Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

​UGH! I had peanuts last night. I even weighed it out - only 1/4 ounce but I after I ate them, I had this brief thought "did I chew that?". Um yea so I guess I didn't. I am SO sick! I threw up last night and several times this morning. I can barely get anything down. Few sips of shake came back up. I have managed 2 - 6 oz cups of warm tea all day. I tried chicken broth - got in maybe 2 or 3 oz before I feel too sick to go on. Have had Zofran 3 times today. I actually was at the surgeon's office this morning and she said I may just have to keep vomiting until it comes up. I must have a stuck peanut! Really? I am SO miserable....

OK, enough whining. Any great ideas out there how I can feel better faster? I really do not want to vomit again. Surely this darn peanut is gone by now!

It is hard to believe that a few peanuts would set you off. How far are you post-op? I have found that if I eat just before bedtime, whatever I eat seems to stay heavy in my stomach and it can lead to a trip to the restroom to vomit. Therefore I try and make it a point to not eat anything hard just before bedtime. For some reason the digestive process appears to work better in the vertical position than the horizontal position. So for advice, if you ever eat anything heavy before bedtime, don't go to bed but do something like watch TV for a few hours before you go to bed.

I agree it IS hard to believe but given I was vomiting peanut pieces 14 hours after eating them, I believe I clearly didn't digest it. I am 12 weeks out tomorrow. I continued to vomit (at least 20 tines yesterday) and again this morning after only a few sips of Water and my Synthroid. I'm feeling a little better now and sipping slowly but if I can't keep this water down, I am going to have to go to the ER. Thanks for the advice on timing of food. It was around 8 pm when I ate them but I will definitely be more aware of that in the future! Praying water stays down now and I don't have to go to ER. Hopefully I finally dislodged or digested it.

@@Daisee68

I am so sorry! I have never had anything stuck like that besides a pill and as you know they dissolve rather quickly.

I hope you feel better soon.

I too am surprised that a peanut would get stuck.

Ugh!

Maybe it's something else. I've been vomiting off and on for 40 hours now. Can't keep Protein down at all. Not sure what to do. Dr office to let them know if I can't keep Water down. Trying that now.

According to my guidance book, nuts are to be avoided during weight loss. I am 27 months post-op RNY and I consume nuts without any difficulty. I suspect you should avoid nut during the first year post-op.

It is possible that you might be suffering from Stenosis/Stricture - a narrowing or constriction of the diameter of a bodily passage or orifice. This is most common in procedures that rearrange your digestive system such as gastric bypass surgery (up to 8% of patients) and duodenal switch surgery and results from a build-up of scar tissue between your intestine and your reduced stomach or at an intestine-to-intestine connection (anastomosis).

The primary symptom is almost always vomiting, and it is usually treated by inserting and inflating a balloon to stretch the connection between the stomach and intestine. GERD and older age increase the risk of strictures.

Thanks for the info. Mine allowed nuts so I wasn't too worried. I thinking is something else. I ended up in the ER because just couldn't hold anything down. They gave me some IV fluids and just did a CT scan tinder if they could find anything. Waiting on the results. Maybe it's just a weird virus? All my bloodwork came backbone so they just don't know. The IV med and nausea med helped. Maybe I just needed help getting on top of it. Not sure. Waiting on Dr to advise CT results

Well my friend. Seems you may be right. They found nothing on the CT and sent me home last night. As long as I don't put too micron my stomach, I'm OK. pills go down. But a few sips of chicken Soup at lunch, not so much. They are going to schedule an EGD and see if there is a stricture. Very common at 3 months and I am 12 weeks today. Hope I don't have to wait over the whole weekend but if I do, at least now I know what it likely is and that it wasn't all in my head!

Could it have been the fat? I don't do nuts because they are too high in fat for me.

No unfortunately it turned out to be a very tight stricture. I think possibly a small piece of the peanut may have blocked the small opening from my stomach to intestine (yes the hole was that small. The pic is unbelievable!). I did vomit peanut 12 hours later (still a discernible chunk) and then continued to vomit for 72 hours afterwards. Not sure how the peanut triggered the Hoke thing but appears to be a coincidence. Not sure how long the stricture has been there. Have bee referred to GI Dr who will have to do balloon dilation a couple of more times. Will know more once I visit with him. Meanwhile I am back on liquid only diet.