Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like eating too much?

Hoo boy!

Why are some of you newbies going all drama llama because you've lost *only* 10 pounds your first month post-op? That's exactly how much I lost my first month post-op -- and what I lost Month 2, Month 3 and Month 4.

And you're breast-beating yourself because a few other patients are eating more than you and still losing weight? There are multiple reasons why this could happen -- but none of them are because you're a potential WLS failure or a special snowflake.

And you're whining that (based on your vast bariatrics medical training) you could possibly know more than your surgeon and bariatric team about WLS and what will help you be successful long-term? Gimme a break.

Why don't you guys just do today what you're supposed to do today. And do tomorrow what you're supposed to do tomorrow. That's how you'll lose all your excess weight and then maintain your loss.

That's how I lost all my excess weight and then a little more. I've been maintaining at 7 pounds below my weight loss goal for 4 months now.

Unless that's too boring for you. In which case, be my guest and pig out to learn how much food it'll take to bust your tiny, swollen, not-yet-healed stomach wide open.

A little intense no? Isn't this a support board? In think everyone is entitled to their process. I went through this over 8 years ago and maintained for many years BELOW goal and I am a firm believer that everyone should feel what they are feeling and feel validated. I enjoy your posts and think you have a lot to contribute but those new in the process are entitled to their anxiety.

Hoo boy!

Why are some of you newbies going all drama llama because you've lost *only* 10 pounds your first month post-op? That's exactly how much I lost my first month post-op -- and what I lost Month 2, Month 3 and Month 4.

And you're breast-beating yourself because a few other patients are eating more than you and still losing weight? There are multiple reasons why this could happen -- but none of them are because you're a potential WLS failure or a special snowflake.

And you're whining that (based on your vast bariatrics medical training) you could possibly know more than your surgeon and bariatric team about WLS and what will help you be successful long-term? Gimme a break.

Why don't you guys just do today what you're supposed to do today. And do tomorrow what you're supposed to do tomorrow. That's how you'll lose all your excess weight and then maintain your loss.

That's how I lost all my excess weight and then a little more. I've been maintaining at 7 pounds below my weight loss goal for 4 months now.

Unless that's too boring for you. In which case, be my guest and pig out to learn how much food it'll take to bust your tiny, swollen, not-yet-healed stomach wide open.

A little intense no? Isn't this a support board? In think everyone is entitled to their process. I went through this over 8 years ago and maintained for many years BELOW goal and I am a firm believer that everyone should feel what they are feeling and feel validated. I enjoy your posts and think you have a lot to contribute but those new in the process are entitled to their anxiety.

Yeah we aren't on a support board to bust our stomachs open we came to throw out anxiety here and it's given great advice but some are pretty insane and or harsh. im nearly at one month post op and I think I'm getting the hang of it so it's good but week one I was panicking and had full on anxiety to this process and it's nice to talk to other people about it . Let us/ them be drama illamas until we get the hang of it until then we will keep asking for advice and support etc. We can't All be super composed and experts right after we got our stomachs cut open, it's a learning process and support is immensely appreciated.

And Samiro what 26 lbs already? That's amazing and a bit quick that's crazy! how much have you got to lose? Also I think half of them honestly is your stomach I can't imagine losing 26 lbs that's probably 2 lbs a day to self control. It's working.

Re those eating whatever they want so early, wonder how successful they will be long term. My bet - not very. If they don't battle their internal demons, they will gain it back. This can be a frustrating experience but try to keep your eye on the long term prize and don't envy those that aren't following the rules and revel in the fact that you can make sure you will not be one of those. The restriction will come when you start eating more dense foods. Meanwhile, measure and track and stop when you are satisfied. That takes a while to learn because it is so different than our former mindset. And if you don't have a therapist, try to find one specializing in Bariatrics / food issues. Best money I have spent. Don't know how people get thru this without it - except for some of the amazing support and advice on this board. Those that have done this before us sometimes show us tough love because they know what's best for us and how we can be successful.

Hoo boy!

Yeah we aren't on a support board to bust our stomachs open we came to throw out anxiety here and it's given great advice but some are pretty insane and or harsh. im nearly at one month post op and I think I'm getting the hang of it so it's good but week one I was panicking and had full on anxiety to this process and it's nice to talk to other people about it . Let us/ them be drama illamas until we get the hang of it until then we will keep asking for advice and support etc. We can't All be super composed and experts right after we got our stomachs cut open, it's a learning process and support is immensely appreciated.

And Samiro what 26 lbs already? That's amazing and a bit quick that's crazy! how much have you got to lose? Also I think half of them honestly is your stomach I can't imagine losing 26 lbs that's probably 2 lbs a day to self control. It's working.

Hi wagyu

.I don't know how to work this thing but I can't find out how to get ur message back..lol. any way yes it's 25 pnds but I lost 11 from the week fast I had to do b4 sx..but still I know it's great my concern isn't about loosing the weight cause I've lost 90 pnds b4 without sx a few yrs ago (hailed it all bk since lol) it's just that I'm concerned on how much food I'm getting in without feeling full. . I have no problem getting food down or drink that's worry thought I wouldn't have to be so in control so early..

Ps. I have 90 pnds to go ..I started this journey at 239 I'm 215 ishh now my goal is 130 140

Samiro, I know it's annoying but the reason you aren't full is probably cause you're not eating anything solid I ate something close to solid (salmon and it was squished) a few days ago cause I'm allowed to and it went down like a brick so I stopped it and went back to liquids and pure mush. Trust me the stomach is working. And I whined a lot too my first few weeks so it's ok. My poor boyfriend had to hear me cry all week.

