Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First hard day (Mentally)

Hey friends, just wanted to connect with you guys because you are the only people that truly understand what I'm going through. Just a little update, I'm 19days post-op rny and down 36lbs...so the weight loss is amazing. But on another note I had some really bad cravings today and it was so hard to not give in and just deal with the dumping. I'm glad to say I didn't give in ....but it was hard. I guess I Literally just have to take this thing one day at a time. Hopefully tomorrow will be better????

Today I stuck a tiny bite of snickers in my mouth chewed and spit it out. ????

Not my proudest moment.

That took a lot of will power to spit it out!!!! Be proud of that. This is going to be a long, hard journey but I know it will be well worth it!!! ????????????

Just think...it is much more natural for you to get these cravings now, especially because your body is losing weight so fast. And you will have these cravings as time goes on too. We all have different food issues but most of us were addicted to certain types of food or all food. For me it was simple carbs and sweets. I still have the cravings. Fortunately for me, I have bad dumping. I have eaten stuff and gotten really sick more than a few times. But, thankfully, after I get sick, it does get easier to not do it again. It seems like I forget how sick I get after awhile. Still, I never eat as much sweets as I used to...and I am down to goal pretty much. I would like to be 10 lbs lighter, but where I am now is easy to maintain. I am 2 1/2 years out from surgery. I now know I can do this long term!!!! It's not "easy" but I know I can do things to reduce my sweets cravings. Keep carbs low, keep active, exercising, keep doing my creative stuff which makes me feel more whole. It's definitely a journey that keeps going and growing.

Just think...it is much more natural for you to get these cravings now, especially because your body is losing weight so fast. And you will have these cravings as time goes on too. We all have different food issues but most of us were addicted to certain types of food or all food. For me it was simple carbs and sweets. I still have the cravings. Fortunately for me, I have bad dumping. I have eaten stuff and gotten really sick more than a few times. But, thankfully, after I get sick, it does get easier to not do it again. It seems like I forget how sick I get after awhile. Still, I never eat as much sweets as I used to...and I am down to goal pretty much. I would like to be 10 lbs lighter, but where I am now is easy to maintain. I am 2 1/2 years out from surgery. I now know I can do this long term!!!! It's not "easy" but I know I can do things to reduce my sweets cravings. Keep carbs low, keep active, exercising, keep doing my creative stuff which makes me feel more whole. It's definitely a journey that keeps going and growing.

Thank you for you response. This is definitely inspiring and helpful. My craving is for pizza but I refuse to dump over 3 bites of pizza!!! Lol!!! Hopefully it will get better.

I wish I got dumping sometimes. The good news is a bite or two and I am good and then realize it isn't as good as I once remembered.

I have not experienced dumping either. My husband had french fries the other day and I ate one (just one). I was satisified and like Djmohr said, things are not as good as they used to be.

//I wish I got dumping sometimes. The good news is a bite or two and I am good and then realize it isn't as good as I once remembered. //

I consider dumping a gift for sure. I am such an addict with sugar. It's like my anabuse. (a drug alcoholics can take that makes them severely sick if they drink alcohol). Re-reading my post about cravings I can't express in words how different things are after bypass though. I can eat pizza and I do eat pizza. But now 2 small squares fill me up for the whole night. But then, pizza wasn't my pig out food ever. I can eat too much sometimes, but am being very careful not to stretch my pouch. If I ever feel like I ate too much I will eat less and go back to regular Protein shakes.

How in the world did you lose that much weight in 19 days? I'm 3.5 weeks out and have lost 21....and I've been behaving! Good work!

When you are newly post-op my doc said not to break the rules at all because the stomach and intestines are healing and eating certain foods could cause problems with the healing. I was too scared of that to eat anything wrong.

Hey friends, just wanted to connect with you guys because you are the only people that truly understand what I'm going through. Just a little update, I'm 19days post-op rny and down 36lbs...so the weight loss is amazing. But on another note I had some really bad cravings today and it was so hard to not give in and just deal with the dumping. I'm glad to say I didn't give in ....but it was hard. I guess I Literally just have to take this thing one day at a time. Hopefully tomorrow will be better

I think you have nailed down the plan that I will follow, too: One day at a time and things will fall into place. We'll find our strides with this and get through the temptations and difficult aspects.

