Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week pre-op anxiety, wondering if I should cancel!

I I have 65lbs to lose, which are stubbornly sitting on my body. I eat small meals and I still don't lose weight. I am 50 years old, a menopausal woman, and I am just tired alot. I've been on a near constant diet for my entire life. 65lbs overweight is a relative success for me- that I'm not bigger. So I scheduled this surgery. I got approved- with a sleep apnea co-morbid...And now I am thinking about chickening out- I am sick with worry. Does everyone live with complications? Would you do it again this surgery- if you had less than 100lbs to lose? Really would you? I know that if I go to WW regularly, I may lose some weight- but I am not particularly confident that my habits will change on my own. I tend to starve myself- eat less than I should- and that terrific habit has helped my metabolism to be way out of whack. I want this surgery because it will be a healthy check to do the right thing- that I can't seem to accomplish on my own. But such worry.

GERD. What if I get it. What if it can't be controlled and they have to convert me to gastric bypass when I'm not that overweight? I am sooooooo soooo over thinking and worried. Please help.

@@Nomorethickchick - I hit 282 earlier this year AFTER backing out late last year. That was IT for me. I have NO regrets. I am 52 menopausal as well. I know GERD is a possibility and so is a revision, but I was looking at diabetes. I have 9 grandbabies and one on the way ~ I have BIG plans.

Your fears are pretty common. You have to be sure of this surgery, if you aren't then cancel. Its only a tool, not a magic wand.

I had buyers remorse for about a day on the 2nd day post-op. I panicked thinking what the heck have I done with 80% of my stomach? I cant get it back, its in the biohazard can now...

Then I remembered why I did the surgery - I needed this tool because I couldn't lose weight on my own.

I feel great. I am 4 months post and only wish I hadn't backed out last December, I would probably be at my realistic goal (165-170) now.

@@Nomorethickchick

Its normal to be nervous about having any surgery. hope you did research on your choice to have weight loss surgery. No complications with mine. You could look up the statistic on these issues on the web.

With your out of wack metabolism and co morbidity's. All can greatly be improved with surgery..On a side note. I am off my cpap, Off medications and my type one diabetes is well controlled.

Have you checked what your BMI is? you have 65 pounds to take off and you are not that over weight? How successful have you been to drop 65 pounds on your own and keep it off?

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

Absolutely no regret: I get to prolong my life.

Hi, I went through the same feelings, almost backed out the last two weeks before, but I wanted to actually finish something I started. I had been yo yo dieting all my life, losing 50 pounds only to gain it back and then some and do it all over again. I had clothes in my closet from size 7 to 20. I'm not going to tell you it is easy because it's not. Everyone goes through this different then anyone else, your journey will be your own to embrace. I myself had some bad experiences since my surgery in January but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I feel better, I'm actually full for the first time of my life. I have loads of energy. Don't give up so close you'll only regret it and possibly gain more weight. Word of advice, take lots of pictures, that's one of my regrets, I didn't take any in the beginning and come on this website everyday. Even if you don't reply to anyone, just seeing what everyone is doing and going through helps alot. Good Luck, take care

@@Nomorethickchick I totally agree with @@bbsbk221 - take lots of pictures and try on clothes as the weight drops. That is the best self motivating thing for me. The scale is wicked.

lets us know what you decide...

I was scared too! My surgery was 9-3. I just told myself that my HBP, High Cholesterol, and almost certain chance of becoming diabetic, would eventually kill me. Not to mention I've already had surgery on both knees and my Dr. told me next was a total knee replacement. I'm 5 days out now and everyday I feel better. Drinking more, moving easier, and adjusting to my new normal. I hop this helps.

@@bbsbk221, what kind of complications are you talking about you have/had?

I am a 35 bmi and I have a comorbidity of sleep apnea. I am pre-diabetic- not diabetic yet. I worry that I am in that nether region of between not fat enough to get surgery (but I do qualify so I am fat enough but you know what I'm getting at) but too fat to take it off without help.

