Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HAD TO SHARE! protein milkshake is the best for those who just can't on the shakes

@@toler48, I love Fairlife! Extra Protein and (I think) lactose free. Kind of expensive, though, but I use milk so seldom that I'm buying it.

I good addition or substitute for a Protein shake would be Dr. Weiner's SET POINT smoothie. The more of these you drink, the more weight you lose and the healthier you become. The main ingredients are baby spinach, kale, dandelion greens, and apple or pineapple. You can use frozen fruit and a spice like ginger root can be added to suppress the appetite.

The focus with these smoothies is eating whole, unprocessed foods rather than fake Protein shakes. Personally, I do both. There will come a day when I stop my Protein Shake, but it is my daily Breakfast for now.

SET POINT SMOOTHIE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MxZYAwzPuk (leafy greens, fruit, spice)

A BETTER Protein Shake (20-30 Protein grams) http://drmatthewweiner.com/a-better-protein-shake/

******this shake in particular would be a good substitute for your ice cream shake. Since it doesn't use Protein powder at all, you don't have to worry about that nasty powder aftertaste. It uses low fat or greek yogurt, natural Peanut Butter (PB2), and a banana. The result is a healthy shake with 20-30 grams of protein. Watch the video above for more info.

Homemade Set Point smoothies are a better option to drive weight loss than commercially available smoothies. By introducing real whole foods you can increase your phytonutrient intake which helps improve your overall health and drive and maintain weight loss. This video provides tips and tricks to making a better tasting and more nutrient dense smoothie without spending a ton of time in the kitchen.

Dr. Matthew Weiner is an author and bariatric surgeon who offers both surgical and nonsurgical weight loss solutions. Through his surgical practice, Dr. Weiner made a groundbreaking, nonsurgical, dietary discovery. In his book, A Pound of Cure, he shares his style of eating which mimics the changes that occur directly after undergoing bariatric surgery.

For more information call his office at 248-413-2670.
Or, log onto www.drmatthewweiner.com
Or, www.facebook.com/APoundofCure

DR. WEINER'S SET POINT SMOOTHIE

*lots of kale

*1 inch of ginger root

*3-4 pineapple spears

*5-6 ice cubes

*2-3 oz Water

Blend in a blender, not a juicer

DR. WEINER'S "BETTER PROTEIN SHAKE"

*1 cup low fat plain yogurt (greek yogurt can be used)

*1 banana

*4 tablespoons of PB 2 or natural peanut butter

20-30 grams per 12 oz serving

Edited by WL WARRIOR

I know and have read a few people such as myself becoming sick of the Protein shakes, so I decided to try and make a Protein milkshake and OMG it was the best! I highly recommend it, tastes like a McDonald's milkshake with less calories and hardly any carbs. I will say I am 3wks post op and it's tolerated very well.

For the ingredients I used 3/4 cup bryers sugar free vanilla ice cream, 1 cup low carb fairlife protein milk and 2 scoops of publix organic vanilla whey Protein Powder. YUMMY 50g of protein total and you can't even taste it!

Well it had me so excited I had to share haha!

Thanks for sharing! I know it sucks to try and get the Protein Shakes in so this is an alternative. I am still on full liquids so I could spread this over the whole day... I am barely making 400 calories a day. Will definitely try it.

Love my Protein shakes... With 1/2 frozen banana and a bit of ice, fair life milk, yogurt and protein powder

Yum. We ALL have our ways...

I've cream does not seem to fit in any equation IMHO

Dare I say it, I eat ice cream!

Why? Because I plan it out and it is not a trigger food for me.

The one thing I have learned is that when it comes to weight loss surgery there are very few hard and fast rules.

Thank you @@readyforthislifechange for sharing something you found helpful. I am sure that everyone who read the ingredients and the numbers can figure out if this is something that would work for them or perhaps modify, like halving the amount of ice cream and using fat free Fairlife, for example.

Thank you to all of those who displayed appropriate behavior. And to @@readyforthislifechange, please don't stop sharing. There are plenty of people who have manners that would like to read what you have to say.

@@readyforthislifechange

Fair enough. I do understand where you're coming from. But like Ann said, speaking out because maybe, just maybe, ice cream in your protien shake doesn't seem like the best idea?

When people say "I've got my own journey, you've got yours" it always seems to say to me " I don't care what the rules are. I'm going to still do what I want".

The general rules of WLS may vary a bit from surgeon to surgeon, but overall they are the same. And nowhere did I see putting any kind of ice cream in your Protein shake at 3 weeks out was one of them.

*Shrugs*

I wish you nothing but success. Honestly.

