Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One day post op and in so much pain

Hi I had my surgery yesterday and the gas pain is unbelievable. I've tried gas x, warm Water and I have walked and walked and walked. I don't know what else to do. I can't even sit up in bed. I'm only slightly less in pain if standing. It's under one of my breaks near my rib age then another one lower abdomen. I also dry heaved twice and it was rough I'm worried about busting a staple. I tried a sugar free Popsicle got about four licks and immediately started dry heaving. I am in so much pain and have no idea what else to do. I am taking my liquid hydrocodon but it takes forever to kick I .

The first few days are the worst. You just have to sort if get thru it and don't dehydrate. Sip tiny sips all day. Try a heating pad and keep taking the Gas-X. (Depends on what form you care taking but I take whatever max dose is on the box). I don't know about the dry heaving. If you cannot keep Fluid down, you will need to call the Dr and get back toothed hospital for fluids. Hang in there. Gets better on Day 4 or 5

Walking and when laying down lay to your left side it helps move air around in your colon. Small sips. Really cold things at first made my tummy turn. Water at room temp. broth was also good. Good luck it does get better.

This is normal. As other's have stated be sure you are taking your pain meds and take your time. You are only one day out of surgery! Also I don't think you need to be pushing the walking at 1 day out. Take it easy. Walking is good but not excessively. This is not a race.

The liquid pain med is 4 hours, don't skip.

You won't be on anything soft (other than broth and jello) for a week or so. Again take your time.

Make sure to drink your broth and Water. Slowly, it's going to take a bit to get your system to settle down.

Also make sure you are taking your antacid med daily as proscribed.

The first week can be rough, you will get through it.

Walking was the best medicine for me.

Sept 10-11 were my absolute worst days, bar none.

When I first woke up they made me cough, I simply passed out.

What I did find was that while they were giving me Dilaudid it did not work nearly as well as Vicodin/Hydrocodon.

As others have said don't skip sipping, etc.

You need to stay hydrated.

Keep in mind they would have pumped you full of CO2 during surgery and it will eventually make its way out.

Take your meds religiously - don't leave much of a gap if any.

If you are still in the hospital make sure they don't leave much of a gap.

Get up and walk around, just laps around the floor really helped me.

Do you have a drain in?

I had terrible muscle spasms from mine, made me unable to walk with it in.

That was a 3rd day occurrence for me & once they took it out it made me a lot more comfortable.

I don't think anyone can prepare you for the pain but 13 days out I'm sore but not in crippling pain.

The pain lasted a good 5-6 days but the only saving grace is that your body can't remember it so once you are past it you are done.

Best of luck, stick with it.

I am so sorry! I can sympathize: I literally thought I was having a heart attack bc the left under-breast/shoulder pain was so bad. Unfortunately I don't have much advice... Mine got much better after they pulled the drain... But not all the way gone for a few more days.

Thank you all for the tips and advice. I really appreciate and fingers crossed this gas bubble finds its way out soon!

Hi I had my surgery yesterday and the gas pain is unbelievable. I've tried gas x, warm Water and I have walked and walked and walked. I don't know what else to do. I can't even sit up in bed. I'm only slightly less in pain if standing. It's under one of my breaks near my rib age then another one lower abdomen. I also dry heaved twice and it was rough I'm worried about busting a staple. I tried a sugar free Popsicle got about four licks and immediately started dry heaving. I am in so much pain and have no idea what else to do. I am taking my liquid hydrocodon but it takes forever to kick I .

Mine was on the 21st and the gas pain is killing me. I can't swallow the smallest sip without getting chest pains from the gas. I've taken the gas-x strips and I've walked and walked around the block but it doesn't help me to pass any gas. I've been ok with the nausea because I still have that patch behind my ear and they gave me pills that dissolve under your tongue and capsules you break open and put into Water to stop the nausea.

It's really hard for me to drink enough water, and I haven't had any Protein shakes or anything. On a side note, I haven't taken my meds for days and my sugar is lower than ever which could be from not eating or drinking. My blood pressure is perfect and hopefully this means I'll be off all meds soon.

I'm up a few pounds since surgery but I think it could be the saline they shot into my body that has to go away.

On the few occasions I could pass any gas, the relief was awesome. I feel like I need a few big ones and I'll be right as rain.

I'm sore as hell. I haven't had an food since the surgery 2 days ago, and I can barely swallow a mouth full of water and when I do, I get chest pains from all of the gas. Luckily I walked enough to day that I was able to fart a few times and that really helped. I thought I might have broken my hand last night. I can't even make a tight fist. My doctor says it's a sprain because I wouldn't be able to wiggle my fingers if it were broken, so that's good news.
I think I rolled over on it and twisted it somehow, but the back of my hand near my wrist hurts like a son of a bitch. I'm trying to stick to the program but it's not easy. The liquid Vicodin they gave me is ok, but it doesn't hold a candle to the dilauded pain killer they gave me at the hospital. That had me feeling just fine in under a minute.
My incision spots don't really hurt other than the big one on the left. I have to wear these support stockings to prevent blood clots. I took them off before but I'll have to put them back on because walking around was much easier with them on. I normally don't wear stockings until Saturday night and the hospital said they don't have any fishnet support hose so I guess I'm going to have to wait a bit. ;)

I pray that you feel better.

Oh boy, does this sound just like me. I'm going crazy trying to get fluids in. I've had IV fluids 3 days in a row but I can't catch up (bright yellow/orange pee). I'm in so much pain-it kills to drink anything. I'm heading out now for some more fluids and some new pain med. Oxy gave me a Migraine last night! That's all I need is more pain. Keep after them to help you. This is miserable. I had my sleeve 10 days ago. Good luck!