Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

smoothies are thick.. How do you get it all in?

I am trying to get down a vanila chai and cherry smoothie this morning. I saw the nutritionist yesterday and I am NOT getting in enough food, Water or Protein. When you add anything to the Protein powder and milk it gets so think. All I added today was a few frozen cherries to try to get things in my body moving again. However it is going to take me over an hour to get this thing down. Although it is 37 grams of protein.

How do you get in all of your water and protein in in one day if it fills you up so much?

I had my first bit of real food last night, started on mushies. I had one ounce of chicken and not even 1/4 of a very small baked potato. I was full for 3 hours and could not get in any more water last night.

How do you do it?

I worried over that very question for months. Now I wish I had just ignored it. TRY to get in enough Protein. Throw in something to make you "go". Drink ALL your Water. Then forget about it. After five months I feel fine, very healthy. Take a Multivitamin and don't worry. (That's what my doctor said, but I don't listen too well. :D ) I had (and basically still have) a low capacity. It's all right, but it IS hard to adjust to it.

And remember -- you are probably still swollen from surgery. This is normal.

Thanks, I figured that I was pretty normal. I just do not want to deprive myself of what my body needs to keep functioning.

As long as everything keeps moving I will be ok.

:-)

At this stage, the Water is far more important than the Protein. Of course, try for a decent amount of protein vs carbs, but most importantly, don't let yourself become dehydrated. During the liquids/mushy phase it is quite a challenge to get all the protein in. I would drink an Atkins shake for Breakfast, have Jello, yogurt, popsicles throughout the day, maybe a Soup at hand for lunch, then another atkins shake in the evening, but most importanly, water for hydration.

hi--- i've been doing the trader joes whey and vanilla soy Protein shakes... i made it with fruit, and juice.... tooo thick so now the vanilla soy, i mix with 1/2cup orangejuice,1/2cup Water, 1 ice cube...so it's lightly thick, but very drinkable.... was to hard when i added the fruit,,,and chocolate whey i mixed with just milk and 1 ice cube..... hope it helps...

Funny, I was just looking on the net for high protein/low calorie formulas for when the time comes for me to be banded. I saw on this site a powder that has 50 grams of Protein per serving, don't know if it would be a help much to anyone, but I am planning on buying some:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/nb/lowcarb.html

Sorry, I can't advise you, as I won't be banded for a couple of months, but kudos to you on your weight loss!

Audrey, you only need 60 grams of Protein per day. Getting one you like the taste of is the tricky part. Save your $$ Sorry, but those are probably horrible tasting!

I read 60-90 grams of Protein a day. Thing is, I can't eat regular fish, only shellfish, which is loaded in sodium, so that cuts down my protein sources in half (though, for some reason, I can eat tunafish, go figure). I'm buying this for the pre-op and post-op diet, and wouldn't use the whole amount if I don't need it. Any Protein Shake will taste nasty to me- believe me, I've tried just about everyone of them out there from previous diets, and most are the same taste, different flavor, LOL. Just something to keep on hand, if I get tired of my limited food choices.

I have found a Protein drink I really like. Of course I heard about it on here. unjury.

Order the vanilla, chocolate and unflavored. I would think that one with 60 grams of Protein in it would be horrid. And I agree with everyone above.

I found a smothie that I really liked yesterday and it was not too think.

1 scoop vanilla Unjury and 1 teaspoon of Pacific Chai reduced carb vanilla chai latte'.

I love Chai tea so thought I would try it. It taste just like a cold vanilla chai tea latte' and only added about 10 calories and about 1 or 2 carbs ( at a guess it is - for 2 tablespoons; 50 cal, 15 carbs, 1 sugar, and 1 protein)

Roro, you are right, if I take out the fruit it is much easier to get down, for right now. As long as I have something that taste good to me and it not a 1000 calories I am happy.

On the high Protein front, I think the shakes are truly helpful, I use the slimfast optima low carb shakes, but to add variety, I've been looking for other sources. This week I found a new flavored tuna at wally world. It's a starkist flavor pouch, herb and garlic flavored tuna. I'm not much on tuna, actually don't really care for it, but I felt I needed something solid. I finally decided I'd try this, and it was really surprisingly good. I ate it right out of the pouch! It's supposedly a 2.5 serving pouch, so if you're pretty restricted, it could be, but I ate the whole thing. It was all I ate for that meal, and it really satisfied me. It's pretty high in Protein, low in fat, and has the good omega-3's in it. There are other flavors I haven't tried, smoked, sweet and spicy, and lemon pepper. I guess, if like me, you get tired of just shakes, it's another alternative.

here's the hickory smoked info:

Servings per container about 2.5

Amount per serving

Calories 60 Calories From Fat 10

Total Fat 1 gram

Saturated Fat 0 grams

Cholesterol 20 milligrams

Sodium 280 milligrams

Total Carbohydrate 0 grams

Dietary Fiber 0 grams

Sugars 0 grams

Protein 13 grams **a whole pouch would be 33.5 grams of protein

I think Mom is still on liquids. Mom, when you add the fruit, don't add too much. That will control the thickness of your shake. Then if it's too thin, throw in a few ice cubes. It's all just "fine tuning" it. But when you do get to solids, tuna is a very good source of Protein.< /p>

I tried the TJ high high Protein mix by METRX I think which said it had like 37 gm of protein per drink but it was WAY WAY too thick. I just took half of it and mixed it with soy and or fruit (mostly just soy). my trainer seems to think you should NOT mix soy and whey and that the different aminos "cancel" each other out. I could not find any proof but this guy really know his stuff so now i mix rice milk with whey protein. I agree with Rebecca that just try and get in as much as you can and make sure you drink Water but don't get hung up on absolutely having to intake a particular # or you will go batty. good luck and keep us posted!

Hello to everyone,

i have been reading a lot of posts and getting a lot of good info.and i would like to

know where to get the Unjury and the pacifac chai low carb vanilla chai latte.

lap band surgery date Nov.29th Thanks

Eva