Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

I recently was put on nexplanon at 4 months post-op, lost 62 lbs total (yay) and been using the implant since June, so it's been roughly 2 months almost now. Of course I'm having the traditional side effects, insane mood swings, weird Migraines, irregular bleeding, etc. My concern is weight gain.

My doctor said of course with hormonal birth control there is always a risk of weight gain, though she said the average for the arm implant was 5 lbs. I noticed a month into me getting it, my weight loss started to slow down, to the point where I was staying the same weight for a week, no movement. I assumed maybe it was a stall, since I have been getting them every 12 lbs or so.

Today I weighed myself and saw a 2lb increase. Now technically I'm supposed to be having a normal period this week, but that's all out of wack due to the hormones (and no I'm not pregnant.) Now is that normal? Should I be freaking out? I have noticed little appetite changes however I am feeling hunger much more strongly than before and my craving for sugar is insanely high. Of course I am staying strong and trying to avoid anything and everything that is a threat at this point.

Anyone experiencing these worries with birth control after the sleeve? I was very sensitive to hormones years ago, I stopped taking hormonal birth control for years as a result. Of course after the surgery, it was recommended I take extra caution besides condoms (yes sadly,) so I did. Besides the insane mood swings, it's been terribly nice not dealing with any pills or inserts. I'm curious on options and experiences.

I just don't want to gain all I worked hard to lose.

Thanks!

Have you considered an IUD instead? The form you're on is full of progesterone.

I am now especially, the hormones are making me feel quite terrible! But I worry because I hear IUD's aren't as effective, especially the non-hormonal one.

I had Nexplanon implanted about 3 years ago. I have always gone up and down with my weight, but after getting it put in I gained almost 100lbs. I had never had that big of a weight gain before- not even close! Normally I can diet pretty easily and loose any weight pretty quickly. Not after the Nexplanon. I tried and tried and couldn't loose the weight. That is the reason I decided to get the sleeve. My doctor told me that I might gain 5lbs when I was getting it put in..... Lucky me I gained 100. After my ordeal I have found several people with the same experience that I had. So just be very careful- it can definitely hinder wight loss.

Oh- I also wanted to mention that I craved sugary foods constantly. I would have been happy to eat sugary Cereal for Breakfast lunch and dinner. I lost interest in normal foods. Also I did loose my periods for quite a while. When they did return it was more like spotting. I used to have pretty heavy, regular periods before that.

Edited by Amberina

That is terrifying! Since I put it in, I have been stopped, not gaining or losing, I'm deeply considering removing it now. I feel bloated constantly and I too am craving NOTHING but sugar now. It is so weird. 100 lbs though? Is that clinically possible? Was it mostly the cravings than the actual hormones?

I was just hungry all the time. And all I wanted was sugar. I was never a person with a sweet tooth before that. The cravings have worn off now- almost 4 years after it was put in. I will never get nexplanon again. I do have to say that I am very sensitive to ANY birth control with hormones. That is why I tried the nexplanon. It was one of the lowest on the list.

And yes, I most definitely gained 100lbs. It took a little over a year but it happened. I was miserable!!

Remember though- I had the nexplanon implanted BEFORE my sleeve. You have it AFTER. I don't think it will affect you badly because the chemical that causes hunger cannot be produced in your stomach, that part was removed. That is what got me. Always feeling hungry. You may stall for a bit but I'm confident that you will be successful even with the nexplanon!!

That is so scary. I can't imagine gaining so much weight so quickly.

I hope so! I too was terribly sensitive to hormones, this was suggested as the best alternative since the pills and the ring were a complete disaster for me. At most on both I think I gained 10 lbs pre-surgery, then I stopped taking any BC for 3 years completely. I am still worried because I do feel hunger but I know I haven't been eating at all lately due to stress. I should try focusing less on the sweet cravings and just eat more Protein again. I am going to try and up my fitness time to see if I can push this insane three week stall. I have been feeling myself getting lazy due to the Summer weather! Here is hoping!

I am so sorry if I scared you- that wasn't my intention. I just happened to have a TERRIBLE experience with it.

Even at it's worst, if you just fight the cravings you will be ok. I know it's probably scary because it happened to coincide with a stall. If you push through that I think you'll feel so much better about it. Just make sure to ignore the insane sugar cravings!! That was my downfall. I ate Cap'n Crunch for Breakfast lunch and dinner. I even started to put extra sugar on top of it!! I grew up in a house where that is unacceptable. My cravings were just intense. Just stay on your plan and you will be fine. It's not the hormone itself that causes weight gain, it's the fact it causes hunger and therefore you eat more that causes it.

I just had my Nexplanon removed after a little over a year. I had had it already months before my surgery. I noticed no issues with weight, but with bleeding for months straight and horrible cramping. I've noticed now that I got it removed, my weight loss has picked back up from the 1-2 pound a week.

Also have my libido back LOL

Following up with surgeon, they suggest waiting 4 months to see if the side effects wear off. I feel my nerves are stabilizing a bit more, but my weight loss isn't moving. I lost a pound all month! My sugar cravings are still horrible and what is worse is I don't feel hunger as much as I used to unless it's well, sugar!

I am scared to imagine it's the birth control causing me to stall but someone explained to me that you gain weight on birth control, so my body could be evening out because it's losing and gaining weight at the same time. Is that possible?