Thank you! I guess maybe my approach to this was wrong and I should have said. An occasional low carb milkshake. I mean it's not actual ice cream. To me it's the same as substituting low carb tortillas as a possible pizza base. ( which I am not doing at this stage). I am not encouraging others to drink this everyday. If you really look at it and write down the calories this is a good substitution. To me ice cream was also not a trigger food, it's something I rarely every eat or have cravings for. So I really am just sharing a personal experience and it worked for me. I am not drinking this everyday but I have made it as an afternoon Meal Replacement twice now to take to the pool in 95° weather, to lounge around. I am following my diet super strictly and am not allowed many other things I see other people eating this soon and to be honest feel absolutely amazing. I have lost 30 lbs in now almost 4 weeks and dropped a dress size and feel like I'm a new person already. We really all have our own journey.

I am not looking to get scrutinized over this or tell anyone to make this everyday.

Dare I say it, I eat ice cream!

Why? Because I plan it out and it is not a trigger food for me.

The one thing I have learned is that when it comes to weight loss surgery there are very few hard and fast rules.

Thank you @@readyforthislifechange for sharing something you found helpful. I am sure that everyone who read the ingredients and the numbers can figure out if this is something that would work for them or perhaps modify, like halving the amount of ice cream and using fat free Fairlife, for example.

Thank you to all of those who displayed appropriate behavior. And to @@readyforthislifechange, please don't stop sharing. There are plenty of people who have manners that would like to read what you have to say.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I was kind of bummed by the extent negative was portrayed. I understand this is not for everyone but I didn't think I woukd scrutinized. I have been on this forum for months before I had my surgery and never came across a thread where people were so mean in sharing their opposite views. I don't get it. I didn't mean any harm at all. It did kinda hurt since this group of people are the only ones I know I can actually relate to. But oh well I guess that's life. I definitely appreciate postive comments such as yours. Does make me feel alot better.

Readyforthislifechange,

Thanks for the recipe idea!

It sounds delicious, and a nice alternative to Protein shakes. Aside from the nutritionals, I just a quick warning for some people who may have sensitive stomachs. Sugar alcohols, like the ones they use in no sugar-added ice cream, can give you pretty bad diarrhea! It’s different for everyone. Some people are sensitive, and some can handle a bigger amount without problems. I’d definitely suggest trying only a tiny amount first, especially if you’re still on your post-op liquid or pureed diet and you may already be having stomach troubles.

I made a GREAT smoothie today!

1/2 cup Fairlife 2% (7 gm Protein, 3 carbs, 60 cal)

1/2 cup fresh berries (mostly blueberries, with a few strawberries and raspberries (1 gm Protein, 10 carbs, 40 calories)

1/2 packet of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury strawberry Sorbet (10 gm protein, 2 carbs, 50 cal)

Ice

Blended it well, and it was frothy, slightly thick, fresh tasting, no aftertaste, and delicious. Took about 35 minutes to drink it.

Totals: 18 grams protein, 15 grams carbs, 150 calories. You could make it lower cal. with 1% or skim milk, but I buy the 2% for my coffee.

There isn't a whole lot to be added to this thread, except for this.......

For the first 6 months to a year, you are not driving the bus! You can eat all sorts of crap (in smaller quantities), and you'll still lose weight. The surgery you had is doing all the work for you. However, at some point during those last few months of the first year post-op, the surgery stops doing the work for you. At that point, if you haven't made the necessary changes in your diet and your lifestyle, you will not only stop losing, but you will likely begin to gain your weight back. This fact was explained to me before and also after my surgery.

It happens all the time. None of us would be in the situation of needing surgery to lose large amounts of weight if we hadn't made bad choices in either (and sometimes both) the quantity or the quality of the food we have eaten over the years. We have to be careful to not assume the surgery will fix everything for us. While the motivation is high and the hunger is most controlled is the best time to make the diet/behavior changes. And I just can't see how eating ice cream (even sugar free) is a good choice in the first months after surgery.

Personally, I haven't had one sweet thing or one starchy carb since my surgery three months ago. And I don't plan to start until my surgeon tells me it's OK.....which will not be until I've reached at least 75% of my weight loss goal. I've proven to not be the best at making decisions for attaining a healthy weight. Now I've had body changing surgery, and I plan to follow the plan to a T.

Again, and it's been said a few times in this thread, to each his/her own. But don't be upset when proven veterans on this forum offer their guidance and experience. They know what they are talking about. I'm very grateful for being able to read the tough love on this forum, especially when it comes from people who have been there and done that. I can only hope I have as much success as some of you!

@@TakeitorSleeveit

Bravo, couldn't have said it better!

Again, and it's been said a few times in this thread, to each his/her own. But don't be upset when proven veterans on this forum offer their guidance and experience. They know what they are talking about. I'm very grateful for being able to read the tough love on this forum, especially when it comes from people who have been there and done that. I can only hope I have as much success as some of you!

Guidance is one thing ridicule another. Far too much ridicule and grandstanding in this thread for my taste.

As for the OP's suggestion it sounds reasonable in moderation. My surgeon said one thing to me that will stick with me until the day I die:

"Don't drink your calories". That's the only real risk I see in an approach like this is if the drink is high calorie and doesn't fill you up.