Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery August 21st- massive nerves!

Hi all. I'm due for my sleeve on Friday and am suffering from nerves. I've cried a lot today worried about complications and horrible symptoms postop. I've read a lot of posts here the past couple of days that have scared me- people who have regrets. I could use some positivity! It doesn't help that I'm on day 8 of the preop diet and am hungry! Please send positive vibes. I could use someone telling me that it is possible to get good results with a sleeve- I'm very worried it won't work. Sorry to ramble on- it's been an upsetting day.

post-258243-14397559807224_thumb.jpgi

I am right with you but I have prayed and prayed I know this is in Gods plan for me. I haven't read the negatives that much....cause hey I could drop dead in few seconds but that don't mean it's going to happen to you. Stay positive and make you a post WLS bucket list????????????????

#1 get my sexy back so my husband and I can act like we did couple years ago..????????????????????????????

My #2is no more stomach rubbing the steering wheel...lol...maybe that sounds silly but it is something that has drove me crazy for years

#3go scuba diving

And many other

I am nearing 2 years post op...I remember the night before surgery well. I remember being in the car with my husband driving down the road scared out of my mind. I was thinking things like "Have I really tried hard enough?" "Is this the right thing to do?" "What if I have complications?" Endless thinking and worrying. The morning of surgery was worse. I was the first patient of the day - I had to be at the hospital at 6:00 am. I remember sitting in admitting thinking "I can walk out of here right now and only be out $500." I glanced over at my husband - he was scared, too. We really didn't make eye contact, but I remember thinking "I HAVE to do this, this is my opportunity." I then chose to walk down the hallway and start the process - yes, I was scared and nervous, who wouldn't be?

Here's what I know, almost two years later - this was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. I am leading the life I was meant to lead. I am happy. I am content. This is hard - the surgery and recovery from it was the easy part. I'm not going to sugar coat it - the next few months will be hard. You will have good days and you'll have crappy days. You'll be happy one day and crying the next. It's the process.

Here are a few things I've done this summer - these would have been unthinkable two short years ago...
Zip lining

Whitewater rafting

Hiking - miles and miles of hiking

Hot yoga 4-5 times a week

Taking a Segway tour of Chicago

Biking - miles and miles of biking (I even got a new bike!)

I got a promotion at work - I don't think because I lost weight, I think I got it because now I have confidence to talk to people and look them in the eye.

The most important accomplishment after I had the surgery - my relationship with my husband and son are so much better. I'm not angry all the time - I'm more patient. I have a stronger bond with both of them. About a year after the surgery my son and I jogged for a little bit and I said, "Wow, I couldn't have done that a year ago!" My son looked at me and said, "I'm glad you had the surgery, Mom. You seem happier." What an amazing moment and one I'll cherish.

In summary, I'm so happy I didn't let fear win back then. There have been so many amazing moments since then.

best of luck to you!

It is okay and normal to be nervous. Take a deep breath and let it out. I was not really nervous as much as excited. I wanted to be healthier and more active. You will get there also. Good luck with your surgery and with your journey. There are WAY MORE successes here than complications. Hang in there!

That's just what I needed to hear! Thanks guys. I was feeling overwhelmed after reading of all the complications some folk had had and lost sight of why I'm doing this. I want my life back. I want to be slim and have some control over my food intake. I want to be healthy! I too am a rule follower and am hoping if I stick to plan I'll be ok. I'm under no illusions it'll be hard- I hope I'm up to it. Thanks for your kind words xxx

Hi all. I'm due for my sleeve on Friday and am suffering from nerves. I've cried a lot today worried about complications and horrible symptoms postop. I've read a lot of posts here the past couple of days that have scared me- people who have regrets. I could use some positivity! It doesn't help that I'm on day 8 of the preop diet and am hungry! Please send positive vibes. I could use someone telling me that it is possible to get good results with a sleeve- I'm very worried it won't work. Sorry to ramble on- it's been an upsetting day.

It's gonna be ok :) hugs! I am 3 months post and have done great from the beginning....surgery was a breeze, even moved myself from the gurney to my hospital bed...was driving 2 days after (granted i take morphine daily anyway, so I am used to heavy meds lol) I had no nerves at all...I have never hit that regret wall, nothing like that. Now saying all that it hasn't been 100% rosy...constipation is a BAD thing, over-eating is a BAD thing, eating something your new tummy doesn't like is a BAD thing....and working to get in enough liquids and Protein is really a full time job :) But I have no regrets, I know I am going to do great...I am already almost 50 lbs. down (would be more if I could exercise more...bad low back, reason for the morphine :) )

I am sure you are gonna do great...that super hunger you are feeling now WILL go away, your body WILL adjust to all the new stuff you are doing to it :) Give yourself time to deal with the emotional stuff that comes with it...that is much harder to play catch up with than loosing the weight :)

Good Luck dear! Love, Light and Blessings!

Val