Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help!!!! cant decide

for the las 3 months i have been thinking about having the lapband surgery done, I've heard many good (some not so good) about a couple of surgeons in Tijuana mex.

1. Dr. Gonzalez

2. Dr. kuri

3. Dr. Ortiz

any advise will be appreciated

xoxox Christine

5'4" 275 lbs:help:

I wasn't banded in Mexico, but I've heard of Kuri and Ortiz. You may want to try searching back threads or maybe posting w. a more specific title.

Remember how important follow up care is, u need to make sure if u get banded in Mexico that u can find a doc in the US that is near u and wil peform fills and after care on you. I've heard from too many women who got banded and then had to drive for hours to get to a doc that was willing to see them.

I can't imagine not looking for the follow-up.

I was banded by a very reputable surgeon in Boston, MA but may be moving in the next year to my homestate of Colorado w/ my hubby. One of the first things I did when we started house hunting was look for new docs in the area and call to make sure they'd see me. I'd like to check out a few of them first, cause I really believe in Dr./Patient chemestry.

Every office that I spoke to asked nerveously if I was banded in Mexico then laughed and breathed when I said Boston. NONE of the docs w/i a 2 hour radious that I spoke to would have seen me if I was banded in Mexico.

For me it doesn't matter, as I wasn't, but it does make me nervous for other bandsters that were.

I was very happy with Dr. Valencia. Gee, I hadn't heard about it being unsafe in Tijuana. I had mine in Tijuana, but maybe if I had heard this before I went I might have had it done in Ensenada! :fear:

Dr. Valencia also does surgery in Ensenada. He most definitely has the best credentials I've seen of any doctor in Mexico. Happy hunting!

I was very happy with Dr. Valencia. Gee, I hadn't heard about it being unsafe in Tijuana. I had mine in Tijuana, but maybe if I had heard this before I went I might have had it done in Ensenada! :fear:

Dr. Valencia also does surgery in Ensenada. He most definitely has the best credentials I've seen of any doctor in Mexico. Happy hunting!

There are lots of GREAT doctors in TJ, but the city is really very unsafe. They now have these little 11-12 year old gang bangers that come at you in groups and beat you up and rob you. People are complaining to the US Embassy all the time about being beaten, stripped naked (to see if you are hiding money,) and then robbed. People are kidnapped, credit cards & cell phones stolen... happens all the time. Per the Mexican Gov't TJ is one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico. That doesn't include the policemen that steal your money. It's a different world in TJ.

I am sooo torn right now, I want plastic surgery and the surgeon I *really* want to go to is in TJ. The only thing holding me back is his location. If he was anywhere else I'd go to him in a split second. I'd be in the hospital for 2-3 days and then a hotel for an additional 4-5 days. I just don't know what I want to do.

There are lots of GREAT doctors in TJ, but the city is really very unsafe. They now have these little 11-12 year old gang bangers that come at you in groups and beat you up and rob you. People are complaining to the US Embassy all the time about being beaten, stripped naked (to see if you are hiding money,) and then robbed. People are kidnapped, credit cards & cell phones stolen... happens all the time. Per the Mexican Gov't TJ is one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico. That doesn't include the policemen that steal your money. It's a different world in TJ.

I am sooo torn right now, I want plastic surgery and the surgeon I *really* want to go to is in TJ. The only thing holding me back is his location. If he was anywhere else I'd go to him in a split second. I'd be in the hospital for 2-3 days and then a hotel for an additional 4-5 days. I just don't know what I want to do.

Thanks for your info on TJ bubble butt, but you know I did a search on this site and found thousands of good posts on TJ, and not one person mentioned having a violent or otherwise bad experience while on TJ streets. Do you think it may be because violence (it's in every city in the world, I guess) is prevalent in the bad areas? I don't think the surgeons providing their services in TJ woulk like working in the gettho or otherwise bad areas of town. Well it is only my humble opinion, because I really want to go to TJ, i have heard so much of the great service there.

Can anyone please tell me of an experience with violence in TJ?????

????

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I have received many PM's from so many wonderful people, I am sure this is the best forum of all! I did my research and went with an excellent doctor in Tijuana, I learned and contiue to learn from so many of you. I was reading some of these old posts and just for the record: Tijuana is as safe as any city in the U.S.. It is not fair nor to the city or its people to use stereotyped information or hearsay and to spread it. I can tell you first hand, you go to any of the reputable surgeons in Tijuana and you will be safe, no doubt about this. Now, wander off into the slums or ghettos (just like the ones in any U.S. major city) and you are on your own. I had a great experience, I am very satisfied with my choice. I made several friends and I will continue to visit Tijuana for follow up by Dr. Gonzalez and I know I will be safe there. OXOXOX. Banded by Dr. Francisco Gonzalez. July 24th, 2007. Tijuana Mexico

As, I type, I am 1 day post-op and in a nice hotel in Tijuana. People are much more friendly than you all seem to think. I think as long as you stay withing a couple blocks of the hospital, you should be fine. The hospital REALLY feels like a safe haven. We ate at a seafood restaurant called Los Arcos. It was packed and we felt very out of place and uncomfortable (lots of stares). I was there with my mother and the waiter brought her a rose and gave us both Kalua's (sp?).

I had mine done by Dr. Kuri and he is very wise and a real good guy.

Only thing im not looking forward to is crossing the border because that line going out of the US is HUGE!!!:faint:

Welcome to the lap-bandidos from Tijuana! How has your pureed diet been going, kind of hard the first days don't you think?

Thanks Christine. I not from Tijuana tho, I'm from Seattle. Lets see, I started my full liquids phase yesterday and its going great. I bought a big jar of vanilla Protein shake powder and a lot of creamy Soups. The only problems im having are when my friends are eating pizza and all I have with me is Water :think. Buts its ok, im not nearly as hungry as I thought I would. And if I am hungry, I mix up a quick glass of milk and Protein Shake mix and im good for the next 4 or so hours, assuming I'm drinking Water frequently in between the full liquids.< /p>

I'm guessing you have a band, Christine. Are you on the full liquids too, or are you on solids?

Hello Stephanie,

I attended a seminar at Tufts NEMC in Boston re Lap Band, and was pretty impressed. I'm in RI, and not impressed with the local programs.

If I might ask, who was your surgeon?

Was he at Tufts?

After reading these posts, I feel so lucky to have a good health insurance plan willing to pay for the procedure.

Thanks

Hello Stephanie,

I attended a seminar at Tufts NEMC in Boston re Lap Band, and was pretty impressed. I'm in RI, and not impressed with the local programs.

If I might ask, who was your surgeon?

Was he at Tufts?

After reading these posts, I feel so lucky to have a good health insurance plan willing to pay for the procedure.

Thanks

I had Dr. Tarnoff. He was great. I loved their program, knew it would be good for me, but wasn't really excited about the Behavioral Support Group, but I loved my group and in the end I wish you could attend weekly through the entire process instead of just 6 weeks. I had 3-4 weeks after it ended before my surgery.

A group of us still check in w/ eachother though.

I can't complain at all about their program. Dr. Rollanson wasn't my fave and she's not for everyone, but other than her everyone else exceeded my expectations.