Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aussie Bansters Chat Thread Part 2

Hi Mark, A change is as good as a holiday as they say. How are you? You are the solitary bloke on this part of the board.:biggrin1:

I did my tax this morning. Heaps of fun. Not!!!!!

I am going to go for a big long fast walk this arvo.

Hi Mez.

Susannah

Oh gosh, it is tax time isn't it! I haven't received my group certificate yet - guess thats what you get working for the government lol. Hope I get some money back this year because of the out of pocket expenses I paid my band surgeon (my insurance only covered my hospital expenses). Fingers crossed!

Enjoy your walk Susannah, I'm still crook with the flu, so I'm just rugged up at home trying to get well again!

Oh gosh, it is tax time isn't it! I haven't received my group certificate yet - guess thats what you get working for the government lol. Hope I get some money back this year because of the out of pocket expenses I paid my band surgeon (my insurance only covered my hospital expenses). Fingers crossed!

Enjoy your walk Susannah, I'm still crook with the flu, so I'm just rugged up at home trying to get well again!

Can you claim that out of pocket expense out of your taxes? I paid $3500 out of pocket. I know that it was not claimable through medicare etc. What is the procedure for this?

Susannah

If you spend more than $1500 in a tax year out of pocket for health related things (apparently even over the counter medications from the chemist - I've kept every receipt!) you can claim it back on your tax. My Dad did it last year with his because thats when he got his band. I have to ask him how to go about it, but he did get a percentage back, I am sure of that! I've always done my own tax, but I'm thinking I might go see a professional this year to make the most of this.

If you spend more than $1500 in a tax year out of pocket for health related things (apparently even over the counter medications from the chemist - I've kept every receipt!) you can claim it back on your tax. My Dad did it last year with his because thats when he got his band. I have to ask him how to go about it, but he did get a percentage back, I am sure of that! I've always done my own tax, but I'm thinking I might go see a professional this year to make the most of this.

I went to H&R Block the year I was banded. I ended up getting a fair chunk back (I kept all of my pharmacy receipts too, plus the one from my banding) I can't remember how much I got back, but I remember it was more than I expected.

I guess I should dig up the receipt from my Tummy Tuck. I should get something back on that too.

Heres the link to the ATO website and the calculator you use to figure out your rebate from medical expenses. 20% is what you can get back - which isn't much, but its better than nothing!!

Tax Tools

Hi there all,

I dont know what happened to my original post, but you got the drift anyway.

I,m going real well at the moment ,i,m cruising, i,m eating some wrong things but as i,m at my original goal i,m happy just to maintain at this stage.

I have an appointment on this Thursday , but im not interested in any fills or unfills.

But as you may know i,m concerned about the "feel or shape " of my port. It doesnt feel the same, so i,ll get it checked out.

Ahh. Tax time, thank god i have an accountant that does all that, i wouldn,t know where to start.

Mark:)

Hi All,

Bron glad to hear you are feeling better.

Mez, thanks for the link. I have worked out I could claim about $400 back just off the medical expenses rebate alone, which is good.

Chickie, how are you finding running in winter? Is it harder to get motivated? I may buy a treadmill with my tax return money.

Jacqui I saw the pic of your daughter in the before and after pic section of the board. She is a blond bombshell!

Mark, I hear you regarding the port. Hope nothing is wrong with yours.

Forgot to report to you all that my latest NSV is that I can now feel my port easily!!!:biggrin1::clap2:

Other NSV'S to report for me are that I now fit in chairs with arms easily. I can get up off the floor like greased lightening, and I can run up a flight of stairs without puffing. Loving the band! What are all your NSV'S people? Would love to hear them.

Susannah

Hmm I think my biggest NSV lately has been that I can walk into a lot the trendier shops and buy a 14 or 16 (even a 12 once!) and they fit, properly. That feels great - to be able to dress like a 28 year old and not a 50 year old (did anyone else find that - that they don't make fashionable clothes for bigger gals?). I think another one was when I went for my last wedding dress fitting and they had to take it in 4 1/2 inches. I bought it in January and it was too small then, so that felt great!

Hmm I think my biggest NSV lately has been that I can walk into a lot the trendier shops and buy a 14 or 16 (even a 12 once!) and they fit, properly. That feels great - to be able to dress like a 28 year old and not a 50 year old (did anyone else find that - that they don't make fashionable clothes for bigger gals?). I think another one was when I went for my last wedding dress fitting and they had to take it in 4 1/2 inches. I bought it in January and it was too small then, so that felt great!

Yay Mez!!!:clap2: It must be ace to just be able to pick whatever you want. You really pulled off the strapless style in your wedding dress too by the way. Not many can do that.

Susannah

Oh, shopping is my greatest joy now, lol. I'm 40 in a few weeks and even I felt like I had to dress like my mother in law a lot of the time. Everyday clothes were OK (although I begrudge paying $75 for a darn Tshirt) but more formal stuff, ugh. And thank god I am a stay at home mum and didnt have to tackle work wear.

Now its so bloody cheap!! Sales on, yeah, grab a few 14's, pay like $20 for a pair of pants, got 3 tops for $30 in Jay Jay's the other day, nip into somewhere like Kmart and buy a sleeveless parka for $30, its unbelievable. I have sooooo many clothes now becuase its so cheap when you're smaller.

If I were buying workwear I'd spend more probably but for everyday clothes, its amazing. And we have a formal dinner next week for Doug's work, every year its been a tantrum and tears over the tent I've had to wear, last year wasnt so bad, at 86kg I had a nice dress made and felt good in it, but this year, I was at The Glen, saw a dress in the window, thought, I'll have that thanks, and bought it in 5 minutes flat, size 14, perfect fit, $190!!!

Chickie, how are you finding running in winter? Is it harder to get motivated? I may buy a treadmill with my tax return money.

Susannah

I am finding is easier. I have trouble running when it's 40 degrees (plus sometimes). I tolerate the cold better than the heat as a rule anyway, so that may be part of it.

But I find that if I go for a run early in the morning, I am warmer through the day.

I love shopping now! The only trouble is, the size 8's in the usual department stores ( Kmart, Target, Big W) are cut so frikken big! They hang off me. I have had to shop pretty much exclusively in Myers, David Jones & Colorado. They carry a size 6 that actually fits me!

It's such a shame!! (inset evil laugh here)