Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I picked the roux en y because of it's track record. I've seen lots of people get the sleeve and then fall back into their old ways because "they can eat more normal" and end up getting a revision to bypass later because they couldn't make it work doing that. The way I see it, I only want to have to go through surgery ONCE. The other thing is that sleeve isn't less invasive. You are cutting out that entire side of the stomach. You can't undo it. In the roux en y, they don't cut that stomach out just separate it from the pouch so, it's still there if you do have complications, it isn't impossible to reverse the whole procedure-although one shouldn't consider reversing it because it won't be exactly the same afterwards, but if you develop some adverse effect being able to reverse it seems a lot less risky than cutting it out entirely. Plus generally, the rny has better Weightloss although the sleeve still has a dramatic Weightloss, it's purely restrictive and can be defeated easier than the bypass. Eat sugar risk dumping. Eat greasy food you'll regret it, because that's going straight out your backend. These kinds of "motivators" are enough to keep me honest and not even try to test it out. With the sleeve, I'm sure I'd be back to my sugar addiction probably within 6 months and my love of everything big n greasy in the first year. Just something to think about.

Let's be clear, all procedures have some element of being scary. If there was nothing to them, this site would not exist. Sleevers sing the praises of being sleeved and bypass folks love to mention the gold standard. The outliers who've struggled with complications on average are overall happy that they chose their procedure. And a tiny percentage of folks are completely unhappy. I was convinced I wanted the sleeve. And my personal set of concerns led me with the bypass with the help of my surgeon. She told me that most of her colleagues would rather fix a complication of a bypass patient verses a sleeve patient. With the sleeve being newer the revisions and managing complications were newer fixes and procedures, too. I would think a younger and/or more enthusiastic surgeon would prefer to get after those. That sealed the conversation for me because I was afraid of complications. Everyone has to act in accordance with their fear's edge and what they can live with at the end of the day. Take your time, do your research. You deserve to feel good and confident in your decision. I'm SO glad I got the bypass in the end. My weight loss has been steady, not super fast which I was afraid of, blood pressure resolved. I've had no dumping but my body knows EXACTLY when to stop eating something that has too much fat or sugar. Hard to explain. Good luck to you! :-)

Thank you everyone! It is really nice having a place to hash this out :)

I was able to get in to my Bariatric surgeon today, and discussed options. He said we can do the Sleeve, but for obvious reasons ( like you all stated) there can be more complications. I feel horrible flip flopping around on this!! Especially at this last moment( Had to reschedule surgery 2xs now)! I am going to sit down with my support people and work it out this weekend.

I am confident, that whatever happens, things can work out as long as I do what I am supposed to do ( eating right, exercising, etc...)

Thanks again! <3

@@SleevyWonder Yes I am going to Toledo Hospital. They just added a new wing, and the Bariatric recovery is there. Everyone is usually very nice. The hospital is the one thing I am not worried about lol

I also had a touch of reflux preop. It was not properly diagnosed and thus not properly medicated\treated and was responding well to the PPI so the advice I was give was, "we think you'll be fine with the sleeve, but if the reflux returns and is not responsive to meds, R+Y will be your only option for a fix". I went ahead with the sleeve knowing this but would have jumped on the R+Y bandwagon in a heartbeat if it was the only available option! Both are good procedures. They have DIFFERENT risks, probably not significantly less risk one over the other, just DIFFERENT. R+Y has been around a lot longer and is well known and understood as far as long term results. That should help some with the fear. I have a friend who wanted the sleeve, but ended up R+Y because of his size, (he had A LOT to lose and the doc said he wouldn't do another procedure for him) and has done fabulously!

The reflux... I do still have a symptom now and then. Mostly if I eat a bite too much. It's manageable with a PPI 2xday. Still the best decision of my life! Hopefully YOU will say goodbye to reflux forever with R+Y. Good luck!

djmohr,

The more I think about it the more I have to say...wha5 you just said makes perfect damn sense...if I had gotten the bypass in the first place I would not be dealing with this ridiculousness with this band...For one thing the thought of fill and unfil is really beginning to give me stress.my acid reflux is out of control and I barf all the damn time....if I go for WLS why not go for the one that you lose the most weight...."The research is there...l really need to consider this...your doctor is right...once your stomach is gone it's done....on other blogs a lot of sleeves are complaining that after 5 years they are regaining and pouches are stretch.RNY has the history to back up its findings.....I know me....tired of whada ,should....when that Gherlin hormone comes back after 18 months then mmm....got to think this thing out.

