Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 day post op and in agony.

I don't know what to do. I am 24 hours out from gastric bypass. I am now at home and in agony I have had 6 children and a kidney stone and this pain is worse than childbirth and a kidney stone. I am taking a heavy duty narcotic and have some zofran but I am just miserable. Questioning my decision and so on. My surgeon is 3 hours away so I can't just drive back there. I have been walking but it is so exhausting and draining and I am truly suffering from all this pain. I just can't see an end in sight I am miserable..

Hang in there I was so miserable the first week. But it does get better I promise. Just take your meds and try your best to stay comfy between walks.

I can take the pain meds every four hours but within two hours the meds have worn off. I just feel so desperate for relief :(

I know...it's really rough. But it's like childbirth one day you won't remember the pain :-) I spent the first week in bed pretty much. But once I got through that it got better fast.

Just keep being positive and do what the dr says and you will do great.

I am so sorry! The same thing happened to me! (I have pre-op history of kidney stones.) I thought "man this gas is awful" and then finally realized it was a kidney stone not gas! (passed 3 within the first 3 days after surgery). I am afraid I don't have a lot of good suggestions other than drink as much as you can. You have to sip but sip very often - use a medicine cup and sip 1/3rd of it every 5 minutes. (Set a timer on your phone.) Stay on top of your pain meds. Walk as much as you can and try a heating pad or ice pack. Depending on the dose of pain med you were given, you may be able to double up on it. (I received 7.5mg hydrocodone but took 10 mg during that brief period when the pain was too bad.) If pain gets too bad from the stone, you may have to go to the ER and get a pain shot.

I promise it gets better! Try to relax as much as you can. The more tense I got, the worse the pain got. Is anyone there to help with your kids? If not, can you call a friend to come help?

I wish I had some better advice. Kidney stones hurt (I just passed another large one this week and it hurt for about 36 hours!)

Heating pad and/or ice was a life saver for me. As long as you aren't running a fever over 101 or throwing up, just lay down and rest but get up every hour on the hour so you don't get a blood clot in your leg. (Use your breathing thingy they gave you too to prevent pneumonia.) I had a scare the day after they released me and went straight to the ER. It was a false alarm but better safe than sorry. Use your Dr's emergency number even if you have to wake someone up on the middle of the night. The first 3 days were the worst for me. Finally quit taking the percocets due to uncontrollable nausea (even with the Zofran) and switched to Tylenol. You can do this. The worst is over and it will get easier each day. So sorry for your pain and discomfort.

Your pain should ease up in the next day or two. If you are taking a heavy duty narcotic, how stable are you for walking. Do you have someone who can walk with you to prevent falls.

I am not sure narcotic pain medicine really relieves the pain. A muscle relaxer would probably work better. The soreness from the surgery generally eases up as your work the muscles through walking.