Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tight 12 days after fill - Chance it will go down?

I had my 3rd fill 12 days ago. My restriction seems to be getting tighter and tighter as days go by. I feel like I have been babying it by staying on mushies as best I can, but I do try solids from time to time. I've had many slime attacks and a couple of PB's. </p> <p> </p> <p>Is it too early to consider an unfill? Is there a chance it will loosen up on its own SOON?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

12 days seems like a long time. I would think that if your fill were to loosen up it would have been closer to 7 days. I would go in for a slight unfill.

if you have slimed and pb'd you may have caused your stomach to get a little inflamed or swollen which would lead to it being too tight. that happened to me. i would either go to liquids for a day or two to see if it settles down and then slowly introduce solids or i would get an unfill to see if that helps. tough call but i've learned that this thing is very sensitive and if it gets aggravated it will let you know. if you are sliming or pb'ing then you are putting food down there that can't make it.... good luck!

Thanks for the help. I think you're absolutely right. I've really been babying it since Sunday and it seems to be settling down. I'll give it another few days. Can't go in for an unfill 'til next week anyway.

I do appreciate the input!

Hi everyone, I went for my 2nd fill on June21, 07, well he had such a hard time finding my port that I must have had 30 needle pricks. Anyway, he finally found it and I had a fill of about 1.6 ccs. He had me drinking Water while trying to figure out how much of a fill I needed. I think I floated out of the Doc's office. Anyway, It has been about 3 weeks and well there are times when I can eat some solid food, but mostly soft foods. Today, I thought I could eat roasted chicken. (leg). I ate some of it along with some skin... Big mistake, I was in such pain that I was hunched over. I figure it was probably the skin. I waited awhile and then attempted to eat some Soup with chicken in it. That caused the golf ball feeling, so I stopped eating. There are days that I can eat ground turkey, chicken and pork, but it doesn't seem all that often, maybe at dinner time. Lunches are tough. I worry that I will be putting in nothing but empty calories with the Soup. It goes down easy and so do fruit smoothies. The thing is that it seems that I have had more incidences of slime and pbing. Are they the same thing? The doc I had doing the 2nd fill was very patient with me and I could have stopped anytime, while he was looking for my port. The thing

is that I travel and my Band dr. is in San Antonio, TX. I am in California for the summer and fall so I went to a place called Fill Centers USA. They are all over the country. The doc in CA said it was normal to slime and pb. Well I hate it, it is depressing when it happens and embarrassing. GROSS!!

I was banded on Mar. 27, 07 and have lost 60 pounds. It is coming off, but there are times when I get disgusted, because I can't eat. I thought that by now I would be able to eat grilled chicken or salad. No way...

Does anyone else have this problem? Can you eventually eat salad? How do you treat slime once it has started happening?

Thanks for listening,

Gina

Hi everyone, I went for my 2nd fill on June21, 07, well he had such a hard time finding my port that I must have had 30 needle pricks. Anyway, he finally found it and I had a fill of about 1.6 ccs. He had me drinking Water while trying to figure out how much of a fill I needed. I think I floated out of the Doc's office. Anyway, It has been about 3 weeks and well there are times when I can eat some solid food, but mostly soft foods. Today, I thought I could eat roasted chicken. (leg). I ate some of it along with some skin... Big mistake, I was in such pain that I was hunched over. I figure it was probably the skin. I waited awhile and then attempted to eat some Soup with chicken in it. That caused the golf ball feeling, so I stopped eating. This sounds a lot like what I was doing...like everything I put in my mouth was giving me trouble! I'm not much more experienced than you, but I have just recently gone thru all that and seem to have improved, so I'll tell you what I did. I stayed on soft foods....more like full liquids....for about 2.5 days. Nothing heavier than baby-food consistency. When I started going back to solids I took it REAL slow....meaning I didn't take any chances with known problems foods like eggs, Pasta, bread, chicken, etc. I ate FISH mostly and I took teeny-tiny bites...like the size of a peanut. I supplemented with a Protein shake and drank lots of Water.< /span>

There are days that I can eat ground turkey, chicken and pork, but it doesn't seem all that often, maybe at dinner time. Lunches are tough. I worry that I will be putting in nothing but empty calories with the soup. It goes down easy and so do fruit smoothies. Stick with soup, smoothies and Protein drinks only for a couple of days. Everytime you introduce a solid, the healing process seems to start all over again if you do it too early.

The thing is that it seems that I have had more incidences of slime and pbing. Are they the same thing? Oh, I was too!! Like twice a day or more sometimes! I was mostly 'sliming' with only a little food coming up. I think of a PB as when the whole pouch empties and you are hunched over the toilet until it does! Sliming is just when you get a BUNCH of 'saliva' coming up from your pouch. I have learned that it is best not to try to swallow it again...to keep spitting it out. Depending on where I was I'd go to the sink or toilet...or into a napkin. Oy vay!

The doc I had doing the 2nd fill was very patient with me and I could have stopped anytime, while he was looking for my port. The thing

is that I travel and my Band dr. is in San Antonio, TX. I am in California for the summer and fall so I went to a place called Fill Centers USA. They are all over the country. The doc in CA said it was normal to slime and pb. Well, it might be 'normal' but it definitely should be avoided!

I was banded on Mar. 27, 07 and have lost 60 pounds. It is coming off, but there are times when I get disgusted, because I can't eat. I thought that by now I would be able to eat grilled chicken or salad. No way...

Does anyone else have this problem? Can you eventually eat salad? How do you treat slime once it has started happening? I haven't had any problems with salad (Thank God) but I never, never eat iceburg lettuce. I have given up on white chicken and not too happy about that. You've lost an awful lot of weight in a short time and you are having a lot of problems related to restriction. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to get a slight unfill. Your life will be so much easier. Why did you go in for a fill in the first place?