But know it's working. I actually have days where I'm extremely hungry and days where I just don't want to eat so it varies. I can still eat more than most sleevers but then I have days I don't eat haha. You'll get the hang of it really. I mean even if you wanted to eat more I don't think you physically can. Like I physically can't, it will hurt and it isn't nice. If you think you can eat more than you can now I assure you , you physically can't. It's head hunger and I learned it the hard way.

I think I got the hang of my sleeve it's working out. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

Ps. I have 90 pnds to go ..I started this journey at 239 I'm 215 ishh now my goal is 130 140

Wow!!! We are pretty close! I started at 230 im now at 201! My goal is also 130.

Wagyu. ..that's awesome I'm so glad to hear it gets better.. I'm listening to every word u say I promise we are very similar in any ways good to hear from someone in my similar boat. ..and yes u hubby is ready to kill me..all I do is complain lol

Keep in touch how do u write a message just to me? Keep in touch

By the by I'm 34 from nj.married 11 years and have a 5mnth old.. sleeved 8/18. .

It took a long, long time for me to recognize the difference between bored and hungry, not full and hungry, etc. It might help to recognize your tummy is like that of a newborn baby, just as small and just as delicate. You can get a newborn to swallow chocolate ice cream but it doesn't make it a good idea. Be very gentle with yourself. I had food aversions and issues at first also. Two days after surgery I gagged at the smell or taste of anything liquid, soft or mushy so I ate French fries. I felt OK with it, just a few. The swelling and paralysis went away after about a week and it started a battle with everything "good" being absolutely disgusting and everything else made my stomach hurt so bad I would vomit.

Whatever the issue is, the sooner you deal with it, the sooner you can move on to better things.

So many of us come to the point of needing medical intervention after years, or even decades, of hurting ourselves with food and shame and what we allow others to project onto us that we're often incapable of recognizing and dealing with anything but pushing everything down and putting food on it so it doesn't hurt. I found a lot of help with a professional who specializes in addiction.

I had to end the romance with food. Our break-up was emotional and painful but I felt better as I began to heal emotionally and physically..

I still have aversions to certain things but I mostly listen to my body and it seems to be working out.

Life is good.

It took a long, long time for me to recognize the difference between bored and hungry, not full and hungry, etc. It might help to recognize your tummy is like that of a newborn baby, just as small and just as delicate. You can get a newborn to swallow chocolate ice cream but it doesn't make it a good idea. Be very gentle with yourself. I had food aversions and issues at first also. Two days after surgery I gagged at the smell or taste of anything liquid, soft or mushy so I ate French fries. I felt OK with it, just a few. The swelling and paralysis went away after about a week and it started a battle with everything "good" being absolutely disgusting and everything else made my stomach hurt so bad I would vomit.

Whatever the issue is, the sooner you deal with it, the sooner you can move on to better things.

So many of us come to the point of needing medical intervention after years, or even decades, of hurting ourselves with food and shame and what we allow others to project onto us that we're often incapable of recognizing and dealing with anything but pushing everything down and putting food on it so it doesn't hurt. I found a lot of help with a professional who specializes in addiction.

I had to end the romance with food. Our break-up was emotional and painful but I felt better as I began to heal emotionally and physically..

I still have aversions to certain things but I mostly listen to my body and it seems to be working out.

Life is good.

OK. I'm rating Folly's comment 5 stars!

Life is good.

OK. I'm rating Folly's comment 5 stars!

As well as I! This is great. I believe everyone is different and we gotta work it out. This is great.

Points I should have made, strongly, in my previous reply are:

1. Post op your tummy is probably having swelling, paralysis and NERVE DAMAGE from the procedure. You may not be "feeling" a lot for several weeks or even a few months.

2. Weight loss can get a slow start in the first few weeks because you aren't getting enough and your body is conserving. It's temporary and not a big deal, your tummy needs to heal so be gentle with it.

3. WLS doesn't magically cure obesity or the emotional/psychological issues that make destructive eating an acceptable way of dealing with life. You still have to make choices and own the consequences.

4. Obsessing and freaking out over every single pound, eating what you know isn't good for you, judging yourself and feeling like a failure before you even got off the bench, wash, rinse, repeat (ad nauseam!) set you up for that "ALL or NOTHING!!!!!" thinking and self-sabotaging that can totally derail you.

If I find myself doing this, ever, I hope someone will have the balls to tell me my head is up my butt so far it's making everything I see look like crap. You're doing great and trying to rationalize hurting yourself FOR NO REASON! Stop it already, sweetheart. It doesn't have to be that way.

I urge you to get some therapy with someone who is well versed in addiction and or eating disorders. It might give you some perspective.

HUGS

Edited by Folly

I felt that way for a while... I'm almost a month out now and had chicken breast and a meatball the other night... It was then I realized that it worked... Hang in there stay on schedule but when u get to have ground meats make turkey meatballs and u will see that 1.5 small meatballs will fill u up quick!!

I'm totally the same, although 5 weeks before the surgery I went on the liquid diet! 3 shakes and 1 Soup a day. This helped with my transition into the liquid stage! I am no where near taking the 3 shakes and 1 soup a day but I believe the 5 weeks prior has helped this transition!