emotional, Liquid diet starts tomorrow!

I start my 2 week pre-op liquid diet tomorrow, and surgery is on 10/8/15. Up until this moment I have been very excited and anxious. But as this day gets later, and evening sets in, I am starting to feel like it's the last night of my regular life as I've known it for 29 years. I'm feeling very emotional, and somewhat anxiety ridden with what's ahead. I am more then ready, been contemplating and researching this for many years. I guess I'm just feeling like my new changed life starts tomorrow morning, and I'm almost mourning my old life. Has anyone else experienced a flood of emotions like this before surgery? I'm also really nervous about how I'll feel the night before and the day of surgery. How did you control your emotions and stay rational? Thanks

I can totally relate. I have my surgery in one week, this preop diet is kicking my butt. Just getting through it a day at a time. Evenings are the toughest, as I would always get takeout for dinner (and then snack until bedtime). I'm grieving, as well. I think that this is perfectly normal! Think of all the wonderful things this surgery will bring to your life--that's what I keep telling myself. Hang in, this will be so worth it. (I'm excited to get on a plane for the first time after losing my weight!)

I am two weeks post op and still have issues with my emotions being all over the place. This morning as I arrived home from taking my daughter to school, I saw this women walk by with a Starbucks cup and a McDonald's bag. She was thin, attractive and well dressed. For whatever reason that angered me. It made me feel so stupid for not having self control in the first place.

"Why couldn't I have lost weight on my own?!"

"Why did I have to go so extreme to be healthy?!"

"Why did I do this to myself?!"

I cried and snotted and looked like a total mess as I walked to my front door.

Then it dawned on me as I caught my reflection in the hallway mirror that I have lost a total of 30 pounds (14 before surgery and 16 after), everyday my clothes are getting bigger and I am feeling stronger, healthier and more confident.

I may never have my favorite Starbucks drink or my crappy McD's Breakfast sandwich but I'll have a ton of replacements for the foods I ones I once clung to like a toddler with a pacifier.

Grace2115 I feel the same way..my surgery is Oct 6th. I am very nervous

My surgery is September 30th. I'm officially halfway through my 2 week liquid diet and I want to be honest. The first 5 days were brutal. I was moody. I felt nauseous. I thought I was going to pass out at times. It was just a dramatic change really quick and my body was not ready for it. But now closing day 8 I can say it's a lot easier. I use to miss the junk but I don't really think of it anymore. I know that I need to do this for the safety of my surgery and for my overall long term success of weight loss surgery so I just do it. :) the crazy emotions turn into excitement and the days get easier as you start to realize that this will lead to you being healthier.

Don't get me wrong. It's hard. It's the hardest "diet" I've tried by far, but living with obesity is a lot harder.

I know exactly how you are feeling! I start my liquid phase on Friday and I feel like I need to eat all of my favorites before then.. Like I am saying goodbye forever. I know that this is something I can do and I have researched and thought about this for so long.. Two weeks will fly by! (I hope) :)

It's just the final step to getting our lives back!

Wow, thanks all!!! I feel so much better knowing that I'm not alone. It's hard to find the right ppl to talk to about this because I have found that people are so opinionated. Many have preconceived notions about what this surgery is all about, and although I'm not ashamed of my choice, I chose not to explain and defend it to everyone I talk to.

I had surgery on 9/10 and this was actually all I could think before going in. My entire life as I had ever known it was going to change forever! I was never anything but fat all my life! I never had that o I was so thin in high school story lol. I was scared of finally being able to lose the weight, but also how I would handle my new life without the food that I so obviously needed to get through each day. I wondered how "normal" people handle stress, if not with food. I'm also a very confident fatty, but not so sure how I'm going to like my new smaller saggy me ;) I'm ok so far, haven't died from lack of potato chips (even if I do miss them). I'm happy with my decision because I did it for heath reasons and I'm already becoming a healthier me :)

