Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to get checked out

My husband had his surgery on August 24th and has been doing very well; even better than I did my first week. Early this morning though he got really dizzy, started to pass out and then fell. He was clammy and cold. His temperature was 97 at 4:30am and 96.8 at 9:30. After sleeping for a bit longer, he wasn't feeling dizzy anymore. He said he doesn't think he hit his stomach and has been getting plenty of fluids, but I am concerned about possible infections as the temperature may indicate that. At what point should he go get checked out at urgent care?

It might be a low blood sugar problem. A few people who have undergone gastric bypass operations develop hypoglycemia. This is irrespective of whether they were diabetic before surgery or not. If your husband was diabetic before surgery, is he off the diabetic meds now? This (still taking the diabetic meds when diabetes goes into remission) may also cause the symptoms you are describing.

Yeah I had him test his blood sugar and it was normal. We ended up going to urgent care and his wbc and platelets were elevated, but the on shift doc said that is normal after surgery. I didn't have that issue after my bypass so I am just trying to keep an eye out

I'm the husband. Checked all kinds of things in regards to it at the time because of past health problems but none of that seemed to be the cause. It would seem it was dehydration or low electrolytes since I've felt ok since urgent care. No to just deal with the gas pain that keeps building up...

Glad you went to urgent care. Sometimes you just need to eat on the side if caution. Glad you are feeling better. You have to sip sip sip and stay hydrated. Almost 3 months out I get dizzy sometimes when not drinking enough. Have you tried Gas-X strips for the gas? I really did find it helped. Also a heating pad seemed to help me.

Gas x and walking. You can toot all the way to the mailbox and back. Lol. Hope you get to feeling better

@@Sollabe - Yes I used the heating pad on my stomach. I don't know if it was just in my mind or not but it sure felt better! Also, if you can stand it, kneel down on your knees and then lay down with arms outstretched on the floor (in other words, your stomach pressing against your knees with your bum up in the air). That will sometimes help release the gas. Keep taking the Gas-x. Just one strip didn't work for me. I would generally use 3 as a dose.