Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so depressed! Will I EVER get to eat my favorite foods anymore? Will I ever get to go to chick fil'a or BWW? Eat buffalo chicken dip for ball games or a hot dog at the ball park? This depresses me & make me start to regret it

Yes, you will be able to eat all of that again although the point is that you can no longer eat it in excess. I had 1/3 of a hotdog a few weeks ago for the first time in years. It was good. I've had no real desire to eat another one since. I have chik fil a regularly- especially the chicken salad sandwich and the grilled chicken sandwich. I eat about half and then I'm no longer interested in continuing to eat the rest. Not sure when your surgery was but I'm two years out and medically I can eat whatever I want. I have a sleeve that likes to make me puke when I eat fats, oils, milks, sugar, etc, but I can eat everything- it just tends to come right back up, lol.

I was told it is wise to reprogram your eating habits during the honeymoon stage the first year of surgery, so that by the time you are healed totally you will not eat all these foods that got you to the sleeve in the first place. Weight gain is unavoidable if you keep your old habits and old favorite foods.

I didn't mean to say your food was bad, just the ones you mentioned are extremely high in fat and calories (my signature dip is the buffalo for parties always asked to make it lol) now it doesn't mean you can't have it is what I'm told but we are only allowed to eat 800 calories a day to continue to lose weight and or to keep it off depending on exercise, so how I am working with the thought of not having certain foods like I used too or the portions is that if I want for example to take 2 table spoons of buffalo dip for example then that means I have to walk 3 miles that day at a minimum. Sort of like that anyways. I'm on day 9 post op and I am so over the Soups too, but I also have to remind myself that I had this surgery so that I can stop the insanity of gaining and to reduce my weight significantly. I already push my limits by drinking my soups too fast and I am going to therapy once a week to help me with my habit of over indulgence. It's going be very challenging, I hope I did not hurt your feelings, the liquid stage does suck

At 20 months out, I eat anything I want, but......what I want has changed. My body thrives now on nutritious food with vital nutrients and gets disagreeable with the greasy, salty, sweet edibles that come from a factory. I have had Wendy's chili several times, but it takes me two or three days to get through a small one.

I find that I miss certain flavors more than the food it came with. I try really hard to not let my tastebuds run the show.

In my opinion, it's all about self-control...

There are some here who will 'preach' that you should be eating only what's good and right etc for you..

There are others who will that you can eat whatever you want...

I fall in between the two extremes...

I was sleeved about six months ago and have found that if I can have a relax* meal once or twice a week, it makes the calorie/carbs/protein (et al) counting much easier to bear..

The reality of it all is that, once healed, you can eat whatever you choose... But it's those choices that will have the biggest effect on the success of your sleeve...

No, I'm not getting preachy.. I'm simply stating (my opinion of) the truth..

So fear not... Once you're healed, you can go back to eating whatever you were eating before..

If that's what you really want to do...

Kinda...

*I use the word 'relax' rather than 'cheat' as I believe there is no 'cheating'. It's simply 'relaxing' and not worrying about the nutritional value.

Hang in there. I promise it will get so much easier. As you lose the weight and progress through your eating stages you will learn what works for you. I am over a year post op and I can eat anything I want. I just can't eat as much as I used to pre op.

I do track my food and make sure I eat my Protein requirements, but I feel like I eat "normally". I have days where I eat treats, I just get right back on check the next day.

You can do this. Hang in there and it will get easier as time passes. Good luck to you!!

I'm pre-op, and this is my biggest fear :( I ask myself, do I really love food so much, I'd rather be fat the rest of my life? Rather suffer from high blood pressure, sleep apnea, sore feet and knees all the time?

Logically, the answer is no, but I know it's going to be hard. I suspect I'll feel the same as you in about three weeks, when I'm one week post-op.

I HOPE they once the weight starts coming off, and I start feeling (and looking) better, that I will come to terms with my decision a little more. I just have to remind myself that it's going to suck for a while before it gets better.

Good luck in your journey!

Edited by ttdish

4 years out this December and I CAN eat anything at all. I choose not to because I work at maintenance...

Wow your only 6 days out and you want to eat those things? It's kind of surprising that u feel like you want that now I did feel some hunger but not for that kind of stuff it's so early yet your really swollen inside it's going to be a process to work up to regular foods again it took me a couple of months before I ate anything that I'd eaten before and then only a couple bites and I was full I'm almost 6 months out from sleeve surgery I can eat pretty much anything I want just a small amount however I'm realizing that when I eat things like bread I seem to not lose as much and I had a stall for the first time where I stayed the same for three weeks then the next week went up a 1lb I went to a BBQ one weekend and ate some things I don't usually have but I was pisssed!!!! (I almost took a sledge hammer to that scale) then then next week went down seven lbs u will get to eat normally again I promise I know this sucks right now but it will get better just remember this surgery is a tool not a miracle that allows you to eat whatever you want without consequences