Thanks for listening,

Gina

Hope you are able to get this straightened out and are feeling better soon.

Just had my fill yesterday, and boy I wish I had read this before I tried to eat a small piece of cucumber. I had Clear Liquids and had some issues with that alone. I know I amvery tight but I really had no restriction for the last 3 weeks. I was in referral hell until my insurance finally approved my fill. Thanks for the information this will make things easier for me. I find it funny that the doctor says just try things little by little and see what happens. So far no pb' ing thank goodness but I though I was going to die in order to pass that small piece of cucumber. I won't do that again. Thanks for all the information all above have provided.

I am 5 days past my third fill and this time my doc decided to put more than usual in as I have quite a distance to travel and my weight had not moved since surgery [i did lose 10 lbs on the liquid pre-op diet]

I could hardly swallow liquids over the weekend and have stayed on Protein Shakes, smoothies, Soups, for the past 5 days. Lost 5 lbs so thrilled to bits about that but struggling to even eat mushies. Cottage cheese - OK, had a little mushed tuna OK. But tried some scrambled egg at lunch today - I thought it was going to kill me. First time I have experienced the golf ball feeling and also standing over the sink as i thought I was going to be sick. Will it slacken off a little itself or will I have to go for an unfil? Really don't want to do the latter as this is the first sign of my weight moving since the op in March. I have liquid vitamins every morning and am drinking plenty of liquids and milky coffee and shakes etc., as mentioned above - how long can you safely stay on shakes and liquids??

Yeah, all of a sudden I had trouble with eggs too. So guess what? I stopped eating them! Try a spring mix salad, soft cooked veggies, bananas, Peanut Butter, and melons. See how you do with those. I'm finally starting to feel better but it's taken a while! I had fill #3 on June 26 and can eat better now.

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Yes someone else has told me eggs are difficult although they are listed on the list of mushy foods my doctor gave me. Thought they would be easy as they are soft but obviously not.

I can now eat yoghurts and last night I nibbled like a mouse on a little piece of cheese and some chicken roll. Tiny, tiny bites and chewed and chewed - anyway they went down no problem so will just have to be very careful and stay away from the eggs. I also had a few strawberries. Cottage cheese is OK too.

Thanks again.

Hi, I was banded 5/14/07. I have lost about 30 lbs. so far, but I now can eat anything and too much of it! So I am going in for my first fill Monday (7/16) and I'm a little scared about what it will be like afterwards. How do you know if you are over-filled?

Thanks, Lisa

Depends on how your Dr fills. Mine started with only small fills for the first two [i think he put in 1.2 for the first and then his nurse put 0.5 for my second] and I didn't get any restriction at all. So with my third he decided to go right up to 4 and WOW do I know it. The first night and next couple of days I thought I would have to go for a defil as I could hardly swallow anything at all but took it really really careful for the first few days and only had tiny tiny sips of liquids. Today is day 7 and I can manage a couple of spoonfuls of food - can't eat eggs - they just stick no matter in what form - but had a little chicken roll last night along with a tiny piece of cheese which I nibbled like a mouse, today had a few Beans and I can manage cottage cheese. Still staying pretty much on the liquids, smoothies, Protein shakes and Soups but I'm happy to stay with this for a while.

I was like you and kept thinking 'how will I know if my fill is too much or not enough' etc., etc., but you do know believe me.

I had my second fill 5 days ago. Added 2cc for a total of 7. Dr asked me to make another appt in 2 weeks but I may cancel as time nears. Never knew what PBing and slime was but I sure do now. Going back to liquid/soft until things settle down.

It is now my 8th day since my third and quite drastic fill.

Still struggling - I am mainly sticking to liquids but keep trying a little food to see how things are progressing.

Yesterday was a strange day - hubby had Beans on toast for his lunch with eggs. Thought I would try a little myself. Couldn't eat the toast or eggs but had a few of the Beans. Last night we were out and stopped for a coffee - had half a really small wrap with chicken, salad filling - took me about an hour to eat it but managed it. But very late last night I had the tiniest piece of rice cake with cottage cheese on it. It stuck and it took an hour or more of pain, feeling sick, sliming - it wouldn't come up and it wouldn't go down.

Had the same experience again today with some cooked soft vegetables and rice. Tried again a little later and managed to eat as long as I took it so slowly that it took me an hour to eat about a cupful.

Think I am going to definitely stick to shakes, Soups, liquids etc. I'm afraid at the moment food is too painful. Hope it does slacken off slightly in time. But I guess it is doing its job as I am not overeating!!!

It is now my 8th day since my third and quite drastic fill.

Still struggling - I am mainly sticking to liquids but keep trying a little food to see how things are progressing.

Yesterday was a strange day - hubby had Beans on toast for his lunch with eggs. Thought I would try a little myself. Couldn't eat the toast or eggs but had a few of the Beans. Last night we were out and stopped for a coffee - had half a really small wrap with chicken, salad filling - took me about an hour to eat it but managed it. But very late last night I had the tiniest piece of rice cake with cottage cheese on it. It stuck and it took an hour or more of pain, feeling sick, sliming - it wouldn't come up and it wouldn't go down.

Had the same experience again today with some cooked soft vegetables and rice. Tried again a little later and managed to eat as long as I took it so slowly that it took me an hour to eat about a cupful.

Think I am going to definitely stick to shakes, Soups, liquids etc. I'm afraid at the moment food is too painful. Hope it does slacken off slightly in time. But I guess it is doing its job as I am not overeating!!!

I'm sorry....haven't you heard?? Rice is one of the top 3 no-no's!! I haven't even let it touch my lips because I've heard it so many times....it is one of the impossible foods!! Right up there with bread, Pasta, dry meats and eggs.