Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inpatient or Outpatient

I just got off the phone with my Patient advocate and she told me that they are doing my procedure as an outpatient procedure, She also said I will be going home under 24 hours after the surgery? Is this normal has anyone else had the procedure done outpatient? Feedback please. I thought that I would need to be inpatient at least 2 days to recoup and make sure that I am well enough to handle the adjustment?????

Thanks in advance guys

Mine was also considered outpatient. I was told the 24 hour clock started after the surgery so I spent one night in the hospital. I didn't have any complications so was glad to be able to go home the next day. I was able to rest much better at home.

If I had had any complications and needed extra time they would have admitted me.

I think a lot of this terminology just has to do with insurance billing and coding.

I had surgery at 7:30 am and was home at 1:26pm same day. I did great and never looked back.

Do your prep before surgery so nothing needs to be done at home and you are not tempted to overdo it. Rest and recuperate but get up and move around as much as you can.

You will do great!!

I had mine done as a outpatient. I checked in at 7am and home by 4pm the same day. I had picked up all my prescriptions before hand and had everything I needed at home. I had a follow up visit the next day. I was a little dehydrated, so they gave me 2 liters of fluids in the office. I had no issues after that.

That's impressive, people. I was a total car wreck in my first 24 hours and nauseous beyond description. I could never have gone home the first day. Mine was also listed as inpatient, so that didn't come as a disappointment to me. It was a world of difference the next day.

I too only spent1 night in the hospital. I could never have gone home the same day. I probably should not have gone home the next day either. I was not able to drink at all and was miserable. I didn't fight it though because I just wanted to go home and get into my own bed and be miserable. Make sure you have plenty of sugar free Popsicles and ice for ice chips. If it weren't for those I would definitely have ended up back in the hospital for dehydration.

Wow I was three days in the hospital and they really wanted to keep me one extra!!! Was sleeved on 8/17/15 I was dry heaving for 2 days couldn't imagine going home that same day. But I'm sure mine was triple the cost!! Good luck take it easy rest and walk drinking 1 ounce every 15 min set and alarm if need be.

All I know is that I'm going to be 1 night in the hospital as in like 24 hrs from surgery time. I honestly would prefer to stay 3 days to just be monitored, but I guess it's cheaper this way.

All I know is that I'm going to be 1 night in the hospital as in like 24 hrs from surgery time. I honestly would prefer to stay 3 days to just be monitored, but I guess it's cheaper this way.

Like with any surgery, the pre-op registration is just the initial plan. Ultimately, your doctor will determine how long you stay and whether you can go home when planned or if you will need more time. Everyone is different and will have different needs so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Why would any responsible surgeon let a patient leave hospital without allowing adequate time to check for leaking? I am less than 1 week past sleeve surgery and I have to say that the most success you will have from this surgery depends on the experience of the surgeon and do yourself a favor and research your research. Just because a surgeon does this type of surgery doesn't mean he is an expert. We all just get so excited for something that we have longed for, for a long time but your approval for surgery is not based on the surgeon so choose wisely, your quality of life could depend on it.

My sleeve and hernia repair were done as out patient. I checked in at 6:30 am and I was home by 3pm. I was blessed with no nausea and my pain was minimal because of a numbing medication that was injected around all the incision sites, which lasted for about 4 days. I was able to sleep without interruption and monitored temperature, hubby kept my med schedule and all was great. No complaints at all.

I stayed overnight and wished they'd had let me leave the evening before. I had a roommate from hell and got no sleep. The nurses totally ignored me even the few times I rang the bell because of the drama queen in the next bed. I had to get up to pee by myself, unhook the machines and drag the IV pole to the bathroom (if it was even available because roomie peed every 45 minutes). I got a lot of walking in just to find help for my constant screaming roomie. I'd much rather be at home than the hospital!

Why would any responsible surgeon let a patient leave hospital without allowing adequate time to check for leaking? I am less than 1 week past sleeve surgery and I have to say that the most success you will have from this surgery depends on the experience of the surgeon and do yourself a favor and research your research. Just because a surgeon does this type of surgery doesn't mean he is an expert. We all just get so excited for something that we have longed for, for a long time but your approval for surgery is not based on the surgeon so choose wisely, your quality of life could depend on it.

I stayed overnight, but no leak test was done.

My surgeon did a leak test in the operating room! That's while I was asleep. He's with a bariatric center of excellence and I researched beforehand about the surgery and thought that's how it is done now.

My surgeon did the leak test during surgery as well. He said this way if there was a leak he would not have to put me through a second surgery to repair it.