Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me it gets better. =(

I'm post op day three and I'm super gassy and having hunger pangs despite getting about 40oz of Water plus broths and Jello. It gets painful sometimes but man I am suffering. I hope it gets better because I don't like feeling this way at all.

I found that sugar free instant Breakfast with added Protein powder and Lactose free milk was very filling at that stage. It helped me get my liquids and Protein at the same time. (I couldn't stand the premixed Protein drinks, but if you can, they are also very filling.) The gas sucks, I know, but it will get better soon! Walking and gasx helped me some.

Walk, Walk, Walk. Trust me it's easier said than done. It's hard to do anything when you feel this miserable.

I had a really rough 8 days. I cried all the time, regretted my decision and thought I was losing my mind because I was in so much misery.

IT WILL GET BETTER!!! I promise!!!

Drinking gets so much easier. If you can't handle the Protein drinks Mixed or not I found the best way for me to get the Protein in was to take the Isopure Zero Carb pre-mixed clears (they can be expensive) I mixed 8oz of that with 8oz of Powerade Zero and 8oz of Water (ice if you can handle the cold). That got me in my liquids and some protein and I started to feel better the next day.

The misery will subside and you will feel great, just keep walking and drinking.

You're an ER nurse. You know best that it takes time to heal. Of course it gets better! Give it time.

I look at the first month after surgery like going through labor. It really sucks as you're going though it, but the end result is worth it and soon you forget all about how horrible it was :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know it does take time to heal, I just don't tolerate pain all that well. I basically live on my own, so I really don't have many I can go to for help, well, except my coworkers, but they're all working. lol. I know it will get better. Tomorrow I start the Protein shakes and the full liquid diet. I am following this to the T so I know I don't fail and get the proper healing that I need so no complications arise.

The difference was like night and day once I got onto soft foods and actually got my digestion going again. That is when my energy came back, too.

Of course it gets much better! I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow. My second day was the worst! Violent headache and awful pain and high blood pressure !! I was miserable. Finally the gas started moving on the third day post op.

Yesterday I came home from being out and chugged a glass of vegetable juice. I " forgot" I had surgery. It came right back up but that is the first time I have vomited

Oh man, the headache is terrible. I definitely can't wait until this passes. I have to keep reminding myself I just had surgery and I can't chug liquids like I used to. Let's hope in the future I don't forget, lol.

It's hard to realize right now but you are going to feel completely normal again. When that happens varies by person. For me it happened in stages but I felt a lot better after the first week and then I didn't feel weak anymore after 3 weeks or so. And then the first few months of real food caused me some emotional discomfort because I couldn't eat the volume and types of food I wanted. But now I don't really feel like I can't eat that much (even though I still can't eat that much at all), I guess it's a matter of what you get used to.