Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perspective on eating needed!

Hello everyone. I need a little perspective. I’ve been going through the pre-op process for RNY and finally have a surgery date scheduled-November 9th. Now, I’m seriously questioning whether I can really do this. So, today’s panic…..can I really eat as slowly as they say, waiting a minute or two between bites? What happens if I don’t eat that slowly? I’m good with the small bite thing, with chewing thoroughly but I have a tendency to eat on the run (I travel a lot for my job) or while doing something else. How important is this? I’m scared to fail and equally scared to succeed so I don’t want to sabotage myself by making a mountain out of a mole hill. Any thoughts for me? Thanks so much!

~Lynne

I'm still preop but I've realized how many habits I have/had that reinforced my perpetual obesity. Making time for meals was one of them. I used to be "too busy" to have a sit down meal. I just made it a priority... Rather I made myself a priority. I now eat Breakfast, lunch and dinner even if one of them ends up being a Premier Protein shake or hard boiled eggs and some carrot sticks. Think about all of the habits that you have that keep you heavy. Do you drive instead of walk? Do you rely on convenience food or eating out instead of cooking? Do you reward yourself with food?

Start with one good habit a week- whether it's eating more fruits and veggies, or tracking your food no matter how many calories you eat, etc. you can't sustain perfection from the get go, so try one positive thing a week and work up from there.

Edited by mamachef82

I had very similar fears. Would I be able to eat enough, at the right times, the keep my body nourished? Would I forget and eat too fast, or eat the wrong thing? Etc. I had my surgery almost 6 days ago, and not only do I not regret it one bit, but I found that a lot of the things I feared were just a non-issue after going through everything I have gone through with surgery and my recovery so far. Your body will instruct you, reward you when you do the right things, and yell at you if you eat too fast or eat something your pouch doesn't agree with. You will learn so quickly and then realize that these habits you were afraid of were really habits you knew you used as coping skills but no longer need and can no longer continue to do. Be aware of what you need to do, how you need to drink and eat, etc. but don't obsess about it because you will find (sooner than it seems!) that you will learn along the way and everything will be just fine in the end. :)

I would also highly recommend getting a therapist if you don't already have one. All of us here either have or had a bad relationship with food and eating at one point in our lives, and talking to a professional is the best way to work on your issues in a healthy way. It's just a way to kill your old, bad coping skills and obtain new, healthy ones that will server you well for the rest of your life.

Feel free to message me anytime if you have any questions about surgery, recovery, or anything, or if you just want to talk. :D

Eating that slowly is not a deal breaker. I eat like a starving rat and I still lost a lot of weight. I tried to eat slowly and chew, chew, chew but that didn't work for me. I bought a small metal spoon and that is what I use to eat with and that helped a little.

For me after RNY surgery, I lost my hunger. It was not difficult to lose weight when hunger was not constantly gnawing at my bones. This lost of hunger does not hit everyone but it does quite a few people.

I thought the slow rating thing would be hard but let me tell you, you learn very quick after you get food stuck or get sick a few times. And the further out you get the easier that gets but you need time for the food to hit your new stomach and tell you when you start feeling full. I have to use the timer in my phone still, but I'm hoping it eventually will become more habit. I do still eat in the car on the run. I just still make sure to watch the clock and space out my bites. Don't let this part scare you off. Trust me it is the least of the issues.

@ You can do this! Your body will let you know what you can and can't have.

My NUT told me that my goal (now that I'm a year and a half out) is to not feel full, but to be just less than full. So if there was a scale of 1-10 where the 1 is starving and 10 is full, I 'd want to be at about 4-4 1/2 even after eating. As a general rule of course.

Eat slowly, follow the rules, and you'll be fine.

As with all things I'm sure we are all different. For me if I eat too fast or don't chew enough I feel like someone punched in the gut until I'm able to pass the bowel movement and gas produced. So the pain has lasted 2-16 hours. I'm admittedly a slow learner when it comes to food and eating so this has happened several times. I'm 5 months out and still use the timer on my phone most days. I've realized it happens most often when I'm at work and unable to get a proper meal break and when I'm in social settings. You'll figure out what works for you.

Thank you all so much for your encouraging words.....it helps!! I want to be able to do this, to invest in myself and my health. It's just hard. I'm so glad I found this website and folks who understand!!

Yes you can do it, and you will, the surgery will help "teach" you to do it. Don't be so hard on yourself! I am still learning at 3 months out and thought similar to what you are thinking now. But being on the other side-I know all things are possible now!!!