Realize this is only a tool; it does not "cure" anything and it is an extreme step to take.

You asked, "Would you really do this if you had less than 100 lb to lose? Really?"

I hope you have carefully researched the impact of this profound lifestyle change on OLDER women. I am 60 with congenital heart failure and did this to save my life. I can honestly say I would NEVER had undergone the surgery just to lose 65 lbs, even if I was only 30. It is a far too drastic measure to take for that reason.

Older women must especially consider osteoarthritis, hair loss, tooth loss, and other possible side effects of nutritional deficits that may result from surgery, even with artificial supplementation. Combine these with just the natural impact of menopause on a woman's body,

Check into TRULY low carb-high Protein diets. Stick to one. This is what you will have to do after surgery ANYWAY Make sure you are exercising every day, regularly. This is what you will have to do after surgery ANYWAY. People cheat all of the time and re-gain weight after surgery; there are MANY ways to cheat 'around' the pouch. It is a TOOL in a DISCIPLINE.

If you are willing to risk serious abdominal surgery to have 7/8 of your stomach removed, take substantial supplements in order to attempt to limit yourself to eat low carb/high Protein the rest of your life then go ahead and have the surgery.

I'd be willing to bet you could loose 65 lbs without surgically removing 7/8 of your stomach.

Sorry to be so tough but this is a serious procedure and you are right to be concerned about making this choice for 65 lbs.at 50 years of age.

Edited by maryannotginger

Surgery complications? ditto - I had none.

This is about a lot more than weight loss. This is about curing co-morbidities (or at least improving them), feeling better, and being able to concentrate on things in life other than food 24 hours a day. Honestly, I would do it again even if somebody told me I wasn't going to lose a single pound. I hated my relationship with food prior to surgery, and I always had crippling hunger no matter what I consumed. Those days are over. Incidentally, I have lost a bunch of weight, and just a month after surgery I am more than half way to goal, but I felt healthier and freer as soon as I woke up in the recovery room. I'm not saying that weight loss isn't the main purpose, but for some people, it will become a complete afterthought because of the non-quantifiables associated with getting healthier.

@@maryannotginger I have tried to lose this weight since I was a kid - but the on;y result is that i get heavier and heavier. Not at the same rate as many people who are getting surgery, but for me, it;s alot.

I have done Atkins. I have done HCG, Nutrasystem, Optifast, you name it, I have done it, Diet Center (remember that?).

Why do I have to worry about my bones and my teeth? Is it going to speed me into osteoparosis? I read on a page of a guy who used to be 5'11 when he got the surgery 2 years ago and now he is 5'8! That FREAKED me out. I love my teeth,

I have spent alot on them!

But in terms of - just do it on your own, well that hasnt been successful for anyone pondering the surgery or having it. I mean, the barrier and reminder of a smaller stomach must be helpful. Or maybe it;s being sick that makes you lose weight!

Can I ask another question to you who have had it-----Does your body look the same with weight loss from surgery as it used to before when you lost weight?

@, I hear you. I don't have that crippling hunger, I'm not hungry all the time- or, if I am, I ignore it. I eat small meals but my wieght doesn't move. Like this morning, I had one hard boiled egg. And 1/2 cup of fruit. I wasn't craving more, that's basically when I eat, decisions I make. Proteins over carbs most of the time, an Atkins like -ISH choices. Not all the time, but much of the time. But my body is very comfortable at this size and doesn't want to move out of this weight. I dont even KNOW what it is like to be a normal wieght.

@Nomorethickchick I know, chick. Everyone here has failed many times trying to lose weight, especially me.

But this is not what you asked. You asked if we would do it again for 65 pounds at age 50. The answer for me was EMPHATICALLY no!

Of course your body will look different if you lose 65 lbs, just as it will if you gain 65 lbs.

Only you can do the research and decide what is best for you.