Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready to give up on trying to lose weight

I am three months into a 6 month medically supervised diet as required by my insurance. At my last weigh in I had actually gained 1lb. For the last 3 weeks I have tried really hard to eat only Protein shakes for Breakfast and lunch, have a health dinner, and only fruits or veggies as Snacks. I'm drinking Water and trying to work out, but I've injured my knee recently. I'm really frustrated that I have drastically reduced my calorie intake by drinking the gross shakes in place of food I'd rather be eating, and in 3 weeks I have lost NOTHING. I guess if I could lose weight like everyone else I wouldn't be planning on this surgery but does anyone have any advice for me? My surgeon and my insurance don't require me to lose any weight before surgery. I'm now torn between "living it up" for the next 4 months before surgery or should I continue to buckle down, suck it up and "break up" with bad food?

The pre-op diet was the toughest part of WLS for me.

I had to live on low carb shakes and lean Protein - chicken breast and pork loin.

The head hunger was killing me.

I wish I could give you my "knowing" of what it's like on the other side of WLS.

If you had it, you'd be looking forward to everyday of your pre-op diet.

WLS is THAT life changing.

WLS was worth every pain, hassle and sacrifice I had to make.

But I did create a video with some pre-op diet tips. I hope they help ease your "adventure" in WLS. :-)

Get my free eBook - The Top 10 WLS Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

Keep positive! I struggled with the same thing and considering "living it up". What I tried to focus on is the thought of living it up and letting food win defeats the goal we all have in mind. It's about making healthy choices. I have struggled and fluctuated and stalled. It's definitely not easy! Just today I finally got over a stall I've been fighting with for the past 3 weeks!!!! So hang in there!!!! I just completed my 6 month program and see my surgeon Friday. :) The next new months will fly by. You can do it!!!!!!!!!

Don't give in to temptation. The food you ate before and the habits you had got you here. You can do this! You can do exercises with an injured ankle. Google chair exercises. Lift light weights while sitting. Keep your eyes on the prize and focus on what you CAN do and not what you can't. Good luck!!

Definitely understand your frustration and I felt the same way. Try to find a balance. Don't throw in the towel completely because you'll gain and that's more pounds you'll have to lose post op. But don't beat yourself up either.

I've never been a fan of drinking my calories so when I want to drop weight (even post op), I go to full lean Protein. chicken breast for all three meals. Keeps calories low but actually gives you a satisfied feeling. If you can stick to something like this most of the time, then when you want to have some of those food funerals, you won't end up 20lbs heavier on surgery day.

It sounds like you are at a place most of us experienced with conventional dieting. I am very familiar with where you are. It's one of the reasons I chose WLS. It is frustrating.

Since you aren't required to lose weight I wouldn't stress about it too much. This isn't all or nothing. You could still follow the diet you are on with some planned treats or splurges.

My surgeon just wanted me to go into the surgery as healthy as possible. What are your surgeon's expectations and requirements?

If your surgeon requires a two-week pre-op diet them that would be the time to buckle down and not deviate from your program.

What worked for me pre-op was to focus on small, specific changes that would help me succeed post-op: weaning myself off of caffeine and carbonation, drinking a lot of Water, focusing on Protein, and exercising.

I agree that even if you are injured you can find something to do that will get you moving.

Best of luck and don't let discouragement derail you.

My goodness, thank you everyone for the nice responses. I chose the Protein shakes (premier) as a way to "shock" myself into reality as I have no willpower at all. I wanted something that could help me not have to make choices, just stick with the decision I've already made and that's that. Maybe I'll try something like chicken and broccoli for most meals, something that doesn't leave me feeling so deprived and down. I think the shakes make me fall of the wagon harder when I do fall. Thanks again everyone!

I am going through the exact same thing! I am about to have my last visit with the nut next week and I have actually gained a pound or two in these 3 months! I have Cigna and I dont think they require me to lose any weight but its still frustrating!