Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dear god...WHY AM I THIS WAY? CARBS!

Hi all! I'm sure so many of you can relate to how I'm feeling right now. I have done so well with my WL up to this point but, recently my carb intake is out of control! I even worry that I'm eating so much, I will need revision in the near future! I take medication to control my compulsive eating and I feel I have that pretty well under control but, of corse like any addiction, it's not perfect.I'm even sliding back into that old mindset of screwing up eating today so, no GYM! You know it..the old ALL or NOTHING attitude. I just feel like screaming out loud "WHY AM I LIKE THIS???" Why can't I just KNOW I cant eat over so many carbs a day, go to the gym when I'm supposed to, eat how I am supposed to??? I mean, I'm a grown woman, when will I EVER get a handle on this?? I'm so bummed out right now! My WL has slowed WAYY down and I know exactly why, CARBS, CARBS and more CARBS! It's all my fault and I know all in my hands (which always makes things worse right??) why are we built this way, with a brain that just cant/won't say NO!? It's INSANE! I went through one of the most radical surgeries known to medicine to have a second shot a life and I'M BLOWING IT WTF!!!?? Is a brain transplant on the horizon in medicine? Because I think that's my only hope! Thanks for letting me rant, keeping it in is just killing me and I know only you all really get it. Other people in my life do not have weight issues or food issues so, they just cant understand. So upset with me, as usual! UUGGHHH!

Rant & vent away!! Sometimes all we need is to be heard & understood ... really heard, as in "Been there!" I want to tell you everything will be okay, but deep down I think you just need to be heard. And I hear you!

You can get through this though. I struggled with getting my gym/exercise time in regularly & I KNEW I needed to just do it, but couldnt seem to get out of my own way. So I found a way to stay accountable.... first I signed up for a 5k. And then I went public about it. All over social media & told my family & friends. I was more determined that I was *NOT* going to look like a fool when people asked how I did and I had to tell them I couldnt finish, than I was about not going to the gym. Soooo, I went. Maybe not every day, but it was enough to make me accountable.

Long story, but basically what can you use as a motivating factor for you?? What will help hold you accountable?? I was motivated by potential embarrassment. What can you hold on to that will help you to do it when you dont really want to??

Thank you Rustbel, I am just so fed up with me right now! My son is a total Gym rat, I guess I could commit to going with him so I have to or he will know I didn't. My husband is an ARMY Ranger so, I could so the same there. My family DOES want to do some of those fun runs with the colored cornstarch being thrown, you know? I could promise we will do one and sign us up for a future event. I just wish I wanted to do this because I wanted this so bad and know I should! You know? I'm just so disappointed with me. I hired an ATTORNEY to sue my insurance for this, it took a YEAR! I had band removal, then this! I mean, why don't I care more?? That's why I say, there is just something wrong with my brain. Who would do all that just to be lax about it after?? IT CRAZY! I know almost all of us here feel like this in some way but, it's exhausting!

I am 27 months post-op from RNY gastric bypass surgery. There are two stages to RNY. They are the Weight Loss phase and the Maintenance phase. The goals and meal plan in my humble opinion are different between these two stages. At 5 months post-op you are still in the Weight Loss phase and the weight loss will level out soon and you will slide into the Maintenance phase.

In the Maintenance phase the goal is to maintain the weight loss that you achieved in the first phase. After surgery, the part of your stomach that processes fats and sugars were cut away. Therefore the meal plan excluded fats and sugars which would lead to rapid dumping syndrome. But somewhere around the 6-12 month post-op mark your body will change. The intestines will develop the ability to absorb fats and sugars in place of the stomach. This change is actually an opportunity. It give you the ability to reintroduce fats back into your diet.

I am 27 months post-op and my weight is towards the lower end of the scales. I entered the maintenance phase 20 months ago and have done very well by not adding any pounds back on. (I have actually lost 15 pounds in the Maintenance phase.) For my meals, I concentrate on high Protein meals. I avoid processed sugars. I use only artificial sweeteners (Splenda, sugar alcohol), low calorie natural sweeteners (Stevia) and natural sugars found in milk and fruit. The other types of sweeteners I avoid like the plague. I read nutritional labels. After surgery I completely lost my hunger. Without hunger constantly gnawing at my bones, it was easy to lose weight. So from my opinion the key to succeeding in the Maintenance phase is to control hunger. Fats take away my hunger, so I reintroduced fats back into my diet and at 27 months post op, hunger still does not rule my life. I use whole milk, real butter and normal cuts of meat. When I snack, I snack on fats. I have one or two cups of coffee each day. On the coffee I put a heaping spoon of whip cream. This whip cream is home made and uses Splenda in place of sugar. During the day for Snacks I consume 2 or 3 Adkin's treats. These use sugar alcohol as the sweetener and contain fat that controls hunger. I have a sweet tooth and these satisfy this need. I limit my meals to one meal per day with complex carbs (bread, pasta).

I bet it is exhausting. And frustrating. I wish I knew why our brains work like they do. If I could figure it out I never would have needed to be sleeved ... and I'd be rich! Haha!!

