Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone have Aetna? I just started the process and have been told if I am medically cleared and have 3 nutrition weigh in weight loss attempt visits within 90 days Aetna will approve at 90 days otherwise I have to wait up to 6 months for them to consider me. Wondering if anyone else has Aetna and how their process went.

I have Aetna and mine went pretty fast. I finished all my testing and submitted the last test result to my patient advocate on Wednesday and I had my approval from my insurance the following Monday.

I have Aetna and mine went pretty fast. I finished all my testing and submitted the last test result to my patient advocate on Wednesday and I had my approval from my insurance the following Monday.

I am also a newbie, in addition to Nut visits , did you have to do any supervised exercise visits?

Just posted this in another thread:

Hi there! I have Aetna. I was required to do three months (90 days) of nutritional counseling with a nutritionist or go on a six-month physician-supervised diet. I went with the three months with a nut. Btw, I was required to do 90 days, from the first appointment to the last. I had to add an extra appointment to meet that requirement. I did not have to do any kind of supervised exercise. My other requirements were 1. records of my weight a year ago and two years ago 2. psych eval. Hope this helps!

To clarify, I went to a nut who was well-versed in my insurance requirements. She took care of everything. She was recommended to me by my surgeon. He sends many patients her way, so that's why she's in the know.

PS Things went pretty smoothly with them. It probably helped I had this nut who knew what she was doing as well as the insurance coordinator for my surgeon who is awesome. Aetna approved my surgery two days after my paperwork was submitted.

Just posted this in another thread:

Hi there! I have Aetna. I was required to do three months (90 days) of nutritional counseling with a nutritionist or go on a six-month physician-supervised diet. I went with the three months with a nut. Btw, I was required to do 90 days, from the first appointment to the last. I had to add an extra appointment to meet that requirement. I did not have to do any kind of supervised exercise. My other requirements were 1. records of my weight a year ago and two years ago 2. psych eval. Hope this helps!

To clarify, I went to a nut who was well-versed in my insurance requirements. She took care of everything. She was recommended to me by my surgeon. He sends many patients her way, so that's why she's in the know.

Thank You!

Thanks sounds like my NUT knows her stuff too so far she has scheduled me 2 follow ups within 90 days for total of 3. I was already cleared by the Psych and met with surgeon already. Hopefully by blood work and ekg come.back ok and after 90 fills days it's smooth sailing. Here's to hoping and praying. Thanks again.

Good luck to you both! :)

I have Aetna Choice POS II. I too had the option between a 90 day multi-disciplinary program or a 6 month program with a physician. I chose the 90 day multi disciplinary program at a Bariatric Center of Excellence. Which I must say is the best way to go. Absolutely everything is in the same place. My 90 days worked out to be 4 total visits to meet the requirement. Each of my visits I would meet with my surgeon, the nutritionist, and the surgery coordinator (she handles insurance as well). In addition to my 4 visits within the 90 days I also had to have a Bariatric Psych Evaluation and provide 2 years of weight history. I submitted to Insurance on August 17th and received my yes from Insurance on Wednesday August 26th. My surgery is on October 20th. My best advice for anyone just starting the process would be to call your insurance directly to confirm the requirements and soak up as much information as possible about how your new life will be. Best of Luck to you!

Funkecoldmedia

What is the difference between multi-disciplinary program and 6mths program by a physican? I gave the same aetna insurance and I'm going thru st vincent charity hospital bariatric center of excellence. I wonder if I'll b given the option. I'll take it of course.

I have Aetna and did the 90 day multi-disciplinary program. It actually too 4 months to complete all the required visits at the right 30 day intervals. Once all completed, approval took 10 days.

I have Aetna as well, and am nearing the end of my 90 day multidisciplinary program. I really freaked out about the 90 day thing, because I kind of wanted the 6 months to fully wrap my head around the whole thing and find some support-so far it's just me, a semi supportive husband, my kids, 2 friends who live across the country and the wonderful people here at bariatric pal. The program itself has been pretty easy. The first step was meeting with the NUT for our appts. We have them at 45 day intervals. I've done 2 already and my 3rd is just around the corner on the 29th. Usually we talk a lot about what's going on and what to do to train myself for life after surgery like dedicated exercise, eating balanced and Protein first, not drinking with meals, etc. I've also completed and shocking passed my psych eval which for me, was the single worst part about the whole process. I was so stressed, but it worked out just fine. So don't stress it. :) We should have all our papers and stuff together for submittable on Oct. 5th and praying and hoping I can get approved fairly quickly. My doctor runs a small private practice in addition to working for kaiser permanente, so he doesn't have a long waiting list after approval, so it could be as soon as 10days after approval for me. I'm definitely ready although, I just wish now it would hurry up and get here. I can't imagine electively choosing to wait the 6 months over the 90 day program. I don't think it would really net you anything at all. If you have the choice, just go the 90 days.

Edited by CHELLB33

I have Aetna and did the 90 days preparation for surgery. I was approved in days. Aetna is pretty easy as long as you meet the qualifications. I've only seen denials for people that had lower BMIs but they were approved after appealing.

I get to see my surgeon this thrusday for consultation. This 1st appt after the seminar. I wonder what options and what we'll discuss. I want to pick 90 program. Want to get it started. I'm not impatient, but ready.

If it is true 90 days out would put me at Dec - Jan (4th mnth) I don't know if my husband n kids r ready for it so soon. Maybe 6mths for them.

Edited by ychani