Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

I wanted to start this thread because I am curious as to how many of you use activity trackers with your exercise and any fitness apps that have helped you in your weight loss journeys. What are your reviews and how do you like them? How have they helped you?

I started out many years ago with my first activity tracker before I had been banded. I had bought a FitBit One. It worked remarkably well with the features of tracking miles, sleep, steps, calories burned, time and date, and a growing flower which would grow the more activity you did. I clipped it on my sports bra or my waist of my pants and it was discreet. It was about $100 back then when they first came out and it was an investment I was willing to make to boost my activity and help with my weight loss efforts. Loved it! I paired it with Fitness Pal app and it really helped!!! However, I found out that it does not do well in the washing machine haha. I forgot to remove it from my sports bra and that was money down the drain. I never replaced it and just used the Fitness Pal app, but I didn't have that added reminder to move.

When I realized I was having all of these problems with my band, I was in the market for a new activity tracker and researched ALOT for something that would do everything I had before but less risky for me to toss in the washing machine! Activity trackers are NOT cheap and I wanted to make a sound investment that would last. I had researched the Fitbit Flex, and Fitbit Flex HR, Jawbone UP24, and the Garmin Vivofit and Vivosmart among others but found that the Fitbit Flex had problems with the band breaking or tearing after about 6 months, not to mention the band was wider than I would have wanted. My co-worker had a jawbone which was considerably cheaper, but again it was something to clip on. My Zumba instructor had the Jawbone Up24 which was pretty cool looking, the band was lightweight, looked durable, and easy to put on, but you would always have to look at the phone app to see what was going on with your info. A friend of mine had the Garmin Vivofit, and I liked the number display but the band was too wide and thick for me......yeah I know picky picky....so I finally noticed the Garmin Vivofit and I really liked it. It had all of the features that I wanted, plus a slim band. In addition, it has a move bar that reminds you to get your booty moving, by vibrating your wrist if you have been sitting too long which was exactly what I needed. I also can receive Facebook notifications and phone calls, and even can control my Pandora music! My husband actually surprised me with it. It is waterproof, but I don't want to chance it so I remove it for showers. It has an excellent battery life. I have gone over a week without having to charge it. I absolutely love mine. I pair it with my Fitness Pal and I am so glad I have it. It was a bit more than I wanted my husband to spend, but he knew it was something I really wanted. Normally its about 150.00, but he was able to pricematch it at Bestbuy for 129.00 yay! He liked my tracker so much, that he bought one for himself a few weeks later! It has already helped me keep moving. I keep increasing my goals every week when I continue to meet them. It's a great motivator and I know for sure that it will help me be more successful to stay on track when I have my revision surgery!

Tell me what your activity tracker is, and what fitness apps that you use and your reviews and how it has helped you!

I am looking around now at the various versions of the Fitbit.

I can't wear watches or such on my job so the One is sounding like a good option.

I called their customer service today to inquire about an XL band for the Flex. They do offer them after you set it up. She said it wouldn't be accurate in my pocket, though.

Would the One model work if worn on a lanyard around your neck, inside your shirt ?

I have been using my Fitbit Flex every day. I bought a generic magnetized clip to wear it on my bra or shirt when I don't want to wear the Bracelet. My husband and I always try to get our 10,000 steps and use the challenges on the app. He doesn't even own a Fitbit, but the iPhone activity tracker syncs with the Fitbit app.

I have been using my fitness pal regularly for about 2 months and I love how it syncs with the Fitbit! I'm happy with my current set up and look forward to monitoring my progress after surgery.

@@Dub - I have worn the Fitbit One clipped to my shirt and sports bra. They stay on pretty tight. If not, you can clip to the inside of your pants

I have both the Fitbit Flex and The Zip.I wear the Flex most days but use the Zip underneath my clothes if I am dressing up. My app is MyFitnessPal.

@@Mbstas What's a zip?

I use the Fitbit Flex and Lose It app they work together. I love the Fitbit and it keeps me motivated to get my steps in. My husband is setting up his Fitbit surge as I type. Have to admit I'm a little jealous his does so many nifty things.

How about calorie tracker apps? I am using my fitness pal, and need a step tracker app to go with it, suggestions?

How about calorie tracker apps? I am using my fitness pal, and need a step tracker app to go with it, suggestions?

That's why I like Lose It, it tracks steps as well as interfacing with my Fitbit

MFP synchs with most of the fitness trackers out there. Pick the one you like the best.

I looked at several. I tried Polar Loop, JawboneUp24, Garmin Vivosmart and Misfiit. I went witht he Polar Loop because all the info is there on the watch and it's Water proof. I do aquafit for most of my fitness so this was important. It syncs with MFP. The only one I disliked was Garmin Viviosmart. It always felt off somehow. For a while I would wear both the JawboneUp24 and the Vovosmart and it was always way behind. JawboneU would say I had 8k steps and vivosmart would say 6k.

Other than that pick what you like whether it's a watch or a clip on. As I transition to more land based activities, I'm going to get the Polar HRM and pair with it as well.