In all seriousness, try to find something external to force you into doing what you know you need to. The 5K wasn't too bad & the color run might be fun! My first goal was simply to finish the race ... no expectations, just finish. Now I am registered for another one in September so that I will keep going to the gym & walking. Again, I posted it all over fb & told my family so I CAN'T BACK OUT.

Finally, thank you to your husband, your family & to you for your military service!! I am always in awe of the sacrifices you make. Being a Ranger is impressive. Thank you!!

Thanks again, I will try something like that. As for the Military, he has the hard job! I just keep the house and kids from imploding! lol He is one of those who really feels it is his job to protect all of America and those who can't protect themselves, he happily does his job with that in mind. He makes me very proud. Thank you for thinking of him and all his brothers!

I've recently been investigating overeaters anonymous because of the head being in control of the stomach. I'm wanting to get real and break with my food addiction. Its been an interesting read. My band was removed due to slip and GERD. I'm working on bypass. This is a disease that must be treated inside and out!

I had the band and had a horrible time controlling my eating. I finally went to a psychiatrist and saw him regularly. After a some therapy he put me on medication they give to people fighting drug addiction called Topimax. Its used to control compulsive behaviors in addicts. The drug has really given me control over eating that I never had before but, I do still struggle with leaning towards foods with high carbs. Nothing is a fix all I suppose but, the medication has really helped. After being in counseling for years trying to deal with my food issues, I am grateful that someone finally helped me.

Maybe you need to talk to your nutritionist or dietitian..they make can help with the problem because your medicine isn't working..

I actually just saw her today. She had some good advice for sure. The meds really work well but, they aren't a magic pill, I still have some issues I struggle with but, nothing like before the medication.

I knew quite a few people from my support group who go to Overeaters Anonymous, it is weekly support to keep on track and the process has helped many be successful long term.

Hi all! I'm sure so many of you can relate to how I'm feeling right now. I have done so well with my WL up to this point but, recently my carb intake is out of control! I even worry that I'm eating so much, I will need revision in the near future! I take medication to control my compulsive eating and I feel I have that pretty well under control but, of corse like any addiction, it's not perfect.I'm even sliding back into that old mindset of screwing up eating today so, no GYM! You know it..the old ALL or NOTHING attitude. I just feel like screaming out loud "WHY AM I LIKE THIS???" Why can't I just KNOW I cant eat over so many carbs a day, go to the gym when I'm supposed to, eat how I am supposed to??? I mean, I'm a grown woman, when will I EVER get a handle on this?? I'm so bummed out right now! My WL has slowed WAYY down and I know exactly why, CARBS, CARBS and more CARBS! It's all my fault and I know all in my hands (which always makes things worse right??) why are we built this way, with a brain that just cant/won't say NO!? It's INSANE! I went through one of the most radical surgeries known to medicine to have a second shot a life and I'M BLOWING IT WTF!!!?? Is a brain transplant on the horizon in medicine? Because I think that's my only hope! Thanks for letting me rant, keeping it in is just killing me and I know only you all really get it. Other people in my life do not have weight issues or food issues so, they just cant understand. So upset with me, as usual! UUGGHHH!

@@armywife79 - I completely understand. Has there been anything that has recently caused change in your life? Maybe you are dealing with stressors and using carbs as that "go to comfort"? Stress sucks and I think as mom's, spouses, working, finances, school, family...whatever it may be can wreak havoc and drive us to carbs for that emotional comfort, but that comfort is short-lived and doesn't last and then we are back to square one. Have you tried drinking Water?, chewing a piece of sugar free gum? (if your surgeon allows), finding a health accountability partner to help each other stay on track? If you lived close to me, I would grab you up and take you exercising with me! You will have days like this, some will be harder and others easier. The easiest thing is just not do anything, and ignore it, but we all know what results that will bring...usually negative and not in the direction that we want to go. I have eaten things before, and knowing that I shouldn't eat them and I ate them anyways because the drive was so strong. Once I ate that forbidden food, I had this overwhelming feeling of regret and guilt and asked myself "why did I do that?" You don't want to lose what you have already accomplished right? Realize that we all are human and make mistakes, but we reflect on what we did wrong and move on and try not to make that same mistake. Tomorrow will be a better day, and a fresh start, and you always have a choice. So, make tomorrow your "Do over" day and get back into the groove. Do you have a good support system? Have you considered talking to a psychologist? It might be hormonal, give your primary care Dr a call too, could be increase in cortisol levels? Tomorrow is a new day, make a deal with yourself that you will make better choices tomorrow and reduce those carb temptations by removing them from your house. "Out of sight, out of mind" You can do this!!! :)

Thanks guys for all the support. Yes, I had a huge life change recently actually. After 6 years of being separated by the military, my husband is now living with me again. It happened just a couple of months after my surgery too. It's good but, still has its challenges too. I do have a good support system but, with these challenges, even well intentioned people in my life just don't get these kinds of struggles the same way we do. I'm sure you have all tired of telling non WLS people why you are different from them where food issues are concerned! They mean well but so don't get it!I saw my nutritionist today and was very honest with her,as I always am. She gave me a good talk so, hopefully I'll get this back in hand. Thanks again for being here!

@@armywife79 - I hope you are having a better day today :D