Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I drink more than just water for my 64oz of fluids

No, you can have sugar free juice, I like diet cranberry juice, chrystal light, ice pops, even Jello is considered liquid. According to my program the Protein shakes do not count towards the 64oz, but I see others on here say in their program it does. Right now the doc has me drinking pedialyte as he says I am dehydrated. I hate the taste so I mix it with the cranberry juice, hope that helps.

Nope, it is not true.

Although obviously Water is best, fluids that can count are as follows:

Broth/soups

Popsicles

coffee (not recommended)

Tea (herbal)

Protein drinks/shakes

juice (low/no sugar)

Gatorade

Gelatin

Ice tea

Etc.....

You get the idea. Almost EVERYTHING has Water in it. Even the food we eat. A study has recently come out saying the 8 glasses a day is a bunch of bull. BUT for us who have had WLS, it is VERY imortant to stay hydrated because of our tiny tummies. I would try to get your 64 oz with at least half of that water. That's what I've done for a year. Half water, half the above. I should probably drink more water though :P

No, not to my knowledge. Any Fluid is fluid; you may not want to count anything with caffeine (if you're drinking tea and coffee) as they are diuretics. Also, we're not supposed to drink soda after WLS. But as far as I know, any Fluid qualifies -- it's about hydration.

In fact, I read that the entire "64-oz of fluid a day" thing is all based on a misunderstanding. The original study (from 1945) recommended 64 ounces of fluid a day, then went on to say that much of that will come from foods. But over the years that has been misinterpreted to mean 8 glasses (64 oz) oz of Water a day.

Here's an interesting article on this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html

That said, my doctor told me to drink 64 oz of fluids a day, so I do! But I count broth, milk, v-8, etc. In fact, after my surgery, I no longer like the taste of plain Water, which used to be my favorite drink by far, so I add Crystal Light and Protein powder to it.

I do think it's always best to follow the doctor's orders (unless you're convinced and have good evidence that your doctor is wrong, and then I would seek out a second and third opinion.) Hope this helps with your family!

Edited by Thinside

This is from the mayo Clinic, which many people recognize as one of the leading, if not THE leading, medical institute in the country:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

Note the sentence at the bottom of the page: -- "all fluids count towards the daily total."

Besides, just looking at it logically, why wouldn't fluids other than Water count? Fluids that we drink are made up mostly of water. Milk is over 90% water. Water doesn't become magically not-water and non-hydrating if you stir some Crystal Light in it or steep a tea bag in it. Water doesn't become non-water if you add some flavor and color and freeze it and make it into an ice pop. Things like almond "milk" are just water with some almonds strained through it. Again, it doesn't miraculously change into a non-hydrating substance if you add some Protein Powder to it.

Also, unless your family are MD's or Registered Dieticians with expertise in managing bariatric surgery patients, you should feel free to completely blow off everything they say with respect to your post-op nutrition, exercise, etc. I wouldn't even waste my time arguing with them. Tell them you aren't interested in their unsolicited opinions and just refuse to engage with them when they try to tell you what to do.

I drink 24 oz of crystal lite a day and the rest straight Water. Lots of ways to get water in.

I'm fighting with my family I need some back up here. Please enlighten them on my Fluid intake. They think the only way I can get my 64oz is thur straight Water. Is this true?

It's fluids not Water. When in doubt, call your doctor or nutritionist. Mine said the goal is to not get dehydrated. While you should strive to get at least 50% of your Fluid intake from water, other beverages and even flavor enhancers are allowed.

Plain Water is still the best, maybe with a little zero calorie flavoring if you don't like plain Water.< /p>

All liquids count toward that total. Just be careful of drinking too much caffeinated beverages (not because they are a diuretic but because they can cause irritation to your stomach in large quantities, amongst other things), also be careful of drinks high in sugar (including natural sugars such as juice) so you aren't drinking too many calories.

When I did intake and output for my patients at the hospital, we used all of these as liquids.< /p>

Broth/soups

Popsicles

coffee

Tea

Protein drinks/shakes

juice

Ice tea

milk

Jello

sherbert/icecream

or anything that became liquid when in your mouth.

But of course these are not all good for a person with WLS. :)