Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out about surgery!

Hello! So for stats, I am currently 308, I need to lose 12 more pounds in three weeks before surgery on sept 1st 2015. I'm easing myself into the pre-op diet mode with a few shakes a day with small meals thrown in.

I live in hull, uk but I'm having the gastric sleeve surgery at Nord Bariatric in Lithuania. Once I got over the fear of leaving the country for surgery, I was hit with the realization that my surgery is there weeks away.

I am having mini panic attacks every so often when I think about going under and waking up in pain! Guys I'm a big old baby. I have never had any serious medical conditions, I barely get shots. I cringe when getting blood drawn. Post op people can you please tell me what its like going under and waking up? I'm hoping that by knowing what to expect, I will start to feel better about it. Its really the unknown that scares me.

Thanks for any time you can give me!

From what I've read in conjunction with my own experience, it's very individual. It can be pretty scary knowing you'll go to sleep and then wake up changed forever. My friend and I had surgery the same week. My pain was pretty bad while she did not have as much. Very individual.

I was nervous/excited about the surgery and had my own freakout. Here's my story:

Going under is very easy. You really won't know what hit you. Coming out is a lot less fun. You will be disoriented and uncomfortable, possibly in some pain, and my throat was REALLY raw. I spent a good 15 minutes probably just moaning uncontrollably and not really having any sense of what was going on.

As for pain and discomfort post-op, it really varies by person. I had gas pain the first couple for days, but no serious pain around my incisions or ab pain. The main challenges for me were a bit of dry heaving on the first full day post-op (no actual vomit), the gas pain, the pain from my drain which went away as soon as it was removed, and difficulty drinking. Even the tiniest little sip of Water was an ordeal for me the first two weeks or so due to the swelling in my stomach and esophagus. Everyone's experience is different, but the important thing to remember is that it is all temporary! You will feel a little bit better each day. Things will get a little bit easier for you each day. And you WILL eventually feel "normal" again. Maybe not your old "normal", but a new normal that you will be comfortable with.

I just had surgery a week ago and I can tell you I remember nothing about going under. The furthest I get in my memory is them having me scoot over from the gurney to the operating table. The anesthesiologist put something in my IV to relax me, and I was pretty much out.

As far as waking up, it's all a big haze. I can't actually remember waking up in the recovery room, only when I was being settled in my bed. I recall some back pain, but that was quickly knocked out by the pain meds I was given. I was never in pain the entire time. It was controlled completely.

Good luck!

I am day 5 post op. Waking up was not fun, so groggy, pain, but they controlled it, nausea, they also controlled it. Didn't even want to see my husband. The worst for me was trying to wake up, I was awake, but sleepy, if you know what I mean. The next day I started out drinking Water as they told me, then juice, etc. The AM before I left hospital I had a Protein shake and had no nausea at all. Pain never was bad, only took 1 dose of pain medication at home, and it was mostly for a headache. Still feeling very tired but restless. Hoping each day gets better. Trying to walk, but I have 2 bad knees, so it is very hard. Sore surgical sites, but nothing you cannot control with some plain tylenol liquid. The other women who had the surgery the same day all had different experiences. The 1 women told me she felt great, just a little tired, no nausea no pain right after surgery, so it is definitely true, everyone had different experiences. Good luck and try not to worry so much, I know easier said then done.

My surgery day is September 2, 2015! your the first person I've met with a date so close to mine! I have the same anxieties as you do! I just keep reading other peoples experiances and hopeing all goes well. Good luck too you!

Hello! We can be surgery sisters! Lol, where are you having your surgery? Where are you based?? I'm so excited to meet someone with a date close to mine. I know people are having it too, but I have not been I'm contact with them. Tell me everything! Haha

I'll private message you as well! But Im from Oceanside, Ca. My husband is in the military so my surgery is being done by Naval Medicine. at Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego!

I'm also a big old baby... I've never been under the knife before, never had a broken finger or anything, so I was worried if I could handle the pain. I'm a week out now and I feel great!

When they put you under, I didn't think it was anything to worry about and before you know it you're awake in the recovery suite!

I did have gas pains the first couple of days that were quite uncomfortable, but it wasn't so much pain as it was a big discomfort (like something sitting on my chest). The incisions didn't hurt and I was given painkillers every so often.

As someone who screams even when they just stub their toe & has low pain tolerance, I came out of it the other side just fine.

Hope your surgery goes well. :)

Hello CocoBelle.. as JamieLogical said everyone's experience is different but I agree that being knocked out was easy and over in a second. I couldn't have morphine for the first 2 days so I found the first evening difficult (I came out of surgery/recovery about 7pm) but within two hours I was up and walking around, sipping, sipping, sipping. Every day brings a milestone and you feel so much better.

I am two weeks out now and feeling great, problems with Constipation but that's resolved every now and again lol. I felt the surgery went really well and recovery has been spot on. I am still very tired so in between walking the dog and pottering around the house, I take it easy, nap or relax reading. Even this early out I know it's the best thing I have ever done for myself :D

Nerves and anxiety is normal however this is a massive change in your life so you are bound to be anxious. Come here, chat, read, get support - this is an amazing site with a huge amount of people who have a vast amount of knowledge... I wish you all the very best for the run up to your surgery. Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on!

My surgery is august 31. We are also close at dates!! How are you feeling??? Aaaaahhhh!!!!! I just needed to scream!!!!

Just an update, I had my surgery and so far everything went great. Waking up was the worst though! I moaned for god knows how long, I was so unaware of what was happening. I just knew I was in pain. Haha, my poor husband. Thanks everything. All of your responses were perfect.

Just an update, I had my surgery and so far everything went great. Waking up was the worst though! I moaned for god knows how long, I was so unaware of what was happening. I just knew I was in pain. Haha, my poor husband. Thanks everything. All of your responses were perfect.

I did the same thing. Just uncontrollable moaning. I think I had the nurses and techs worried.