Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heat stroke and the sleeve

Hi all! I'm in the process of thinking about getting a sleeve done. I've done a good deal of research, but haven't found the answer to my most important question!

I ride horses so I'm outside in the sun during the summer. Where I live summer is usually 85-95 and sometimes hotter with humidity at 20-40% for the most part. When I lived in Arizona I got heat stroke very easily when riding outside. And now that I've moved somewhere cooker I still get it. If you're wondering my heat stroke is throwing up, dizziness, light headedness, gut issues, and exhaustion.

So, have any of you experienced heat stroke getting Worse after the surgery? Do you get it easier?

Thanks!!

Yeah, WLS and heat strokes do not mix well.

At all.

For one thing, dehydration (which can happen quickly and easily in the first few months post-op) can mess you up bad. Some people wind up in the hospital to be hydrated by IV. Sounds like your riding and outdoor habits are already dehydrating you.

For another, the rapid weight loss puts a big strain on your kidneys, which has to excrete not only the post-op toxins, but the waste products from your weight loss. That's why your surgeon's instruction to drink 8 glasses of Water daily should be followed assiduously.

Finally, think about this: To be successful long-term with WLS, post-op you'll need to be both willing and able to change how you care for yourself, i.e., care for yourself a lot better. Most of us became obese or morbidly obese pre-op because we never learned how to care well for ourselves or developed the discipline to do so every day.

This journey is all about self-care. That's the only way we will develop a healthy lifestyle.

I actually feel like I am less of a candidate for heat related injuries now than I was before surgery. I eat a lot less and healthier food, so I need a lot less Water just for food processing. I do not get nearly as hot as I used to outside and I can cool off a lot quicker. After the first 10 days, drinking Water has never been an issue for me. I am back to drinking 1.5 quarts of water during my 1 hour workouts, and my 1.5 quarts camelback when cutting the grass/biking etc.

Living in Texas, I had the same concern, but it has been a non issue for me.

Since it happens so much for you have you talked with your doctor about strategies for avoiding heat stroke?

Staying hydrated is critical but you could be doing more. Do you wear a hat? Dress for the heat?

I lived in Atlanta for 30 years so I know heat. If you keep your pulse points cool it helps. Putting a cold bottle of Water against the back of your neck cools you down fast.

Heat is no joke.

Just to clarify, what you're describing is heat exhaustion, not heat stroke. Heat stroke is a medical emergency and is very often fatal if not treated quickly.

While I've only had heat exhaustion once (in high school, long time ago) I can say from experience that my heat tolerance has improved dramatically since I've had the surgery. Am I hot when it's 90+ out with high humidity and I'm riding my bike? sure. Can I tolerate it now or even enjoy it? absolutely. However, the same rules apply, and they can be harder to enforce:

stay hydrated - you won't be able to chug Water after the surgery like you do now. your sleeve will say "oh hell no" after about 1/2 cup. so you drink, wait a minue, and drink sommore. it takes a bit of getting used to though

electrolytes - no less important now than they were before. I find that half-strength gatorade works well for hydration and for electrolyte management, but I usually will bring a salty, high Protein snack for if I start to feel crampy (peanuts, Jerky, etc)

I'm one of those people who are extremely sensitive to heat (70+ and I get sick) so I understand your concern. I can tell you from personal experience that yes it does happen easier, but not much worse. One thing that you should do is make sure u take gummy/liquid Vitamins (it absorbs better). If you are deficient in any nutrients the heat exhaustion gets much worse. My arms get so weak I can't lift them and a few times I've fallen cause my legs gave out. Turns out I had a vit b deficiency. But I don't regret getting the sleeve. It's very manageable! Good luck