Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want RNY but surgeon may do Sleeve if I don't lose enough abdomen weight preop

My surgeon recommends RNY, due to my bmi over 50. However I carry a lot of abdomen weight and if I don't lose enough pre_op he advised if he feels while mid_surgery that's it's safer for sleeve, he will do that instead. And I have to sign off that I trust his judgement call in operating room. I'm scared I won't lose enough and this may be my outcome even tho I feel I'll be more successful with RNY vs. SLeeve. Anyone else have this or have encouragement that someone of bmi over 50 can still expect good weight loss from sleeve?

I'd find another Dr. You're the customer; He should give you what you want. Maybe take more time to lose the extra wt? Try and get another opinion.

I was pressured to have RNY and chose the sleeve. So far I've done well. It's a tool. How you utilize it is up to you.

I started with an extremely high BMI and chose the sleeve. I was sleeved April 20 and am very happy with my results so far. Unless you suffer from GERD, the sleeve is definitely an option.

I didn't have GERD or even occasional heartburn, ever. Well, not since pregnancy many a long year ago. Post op, after I was home and settling in with all the changes it hit like a ball of screaming fire. It's not difficult to control with OTC antacids, nor is it very expensive but it is horrid when I go more than three days without taking a Lansoprazole. Other than GERD, I can't think of a reason why the sleeve was a worse option than any other. Keep in mind that your choices and subsequent behavior will probably effect your outcomes overall much more than the tools you use.

*Take note of my BMI and weight on my tickers. It can be done. :-)

Keep the dialogue going. You'll figure out what is your best option.

Edited by Folly

I didn't have GERD or even occasional heartburn, ever. Well, not since pregnancy many a long year ago. Post op, after I was home and settling in with all the changes it hit like a ball of screaming fire. It's not difficult to control with OTC antacids, nor is it very expensive but it is horrid when I go more than three days without taking a Lansoprazole. Other than GERD, I can't think of a reason why the sleeve was a worse option than any other. Keep in mind that your choices and subsequent behavior will probably effect your outcomes overall much more than the tools you use.

*Take note of my BMI and weight on my tickers. It can be done. :-)

Keep the dialogue going. You'll figure out what is your best option.

Thanks

I started with an extremely high BMI and chose the sleeve. I was sleeved April 20 and am very happy with my results so far. Unless you suffer from GERD, the sleeve is definitely an option.

Thanks

I'd find another Dr. You're the customer; He should give you what you want. Maybe take more time to lose the extra wt? Try and get another opinion.

Thanks, I may just so I feel good about my decision

First off I just want to say that my bmi at the date of surgery was 62.5... so I'm in no way trying to freak you out or tell you what to do but I had the lap RNY and my surgeon was confident, had zero issues, and never said one word about trying to change my mind about what I wanted. If I were in your situation and my surgeon were pressuring me for the reason yours is.. I would find a different surgeon. I had no complications and I'm doing fantastically.

I have a friend who just lost 100 pounds with the sleeve in 8 months time I believe. It's all about saftey. If the doc thinks it's safer I would go with it. Like everyone says, you still have to put in the effort with both. I got the bypass and I work hard for every pound I lose. Some people lose it easily without much effort, I am not one of those people. I am gym 5 days a week kind of person. If you work it, it will work Good luck!

My Bmi was 52 I believe (308 at 5'5"; lifetime recorded high at weight watchers. .. 332.... I believe I may have hit 350 at some point

I lost about half my body weight post sleeve and lost 150 in 14 months to hit goal of 158 in Feb 2013. I am now maintaining 10# over goal which I don't feel bad about- will hit 4 years post sleeve in December .

I feel estatic with my results but I think you should switch surgeons to someone who believes in the surgery you want.

I am a billion percent satisfied with the sleeve but look at new studies. ... there is a reason the gastric bypass is the gold standard. Over the long haul statistically the rny shows better results.

I never seriously researched bypass but I think the key is to understand maintenance.

I have a friend who just lost 100 pounds with the sleeve in 8 months time I believe. It's all about saftey. If the doc thinks it's safer I would go with it. Like everyone says, you still have to put in the effort with both. I got the bypass and I work hard for every pound I lose. Some people lose it easily without much effort, I am not one of those people. I am gym 5 days a week kind of person. If you work it, it will work Good luck!

My Bmi was 52 I believe (308 at 5'5"; lifetime recorded high at weight watchers. .. 332.... I believe I may have hit 350 at some point

I lost about half my body weight post sleeve and lost 150 in 14 months to hit goal of 158 in Feb 2013. I am now maintaining 10# over goal which I don't feel bad about- will hit 4 years post sleeve in December .

I feel estatic with my results but I think you should switch surgeons to someone who believes in the surgery you want.

I am a billion percent satisfied with the sleeve but look at new studies. ... there is a reason the gastric bypass is the gold standard. Over the long haul statistically the rny shows better results.

I never seriously researched bypass but I think the key is to understand maintenance.

First off I just want to say that my bmi at the date of surgery was 62.5... so I'm in no way trying to freak you out or tell you what to do but I had the lap RNY and my surgeon was confident, had zero issues, and never said one word about trying to change my mind about what I wanted. If I were in your situation and my surgeon were pressuring me for the reason yours is.. I would find a different surgeon. I had no complications and I'm doing fantastically.

Thank you all, I am still in my 1st phase of visits and nothing has been submitted to insurance yet, the surgeon did say he would go into operating room with 100% intention to do RNY because he believes that is best choice for me as well. But he advised if there wasn't enough room to move around to get the RNY done he would do sleeve for my own safety and can go back and do RNY after I dropped some weight. And he said he's only had to do that a few times out of the thousands of surgeries he has done, but that he has to let me know it's a possibility. So maybe i am worried about nothing, he is just giving full disclosure.

Actually, that is my understanding of why the sleeve was developed. It was initially used to help people lose enough weight to have a second procedure safely (the duodenal switch). The results were so good with the sleeve that many people didn't require the second procedure. Now, it is the most common because it works so well but with fewer drawbacks (except for those with GERD).

@, sounds like he's worried your liver might not shrink enough before surgery... That's certainly possible for you to take care of! Just change your diet now, and really try your best not to cheat on the preop diet. All the hard work you do now will pay off during and after surgery. :)