Edited by ccdomaika

@Grace2115@LKB418@Ashlegal@abs0253@Astrosgirl@ccdomaika Let me tell all of you beautiful young ladies it is the BEST decision you will ever make in your lives. Be thankful you didn't wait until you were 53, like me. I have battled obesity for 30+ years and it is no joke. I had a stroke at 52, the day before Thanksgiving 2013 and was left with a debilitating nerve condition on my entire right side. I fought my way back, went through pain rehab in the Summer of 2014 and the final piece of my recovery was to lose this weight and reclaim my life. I had surgery 5 months ago and haven't regretted one minute of it. The liquid diet was a fun challenge to me. I bought a Nutribullet, some flavored liquid Stevia and went to town making my versions of rootbeer floats, flavored coffees, hot chocolate, chocolate ice cream, chai tea lattes and best of all pumpkin spice frappuccinos. You get out of this what you put into it. If you need recipes, I'm here for you. Just let me know what kind of liquid diets you're on. I had surgery at mayo hospital and all I was able to drink were 5 Optifast 8 oz. ready made liquid shakes per day plus Water, coffee or any non-caloric beverage. I have recipes for other stages of the diet as well. My Magic Crust Quiche, pizza and Quest Protein bar Cookies are some of my favorites. I just took pics this past Monday so you can see for yourself that this RNY works! My once tight 3X is now quite loose on me. The black outfit is a size "L". You may need to grieve the loss of your favorite foods but trust me, there are ways of making versions of them that taste just as good! My 80 year old mother still tells me she feel so bad that I can't eat "good" food anymore. I just laugh and tell her I love the food I'm eating. When I look at what my husband, son and most everyone else around me is shoving down their throats, it makes me sick. All of that "good" food is what got me to 285 lbs., at my highest weight. At 5'2" it was nothing more than a death sentence for me! I'm excited for all of you and wish you nothing but the best!!!

post-236324-0-95354900-1443072037_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-55719400-1443072056_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-20158000-1443072063_thumb.jpg

Here are some of my favorite Pre-op liquid diet drinks. I took pics because my NUT couldn't believe how much fun I was having. The first was my pumpkin spice frappuccino, next my English toffee iced coffee and the last one was a thick chocolate shake! I also made rootbeer floats and if you add less ice and only pulse it a few seconds you'll have more of an ice cream texture. The flavored liquid Stevia's are a staple for me even today. They come in so many tasty flavors. Be creative and use your Nutribullet if you have one. It adds volume which will fill you up and keep you that way longer. Be sure to put them in pretty glasses because you deserve it. If I'd have just pulled off the little foil and drank from the box I would have been depressed. I was a 100% snacker. Loved chips & dip, cheese & crackers, you name it. If it was crunchy and salty, I was eating it! Add to that pizza, Cookies, etc. I didn't get to 285 lbs. (my highest) eating celery sticks! You ladies can do this and you'll be so glad you did :D

post-236324-0-12792200-1443130489_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-66411000-1443130511_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-15226200-1443130532_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-65597200-1443130952_thumb.jpg

@@beachgal2935 Thank you for your words of encouragement! I'm not too much younger than you... I'm 46 and have been overweight since I was under 10 years old. Excited about this upcoming change in my life! (And accepting and working through the grieving stage of this positive life choice!)

Here are some of my favorite Pre-op liquid diet drinks. I took pics because my NUT couldn't believe how much fun I was having. The first was my pumpkin spice frappuccino, next my English toffee iced coffee and the last one was a thick chocolate shake! I also made rootbeer floats and if you add less ice and only pulse it a few seconds you'll have more of an ice cream texture. The flavored liquid Stevia's are a staple for me even today. They come in so many tasty flavors. Be creative and use your Nutribullet if you have one. It adds volume which will fill you up and keep you that way longer. Be sure to put them in pretty glasses because you deserve it. If I'd have just pulled off the little foil and drank from the box I would have been depressed. I was a 100% snacker. Loved chips & dip, cheese & crackers, you name it. If it was crunchy and salty, I was eating it! Add to that pizza, Cookies, etc. I didn't get to 285 lbs. (my highest) eating celery sticks! You ladies can do this and you'll be so glad you did :D

I have only tried stevia once and it had a strong after taste..are the flavors any better

Edited by abs0253

@@abs0253 Yes they are delicious! I've tried the powdered version and it makes me gag. My #1 fave is the English toffee and I've used it in my coffee for about 3 years now. I carry one with me in my purse. When I go out with my girlfriends on Monday's , after we go to lunch and shopping, we always stop in at Starbucks. I bring my vanilla Premier Protein shake in a little cooler and order a tall brewed decafe coffee and add a few drops with half of the shake. Makes the BEST tasting latte for only 80 calories with 15 grams of protein! If I want it cold, I just ask for a venti cup of ice. Where there's a will, there's most definitely a way ;)

Wow, thanks for all the great advice!!!

So, I just ordered pumpkin spice and English toffee to get me started. Thanks for the tip!!! ????????