Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery - Emotionally STUCK!

I know this sounds completely crazy but I just recently got my surgery date (Nov 10) which I am excited about, although a little nervous but more excited.
However, since getting the surgery date I feel like I cannot think about anything else. I feel like my life is at a standstill until I have the surgery.
The only reason I can think is that I have had a lifetime of being fat and tried so many different things and I am so, so, so tired of being fat. This has become such an emotional struggle for me, and I think this is the only place I can write about this and have people who understand because many of you have also been through the same things.
Normally I am organized and I get everything done I need to do and am successful as a parent and in my job. But now I feel really like the rest of my life is on hold and all I can think of is getting the surgery done!!! I've never experienced anything like this before. I think I am just so emotionally done and so sick and tired of being overweight!
I really, really hate my body. I hate having to find clothes to wear. I hate that the matter what clothes I put on always look frumpy and horrible! I hate that I get tired with some usual daily activities and I shouldn't be tired with those usual things. I am just so desperate to lose weight and this is a last ditch effort.
Anyway, I think I am just venting because this is the only group of people that can actually understand what I'm saying and feeling. I wonder if any of you got to such an emotional state of desperation about losing weight, although I assume you did with going for surgery.
I am hoping and praying that after the surgery, (I know I will still have to work at it it's not a magic wand, but I will work at it hard) I hope and pray the weight starts coming off quickly and I can start moving around easier and being more motivated to work out and move my body and get things done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone experienced some of these feelings?
Once you had the surgery and the way started coming off for you more motivated to move around, exercise, move your body and get things done?

Wow! I just got my surgery date also it'd Oct. 8th and you just summer up all my feelings an anxieties that I've been going thru since given my date. I love that I'm not alone. This is an amazing forum. I feel as you do. But I'm happy and know that these are just pre surgery jitters. ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

In a one word response...YES! lol As I prepared for surgery it seemed as though my life revolved around the process. At 4 months post-op I have settled into a routine. I still visit here and read and respond to posts and I attend my monthly support group meeting but my life is settling into the new normal.

As time passes you will most likely settle into a routine and life will carry on.

Going through the same thing. Surgery date is set for the 12th and while I am excited, I am so afraid that it will not happen.. Or I won't get the results I wanted.

Time has stood still for me also and I feel like I am going through the motions of the day but not really feeling or enjoying anything at the moment. It's like I am just waiting for the surgery for me to start living again. It's crazy! It's just a moment and it will pass. This time next year we will barely remember this and hopefully be more settled into the NEW Me. I just hope I don't loose too much of the old me inside:)

Hi all! I feel the same way. Almost like time is standing still until that Oct 27th surgery date. I can't study or get anything done because I spend so much time researching all this post-op info!! *ugh* so, hopeful, you are definitely NOT alone in your thoughts. We're right there with you!

I am right there too, your post is exactly how I feel. My date is soon, on the 28th of this month but ever since I got my date a few weeks ago it's like no matter what I am doing, or trying to do, all I can think about is the surgery and reading posts from others who are post-op.

SOOOOO RELIEVED to hear I am not the only one...... ????

A lot of emotional preparation goes along with the surgery, as well as the actual prep you do to gather things you will need after. You can use that energy to get educated on what to expect. This is a great forum, but I also watched utubes of others going through VSG. That was very helpful and prepared me for the journey ahead. You could also listen to Reeger Cortell's weight loss surgery podcast ( she's a bariatric nurse practitioner and has a wealth of information on the surgery, as well as great interviews from others who had surgery). Best of luck!

I felt the EXACT same way before my surgery, and I only had 2 weeks from my 1st appointment to my surgery date to wait.

My one regret is that I didn't slow down and enjoy those last few weeks with my nice, big stomach! I know it sounds crazy, but you'll never ever be able to enjoy food the way you do now.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my sleeve and I love that I've lost 24 lbs in the past 2 weeks, but it's not an easy road ahead.

Take some time and enjoy going to dinner with your friends while you're waiting, take some big bites and don't chew very well! Eat sharp things like chips and salsa and carby and rich things like pancakes. Do everything that I can't and enjoy yourself before your surgery!

I was more than ready too, but live it up while you're waiting because you're about to have the rest of your life to be sleeved. Have fun!

I too am sidetracked by the upcoming surgery on the 22nd. I am typically very hard working and dedicated, however, these days I can't seem to focus on anything but this surgery. I'm not worried about it. I fully understand everything involved but I can't stop thinking about it.

After I got the news that was I approved for surgery I was nervous, excited and scared. Every emotion hit me at once. It was so bad I thought about canceling the surgery didn't know if I was ready for it now that it was really going to happen. 9/17 came and I said there's no turning back now... 3days out and I'm happy as fat kid with cake... Lol. Good luck everyone

That's very normal and understandable. Last suppering helped somewhat with that standstill phenomenon, as my window to enjoy last helpings was closing before my very eyes. However, you guys should also be prepared to have a good deal of mental estate occupied with post-op tasks. I am seven weeks out and the overall management of weight loss and other diet and nutrition care is taking up more than I would've anticipated of my spare time. Don't get me wrong, it is worth it many times over, but don't expect to coast. You will be addicted to crunching your numbers, you will be come obsessive statisticians, and you will want to share your wisdom and experiences with those behind you in this march. It is just another dose of discipline that will be necessary to keep the rest of your life on track as you advance through the stages.

I WAS THE SAME WAY I HAD TO WAIT A VERY VERY LONG TIME FOR MY SURGERY DATE EVEN AFTER BEING APPROVED. I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO FLIP!!!!!! ANYWAY, ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT WAS THE SURGERY. FELT LIKE NOTHING ELSE MATTERED AND LIFE STOOD STILL...BUT AFTERWARDS YOU GET BACK TO LIVING! I PROMISE!

So glad u all feel this too. I have about 6 weeks to surgery and can think of nothing else!!!!! Feels like it will never get here....

I keep feeling the same way. My family is not supportive and it doesnt help. I feel like I can do this on my own....But in my heart I know there is a big possibility for relapse. Do I back out for fear of " what if " or do I keep going ?