19 days post op and 36 lbs lost. That is truly awesome.

On thing that seems to be a reoccurring difficulty stated around here is that when the weight loss slows...stalls for while......it can be frustrating. For me, frustration was one of the triggers that led me to eating sugary junk. I know that I'll need a plan in place to deal with these times. They are sure to come so I'd better have a battle plan ready to get through it.

I had a buddy who recently quit smoking. He had an interesting incentive plan for himself. He has a savings and checking account that he manages with a cellphone app. When he quit smoking, he opened a third account with the same bank. This was his smoking account. He opened it with the money that he'd otherwise spend on smoking for the first month.

Every day or every couple of days when the urge to smoke would hit him, he'd simply use his cellphone app to transfer his daily "smoking money" into that new account. He said that seeing that money accumulate is really cool and waiting until the urge is strong to transfer & update it give him a way to address the urge.

He's a hunter and into shotgun shooting sports. He said he lets the money accumulate and bought a really, really nice shotgun and other related gear.......guilt free.

I'm not sure I"ll do the same thing he did......but I thought it was a cool approach and it's kept him from smoking.

We are working through addiction with this stuff. It's tough because there is no need for someone to drink or smoke.....but we still have to eat.....thus we need even stronger plans in place.

It sounds like you're really doing everything you can to be positive and stay on track. That's huge! Keep pushing through. I had cravings a couple weeks after surgery too. I tried a couple bites of things and ended up finding I wasn't as interested in them as I thought. It takes time, but maybe you can find some new foods that replace your old go to Snacks. There are tons of recipes online. You've got this, keep pushing through ;)

Hey friends, just wanted to connect with you guys because you are the only people that truly understand what I'm going through. Just a little update, I'm 19days post-op rny and down 36lbs...so the weight loss is amazing. But on another note I had some really bad cravings today and it was so hard to not give in and just deal with the dumping. I'm glad to say I didn't give in ....but it was hard. I guess I Literally just have to take this thing one day at a time. Hopefully tomorrow will be better

I think you have nailed down the plan that I will follow, too: One day at a time and things will fall into place. We'll find our strides with this and get through the temptations and difficult aspects.

19 days post op and 36 lbs lost. That is truly awesome.

On thing that seems to be a reoccurring difficulty stated around here is that when the weight loss slows...stalls for while......it can be frustrating. For me, frustration was one of the triggers that led me to eating sugary junk. I know that I'll need a plan in place to deal with these times. They are sure to come so I'd better have a battle plan ready to get through it.

I had a buddy who recently quit smoking. He had an interesting incentive plan for himself. He has a savings and checking account that he manages with a cellphone app. When he quit smoking, he opened a third account with the same bank. This was his smoking account. He opened it with the money that he'd otherwise spend on smoking for the first month.

Every day or every couple of days when the urge to smoke would hit him, he'd simply use his cellphone app to transfer his daily "smoking money" into that new account. He said that seeing that money accumulate is really cool and waiting until the urge is strong to transfer & update it give him a way to address the urge.

He's a hunter and into shotgun shooting sports. He said he lets the money accumulate and bought a really, really nice shotgun and other related gear.......guilt free.

I'm not sure I"ll do the same thing he did......but I thought it was a cool approach and it's kept him from smoking.

We are working through addiction with this stuff. It's tough because there is no need for someone to drink or smoke.....but we still have to eat.....thus we need even stronger plans in place.

Love your response. Amazing plan your friend came up with. I too need a plan in place for the difficult times that are sure to come. Very inspiring!!! Thanks!!!

It sounds like you're really doing everything you can to be positive and stay on track. That's huge! Keep pushing through. I had cravings a couple weeks after surgery too. I tried a couple bites of things and ended up finding I wasn't as interested in them as I thought. It takes time, but maybe you can find some new foods that replace your old go to Snacks. There are tons of recipes online. You've got this, keep pushing through ;)

Yes, I see there are tons of recipes. So excited to try them. Thanks for your response and motivation!!!