Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think some are forgetting that a food funeral prior to pre-op doesn't need to be a crappy food feast of McDonalds, Burger King, chips and brownies.

You can have a food funeral with healthy stuff. As I mentioned above I love a nice hearty steak, so my food funeral will consist of a fillet migon with some veggies and a salad. This will also be several days before pre-op kicks in.

I think maybe my title is slightly wrong and midleading! I'm not binge eating or over eating at any meal. It's more feeling slightly sad about missing food and very meticulous planning my meals before surgery. I'm not over indulging on anything, I'm still counting calories, and making sure I eat high Protein. I guess it's the reality I'm having surgery next month. My YEAR long insurance requirement made it hard to think this day would ever come & now I'm soooo close. I'm dealing with a lot of mixed emotions. Thanks for all the feedback.

Edited by linzlou2000

I definitely had food funerals. There was a lot of mourning to be done! Don't feel guilty. Get it out of your system.

I didn't do food funerals. In fact, I put myself on my own diet (1,400 calories/day) for two months prior to the surgeon's two-week pre-op diet.

I was so ready to get my WLS show on the road I couldn't WAIT to start losing weight and changing my life.

So no, "everybody" doesn't do food funerals. And I'm not the only one who's had WLS who skipped the pre-WLS pig-outs.

@@tacocat I hit FDC three times in July (8/6 surgery). You know how to do it. I amped up the frequency of visits in hopes of growing tired of it and getting it off my mind for post-surgery life (kind of required). Not exactly successful, but my final memories with the friends I went with were great. Other than deep dish pizza, nothing else was as important to me as a clean break with FDC.

I agree, I am having a huge leftover crisis now as well.

I'm having a food funeral right now. Me and my co worker always go to Wendy's on the third Tuesday of the Month for lunch. Right now I'm mourning the loss of Wendy's chicken Nuggets and Frosty. But actually since I've been doing the pre-pre-op diet this is not as tasty as I remember. :-/ I'm probably not even going to eat it all. Especially not the fries. Meeeh.

I'm having a food funeral right now. Me and my co worker always go to Wendy's on the third Tuesday of the Month for lunch. Right now I'm mourning the loss of Wendy's chicken Nuggets and Frosty. But actually since I've been doing the pre-pre-op diet this is not as tasty as I remember. :-/ I'm probably not even going to eat it all. Especially not the fries. Meeeh.

I've given up fries too!!!!! Good luck on your journey.

I did it for sure ... I made a list of things I wanted to taste / eat before surgery .. and I made it happen ... because I KNEW that once surgery was done ... I was also done eating those things ...

Guess we just have to have one last hurrah!

As others have posted here, a food funeral doesn't mean bad stuff. I love steak, corn on the cob, chips and salsa, mexican fooooood, etc. Last night I took my mom to dinner to Celebrate the sale of our house. I decided to use the special dinner as a food funeral dinner and we had bite size steak (a regional specialty). It's going to be a long time before I can have steak and I enjoyed every savory bite.

I love love love Thanksgiving dinner and won't be able to have any of it this year. Our church has a bazaar in Oct and serves Thanksgiving style dinner with all the fixings and I was hoping to have it before starting pre op. I found out today that it's a week after my surgery. Bummer. But I will survive :)

As others have posted here, a food funeral doesn't mean bad stuff. I love steak, corn on the cob, chips and salsa, mexican fooooood, etc. Last night I took my mom to dinner to Celebrate the sale of our house. I decided to use the special dinner as a food funeral dinner and we had bite size steak (a regional specialty). It's going to be a long time before I can have steak and I enjoyed every savory bite.

I love love love Thanksgiving dinner and won't be able to have any of it this year. Our church has a bazaar in Oct and serves Thanksgiving style dinner with all the fixings and I was hoping to have it before starting pre op. I found out today that it's a week after my surgery. Bummer. But I will survive :)

I'm worried about thanksgiving too! Lol

I'm worried about thanksgiving too! Lol

Thanksgiving in my house has always been this wonderful ritual of cooking wherein my dad was Head Chef, and God help anyone who stumbles in his kitchen. It meant the kickoff of his annual fudge-a-thon where he would make at least 100 lbs of chocolate fudge to give to family, friends, doctors, and favorite businesses. We would start getting phone calls from businesses and his doctors in October asking if he had started making fudge and to make sure he had them on his list.

On Thanksgiving day, he cooked the turkey and stuffing (from scratch) as well as a half dozen pies. We all have our side dish responsibilities. At dinner we would critique everything, discuss how to make it better, what didn't work, etc. It drove mom out of her mind (she didn't cook anything, not allowed in the kitchen). But by doing so, we had killer recipes for turkey dinner, pies, and homemade fudge.

We lost him a little over a year ago and Thanksgiving was the first major holiday after his death. Last Thanksgiving we trooped into the kitchen and tried to fill his shoes for the first time. We imagined he was lovingly berating us from over our shoulder if we didn't do something quite right or smacking us on the back of the head when we did something wrong. At the end of the day, we sat around the feast with tears in our eyes and marveled at how good and familiar everything tasted. Everything tasted perfect. We had no critique to give. He was with us for just a moment.

This year, we will troop into the kitchen again, this time in a new house, but I will be less than a month post op so I will not be able to taste and be part of that portion of the ritual. It hit me today that I wouldn't be able to do it and it's made me a little weepy. I still mourn his loss every second of the day, but this will be another step towards moving on. In his honor, I decided that I will do what I have shied away from for 15 months. I will make his famous fudge before surgery and pass it out to family and friends. I will have one little bite to critique it, of course.

This will be the first thanksgiving without grandpa who pretty much raised me. I don't know what I'm going to do this year. My surgery is tentatively scheduled for that week and I wonder what my family will say about it. Knowing he'd say to just screw them all and focus on me.

What a beautiful memory!!!! Thank you for sharing it.

Thoughts and prayers for you both.

I considered eating with reckless abandon for the week leading up to surgery. It never happened. Hubby offered to take me out anywhere I wanted this weekend, but we went antiquing instead.

Today I went to lunch with a friend and I enjoyed the same fajita burrito I always get, with the same indigestion. It was delicious, and while I was glad I went, I was thinking how happy I am that I will have the restriction to not stuff myself any more.

I do have to say that knowing that I start my liquid diet tomorrow made my coffee taste so much better this morning. :)