I must say I have a cousin who was tipping the scales at about 600 pounds.He is bright and a computer genius.Hos weight never seemed to bother him because he was always popular and active involved in lots of social affairs.He traveled for business and they had to purchase 2 to 3 seats...no problem the company made accommodations because he is a valuable asset.....he became ill....legs swelling and was hospitalized for a week....undisclosed....then about 5 years ago his mom told me she was visiting him in the hospital I thought oh no he is in there hospital again....heart?Definitely weight related and a cause for concern....but this was different...he was in for 5 days because he had bypass surgery....WOW!!!!!All I could think was hey he finally did something.....5 years later he is literally half his size and a different man!!!!Yes he is a big man but wow he is at the gym.....he is traveling...on Facebook...I see his meals....very Paleo....and he is living life like a boss...no problems....

The exact same thing happened to me! I really didn't want the bypass because it seemed too drastic to me. I went to another well-known surgeon in the area for a second opinion. He explained to me that the bypass is "the gold standard" of WLSs. The medical world has a LOT more data with the bypass. He also told me that he was confident that if I insisted on the sleeve that I would regret it and end up doing a bypass in the long run. So I went forward with the bypass and have not regretted it. I was suffering from an autoimmune disease and post-menopausal - there was no way that I could get out of my downward spiral. My excess weight was aggravating my joint pain, and my joint pain (and slower metabolism) was keeping me from being active and losing weight. Tomorrow I will be 3 months post surgery, and I've already lost over half the weight I'd like to lose. I am pain free - my autoimmune disease is in remission - and I am no longer taking any medicines (except for Vitamin supplements). I feel and look 15 years younger!

Think about why you wanted to do WLS in the first place - that should be your deciding factor.

I was being pushed to rny because I failed at band and was high BMI. I just couldn't get over my fears so I cancelled. I found a surgeon who felt I would do well with sleeve and that was nearly 4 years ago and I have done awesome!

Difference is my reflux was 100 percent band induced.

My views have really changed over the last few years. I love my sleeve BUT what I really love is being normal sized with minimal nasty side effects - if my sleeve ever needs fixing I would definitely consider RNY now. It sounds like rny is a better path for you due to the reflux. I would keep an open mind but you do need to research and be comfortable with it as a choice.

@@ericaacire I would not postpone but I would get a second opinion. I would also ask more questions. I know that acid reflux does seem to occur more often with the sleeve, but if you already have it (is that the issue?) I don't know if its a contraindication or not. It sounds like that is what your doctor is saying. If that doesn't make sense to you then get a second opinion from another leading bariatric surgeon in your area and see what he says and if he can explain it better (or if he disagrees then perhaps you have found yourself a new surgeon). Good luck!

I was thinking a second opinion too. I am about a year down this road and finally scheduled for surgery on September 9th.

Just like you I am nervous. The unknown will do that to you.

I LOVE this site, so many things I have learned.

Postponement is not an option....Get it done....too many others are waiting to get your spot!!!God is with you!

I was going with the sleeve but I am going with the bypass....I got too much weight to lose and I don't want another "it's the new" I should of gotten the bypass instead of the band in the first place.This acid reflux has really done a job on me....not cutting 85% of a lapband abused stomach.

Now with that said...the "Sleeve is working nicely for my friend and her daughter.They both had their surgeries a month apart.OMG!!!they are doing well....so....its up to you...:-))

I know you are scared I was also and every other person having surgery but believe me , it was good that I went thru with it. I never had a bad time 9 weeks out only sometimes we know we are full but the old habit sets in and I finish my plate of food and bad choice you feel really awful. I never got sick to my stomach but felt pretty miserable. I see nothing for you to worry about if you trust your doctor.

Just continue to do research and read up on the surgery. Your surgeon is making a decision based on you and your medical history. You should be confident that he is making the right decision. All surgery comes with potential risks but going into it informed as possible is the best. Good luck to you!