Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Surgery and Post-Surgery clothes shopping *Rant*

I don't know if I am alone in my feelings about this, but....

I am having such mixed feelings about how/where I will shop post-op. I absolutely hate the limited options we, as "plus sized" women have. I hate that I have basically two stores where I can walk in and buy anything I see. Then, I have a couple of other stores where, if I hunt and peck and sacrifice my ego, I might find something that I don't feel ashamed to wear in public.

I'm betting that most of us have this experience where we go into, say for example... Target. We are forced to walk by all the cute and on trend clothes in the front of the store, to go all the way to the back (where we are out of sight of most other costumers, because we shouldn't be seen) to dig through at most, 2 racks of clothing. Most of this "clothing" is wedged between clearance and maternity.

Most of the time, if I am lucky enough to find something I kind of like, it's maternity. Or, even better still it's an item that was accidentally stuck in that section and is a size 2 (because of Target's odd plus-sized sizing structure which also includes 0-3/4.) :mellow:

Part of me is super-excited to be able to buy clothes that I think are cute and not be stuck wearing clothes I don't like because it's all that fits me and all that is available. I mean really ladies, isn't the rule of plus size fashion that it doesn't make it to the hanger unless it happens to be

1. Solid Black
  2. A sleeveless shirt/dress (what the hell??)
  3. Pants are three inches too long (because all plus-sized women are really tall)
  4. Some kind of animal print, and or lace/cutouts
  5. Featuring sequins or rhinestones. Because, "Look at me, I sparkle!" I must need this for my trapeze act later or something? :angry:
  6. A shirt with some god-awful saying on it in french/english accompanied by flowers and such
  7. Made for your grammy or your pregnant friend.
  8. A shirt or dress designed for a plus sized woman (other than yourself) who was blessed with ginormous ta-ta's. (oh why could some of my many pounds not make it up there?)
  9. A pair of pants with a football field's worth of fabric between the butt pockets, which just so happen to be the size of a postage stamp.

So, this is my issue.... Once I am "thin enough" to shop in other stores at will, and buy whatever darn thing in any store I like, will I really want to support these businesses who wouldn't have me as a customer when I was fat?

What do the rest of you feel about this?

Boy, did you hit that nail on the head!!! I totally understand and can relate, and now that I am shopping in the "regular" sizes, I, too felt the same way...why support it? But what choices do I really have? If I were talented, I would create my own line of clothing for ALL sizes, but alas, I am not meant to do that particular career! I'm hoping someone will pick up the ball, and make enormous amounts of money by taking on this challenge, for who of us WOULDN'T buy great, cute clothes???? It seems some get started, then you never hear of them again.

In the meantime, for interim clothing, I chose (as I am now close to goal) stretchy slacks that could accommodate my fast-changing sizes, loose, flowy tops that would grace my figure, but hide the inevitable, ever position-changing rolls, all the while slowly accumulating AWESOMELY cute shoes for the AWESOMELY cute wardrobe I was bound and determined to have.....and NOW DO!!!!

The FUN is coming.....truly!!!!

I live in Seattle. Land of the very tiny ladies. Lol!

Thank you for understanding. I actually forgot about Melissa McCarthy's new line of clothing. I do believe that it's supposed to feature sizes 4-28 which is awesome! Kudos to her for taking that on, and from what I've seen, doing a fantastic job.

P.S. Where in Washington are you? I am in the Spokane area.

There are also:

- the hippie shirt/ dress - are plus size women stuck in the '60 with their fashion choices?

- the elephant cape - in case you are feeling good about yourself, this should remind you the society expects you to hide from the normal eye.

I'm not thin (yet), and I mostly buy my clothes in second-hand clothes or on the Internet. Partly because I hate trying things on knowing they won't fit, partly because of the environmental issues I get bored easily with my clothing options, so I hate spending too much money on something I would only wear 3 months.

But I get your point... Maybe we should just file a formal complaint in every store we go in. :)

I understand and have had such a struggle with my clothes and my ever changing weight. I was always a fan of JCPenney..and found most items that were downstairs in the thin sizes were also upstairs in plus! So I could say I would be comfortable shopping there post op. In all honesty I will be spending the majority of my time in goodwill and salvation army until I am at a more stable weight post op! :) yay for the dollar rack!

I understand your rant completely! I am just now starting to fit in to "regular" sizes at most stores, and it's really exciting to go in places and try things on and have them fit. But I haven't purchased anything yet, mostly because I'm doing all my shopping at thrift stores/consignment shops these days, but there's another part of me that doesn't want to give them my business. I definitely have had the "if you were too good for me before, why would I give you money now?" thought going through my head on a few occasions.

That being said, I know I won't be able to hold my grudge for long. Once I get near goal and start building my wardrobe, I won't be able to resist marching into those stores that I was never able to before.

P.S. Where in Washington are you? I am in the Spokane area.

*Waves from Clarkston*

@@Reckless Moxie

I have several rants under my breath while shopping at Target--especially bc they weave together the maternity with plus size!

I feel like what I'm really looking forward to in regards to clothes shopping isn't just an increase in selection, but also lowering the cost of my clothes. I feel that often times I'll look at someone wearing really basic, non-plus sized work clothing and I resent the fact that--no matter their taste--they can go and find basic, inexpensive clothing without trouble. I pay A LOT for clothes I don't especially like, that don't hold up!

While I don't disagree with the rant, I have to admit I get a particular thrill out of knowing I can shop in stores that do not carry large sizes. I feel like I have been granted access to an exclusive club, and even though I feel bad for people who can't join, I am still going to! My entire life, I wanted to be able to shop in places like that and feel entitled to so. Now that I can, I love it.

While I can't wait to be able to wear super cute clothes from the "regular" stores, I've actually been able to find awesome clothes from Torrid and Fashion2Figure. If you don't have those stores, look online. I've gotten tons of compliments on my clothing choices. While they can be expensive full-price, both stores constantly run sales and send out coupons. I'm sitting at about a size 16 now, so I'm thinking just a few more months (fingers crossed) before I cross over. Good luck to you all!

Newsflash, thin people have problems shopping also. Sizes very not just from store to store, but brand to brand and even product to product.

If you hate shopping you are going to continue to hate shopping.

I hate shopping not as a fat person but as a short person I've never had an issue finding clothes I like for my fatness just my height why do they assume all fat people are tall. Although shout out to target they have a pants size called short fits perfectly but no pockets lol