Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was all set to get the lap band but my mom thinks the risks are way higher with the Lap Band vs the Sleeve. I don't quite understand how the sleeve helps you lose weight. Idk what to do. Anyone had success with the sleeve?!

I would think there is more of a health risk with the sleeve than with the lapband, I had the lapband this past Monday, either way WLS is a dangerous surgery but you can lose weight either way. You lose weight with the sleeve by restricting intake of calories... but if you don't follow rules you'll gain weight either way ya know... hope this helps...

How are you feeling since surgery?

Honestly, I'm sore as all get out on the side where he took the stomach portion out, but I feel good... will be very glad when I can move around better... best decision I believe I could've made for myself...

My bari doctor doesn't even do lap bands anymore, because of the high failure rate...just not a worthwhile option.

Scooping out most of your stomach (to make it smaller) sounds scary and painful and unnatural, but I'm on my 10th day post-surgery, and it's really not bad to get used to. Yes, there's pain, yes, there's nausea...but it passes soon enough. It's treated me pretty well so far. The most difficult part has been ensuring proper hydration, given that you can't just chug Water down when you need it...you have to do little sips.

I've been losing about a pound a day since the surgery.

I am 13 weeks out from sleeve surgery and down 57 pounds since surgery and down 87 pounds total. I didn't want the lapband due to failure rates and having t have fills done often. I have met many people on this site who have been revised to sleeves due to their band slipping. There is a gentleman in my live support group who is 6 years post op with the sleeve and lost 350 pounds.

The sleeve is a safe and effective procedure. Everyone's situation is different and it is a personal decision. All of the surgeries work but they are just one piece of the puzzle. Good luck with your decision!

I got the sleeve because I wanted "one and done". I did not want a port in my belly and to have to deaL with fills and deflates and the risk of the band rupturing my stomach. I have enjoyed a textbook recovery with no hair loss. I could not have asked for better results than that.

My surgeon doesn't do lapbands anymore either. Too many failures, slipped bands, scarred stomachs, vomiting, and not enough (average) weight loss.

And repeated fills / refills of the band are expensive.

Sounds like you need to do a lot more research about WLS before you're ready to have surgery of any kind. You need to learn about the behavior and nutritional changes you'll need to make post-op to be successful long-term.

None of the WLS procedures are magical or fix obesity by themselves. You will have to make many other changes and create a new lifestyle for yourself to become slim and healthy.

Very best to you.

I was sleeve nearly 10 weeks ago and it is the best decision I ever made. I am a slower loser than most but as long as I am losing, I am happy. The main thing no matter what you have done, is you have to be prepared for a complete lifestyle change than what all of us have been living to get here. Just be prepared mentally and you will do great. The better the surgeon the higher chance of success and less complications

mom thinks risks higher Lap Band vs Sleeve.

@@rosebud_char

IMO - "mom knows best" this" time :huh:

(not usually! ;) )

lappers - this is my opinion - please don't get mad at me :(

went to seminar with the intent/decision of the lapband

except for gastric bypass - i basically did't know any other WLS

i had not heard of the sleeve 4 years ago :huh:

i told didn't doc i didn't think i could have bypass because i wasn't "big" enough

he said "yes you are"

ummmm, wonderful comment that i didn't think i needed to hear :huh:

doc started talking about the sleeve in his seminar

ears perked up

hubby and i talked to surgeon about the sleeve

after much discussion - i chose the sleeve :rolleyes:

wise decision (for me)

85% of my stomach is now gone :)

i don't miss it :rolleyes:

sleeve performed 12/15/11

one year later i had lost 105 lbs :o

reaching my goal of 130 :rolleyes:

fluctuations, but maintaining these past 2.5 years and counting ;)

choices/decision are hard to make

i would have the sleeve 2X a week and once on sunday!!

luckily once is enough!! :)

hope to see you in sleeveland ;)

good luck with your decision :)

kathy

more health risk with the sleeve than with the lapband, I had the lapband this past Monday,

@@Sleeved_Me

i'm soooo confused :blink: :wacko:

your name infers you had the sleeve :)

but you say lapband is what you had???

what am i missing?? (new/frequent comment used on the board :))

i think i took a dummy pill this morning instead of my Vitamins :huh:

whatever you had - best of luck :)

kathy

I have had several people close to me who have had severe problems with lap band, my MIL had 2 both slipped and pinched off her esophagus and she was aspirating into her lungs, she almost died the last time, another friend had it was doing good then months later port got infected & she was in the hospital for days, I saw at my drs office yesterday that even when it's removed your stomach will stay that shape. I was sleeved on July 6th, I tried to do too much too soon and pulled my stitches (the 2 internal) now that really hurt but I'm down 28 lbs today I feel great, no swelling in my legs, just an overall well feeling. Good luck.