Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First days of eating soft foods question

Ok, so. My surgeon's instructions are to eat small bites, and wait a while between bites. I am doing that. But how much did you guys eat in those first weeks after surgery. I have seen some do 1/4 cup, and I was afraid to go beyond like 1 TBSP or 2 TBSP, so I am not really sure if I am eating enough? If that makes sense. I have tried yogurt, refried Beans, and egg salad. I eat very little of it and notice no difference physically.

Now, the Protein shakes... How long does it take you to finish an 8 oz one? I have yet to finish one. Wondering if theres something else I can do to get one down. I am afraid to drink too much too fast.

I guess I have anxiety over messing up and doing it wrong.

My followup is Tuesday with the surgeon.

Try to eat for 20 minutes, waiting 1 minute between each bite. You will know when you are full. Each bite should be the size of a marble, thoroughly chew!! You will do great! There are a lot of "shoulds" but you will get there if you try.

I guess I haven't hit full yet, cause I am chicken. lol But I am eating enough that I am not starving after, so maybe that's my new full.

I'm still in the liquid phase, as my surgery was on this past Monday the 17th. :D But I can tell you that I am able to easily finish an 8 oz Protein Shake, as long as I take tiny sips, wait a minute, take another sip, and so on. It usually takes me about 20-30 minutes to slowly sip them, but I haven't had any pain or even a full feeling yet, really. It's all about pacing yourself and listening to your body, from my limited experience. So don't sweat it. :)

It can take up to an hour for my to finish my 11 oz shake I can eat about 6 spoons of cottage cheese I am 2 weeks post op

I'm in the pureed stage and I still can't tell when I'm full. My NUT said it will take a couple of months to get that feeling of fullness. I usually eat to when I'm disinterested in my meal. I generally eat 3 ounces of whatever it is and I'm done. I'm allowed up to 3/4 of a cup, but like you - I'm afraid of eating too much. I see my NUT on Wednesday and am going to ask if I'm doing this ok.

I am also still on full liquids. My surgery date was Aug. 17th, so I'm 4 days post RNY. I am able to finish for the most part an 11 oz Protein shake if I take small sips for 20 - 30 min. The thing I'm struggling with is the bloating. If I eat anything even Water, my stomach distends and bloats and is very uncomfortable to stand or walk. Anybody else experiencing this? Other wise I feel great! Hard to tell whats normal or just if it's something I should try to change. Thought I'd throw that out there and see if you guys had this too. All so new and very exciting! Love that I have all of you out there to count on. Blessing your way!

@@ldubois104@gmail.com I had surgery the same day! Woo! Also I have the same bloating/gassy issue, and I found that Gas-X Thin Strips are a lifesaver. They work almost instantly, dissolve on the tongue, and made it so much more comfortable and less painful for me. I would highly recommend them.

After surgery the three most important requirements are Protein, fluids and Vitamins. food is secondary because your body is converting the stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. So don't worry about starving. Just make sure you are meeting your Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements.

Your surgeon should have given you guidelines on meal volume and meal content as a function of weeks after surgery. Just follow those guidelines and you should be O.K.

I had the bypass on 8/4/15 and had my 2 week f/u yesterday. My doctor still wants me drinking 1oz every 5 mins and eating 1/4 of a cup. I drink all day long with the exception of 15 mins prior to eating and 30 mins after. I drink an 11oz until Protein Shake until I'm finished following these guidelines. With meals I eat 1/2 teaspoon every 8-10 mins making my meal last between 30-40 mins. I haven't been able to finish 1/4 cup yet. By the time I reach my last portion or so I ask myself if I still want it out of hunger or just because it's there and I realize I am satisfied so I throw it out. My main priority though is still reaching my Protein and working up my Water intake. Hope this helps.

I had the bypass on 8/4/15 and had my 2 week f/u yesterday. My doctor still wants me drinking 1oz every 5 mins and eating 1/4 of a cup. I drink all day long with the exception of 15 mins prior to eating and 30 mins after. I drink an 11oz until Protein Shake until I'm finished following these guidelines. With meals I eat 1/2 teaspoon every 8-10 mins making my meal last between 30-40 mins. I haven't been able to finish 1/4 cup yet. By the time I reach my last portion or so I ask myself if I still want it out of hunger or just because it's there and I realize I am satisfied so I throw it out. My main priority though is still reaching my Protein and working up my Water intake. Hope this helps.

by the way how is it going ?

Niki I'm doing good how about yourself?

Tmi but I am having a Bm like every 3rd day is it the same for you Dr said its ok as we dont eat very much

It is normal but I'm more like every week. :/

Just keep in mind these are guidelines, goals to strive to achieve, you won't do it perfectly every day. Just keep trying.