Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major Lap-Band Failure - 8 Years Later - 2-Part Revision Upcoming - Need Support

Hello everyone, my name is Mona. If you look at my profile and history, you will see that I was active here since 2007, when I had the band placed and thought it was the answer to my prayers. I WAS WRONG, SO WRONG! :( I included my story below, long story short, I am getting the band removed and revised to the RNY. I would love to have some support as I take the plunge into this very important and life-changing "revision decision." I wanted to get the band removed and have the gastric bypass done all in one surgery but my bariatric doctor, Dr. Daniel Fang in Phoenix, wanted to do an endoscopy first to make sure I did not have erosion before planning the 1-step procedure. Although I did not have any erosion, (Thank God!) unfortunately, he found that my band has somewhat slipped, so I have to get the revision done in 2 surgeries, the first of which will be done next Tuesday, the 11th of August. He will remove my band and my gallbladder, since I have developed gallstones since my band was placed, then we have to wait 3 months to do the gastric bypass portion of the surgery. I had no idea that my band had slipped, I haven’t had any symptoms at all, so it was a very big surprise when he told me about the slip.

For those interested, here is my back story:

I had the Lap-Band (AP Large, 14 CC Band) installed in December of 2007. I was so insistent upon having the Lap-Band and did not even want to hear about or entertain the idea of any other form of surgery or option. I was convinced that it was the safest and only way to go for me. Hindsight is 20/20! It was the worst decision I have ever made and nearly cost me my life. I was a cash pay patient and found a doctor in Denver, CO that would do the band for just under $10k, so I drove from Phoenix, AZ to Denver, CO and had the band placed. I was only in the hospital for 5 hours and back in my hotel room that same night. Two days later we travelled back to Phoenix and I thought all was well. A few days later, I developed a fever and just was not feeling well. I went to the ER and they admitted me. They called several bariatric doctors but none of them wanted to get involved because they were not the doctor that did the surgery. Thankfully, Dr. Fang, who is now going to do my revision surgery, agreed to take care of me, admitted me, and did an endoscopy to see what was going on. He discovered that I had a micro-perforation in my stomach from the band surgery. One of the stitches was pulled too tight and had caused a micro-tear in my stomach tissue. He told me it was very serious and if they had to go in to repair it, I had a 50/50 chance of survival! I was petrified. He said he was going to put me on nothing by mouth plus a Protonix drip and other IV meds for 2 weeks and see if the tissue would heal on its own. Thank God it healed, so they did not have to go in to repair it. I should have been more cautious of my own health and red flags should have went up when I realized that the doctor that did my Lap-Band surgery did not even require me to have ANY pre-op testing or clearances AT ALL, before doing the surgery. Again, hindsight is 20/20 and I was determined and stubborn.

After I was released from the hospital, I gradually went back to regular foods and then started getting my fills. Since I did not have an aftercare program, I was basically on my own and had to find a place to do my fills. I started doing fills and initially, I lost a little over 100 pounds and went from 375 to 265 in a little less than 2 years, but I will admit that I did not do it the healthy way. I was overfilled most of the time, barely able to hold down Water and I used this time to starve myself to lose the weight. I slimed and threw up all day long, it was a hot mess and I was miserable. As time went by, the weight loss slowed and I was able to eat more and more so I kept getting more and more fills done, thinking I was losing restriction but that was not the case. Unfortunately, the reason I could eat so much more was because my esophagus was stretching and turning into a stomach!!!!! When this was confirmed, the doctor took all the Fluid out and told me to wait for 6 months to have it filled again, but I had to have an endoscopy to make sure the esophagus was back to normal first. I did not have insurance and had started to develop a major illness, so I could not afford to get the endoscopy, and was unable to fill the band again at that time. Within 2 years, I gained back every ounce I had lost, plus another 35 pounds and ballooned up to 410 pounds by the end of 2011. I hovered around the 400 pound mark from 2011 to 2013 and then decided to give the band one more try but “this time” I would do it the right way. I had the endoscopy done, got the all-clear, and started to do fills again. I lost about 40 pounds over 6 months, but the the stretching started again and the GERD was so bad this time around that I just could not take it anymore and I had the Fluid removed again. So long story short, here I sit, nearly 8 years after having the Lap-Band installed and I am currently 402 pounds, that is 27 pounds more than I was before I had the band placed, and I AM MISERABLE!!!!!!!

Since 2007 when I had the Lap-Band installed, I have developed multiple sclerosis, diabetes, severe chronic back pain from 5 herniated discs that won’t heal because of my weight, arthritis in my spine, and because I weigh so much, the MS complications have been exasperated exponentially and has caused me to be in a wheel chair because I can no longer walk due to my legs going numb from the constant pressure of my weight on my spinal cord and the loss of balance. I am in no way blaming these issues on the band, I do not believe the band had anything to do with my developing MS or any of the other issues I have developed subsequent to the band being placed. I am only 46 years old and I am too young to just give up! My PCP and neurologist have told me that if I can get under 200 pounds, I will very likely walk again, although it would be with a walker, it is still a far better scenario than where I am right now.

I am excited and scared, all at the same time, as I hate the thought of surgery, especially at my weight and BMI, but I am determined to do it! I go for my band and gallbladder removal on Tuesday, August 11th and then will be on a very strict low-carb diet for the 3 months following the band removal so I can get my BMI as low as possible for the gastric bypass procedure. My doctor said I did not need to be on a pre-op diet, so that is a little concerning to me because I am worried about the size of my liver, but he said I don’t need to be on any special pre-op diet for the band removal, just for the gastric bypass portion of the surgery. I am still going to do a 7-day liquid diet, starting today, so I can feel better about it myself. I am planning to have 3 Protein shakes a day and plenty of Water and Crystal Light.

I would love to hear from others who have underwent similar circumstances. I am going to try a whole different approach this time around. I am normally not one to share my life or feelings, but I need the support and I believe I also have plenty to share that may help others to make a better decision. I really hurt myself by not following the rules and not using the support systems that are in place, such as this site, to help me through. I was a cash pay patient and after travelling to Denver, CO to have the Lap-Band placed, I was on my own when I returned to Phoenix and tried to be my own doctor, which as you can see from my preceding story, did NOT work out to my advantage. This time, I am going to a local doctor, with insurance (Medicare and Mercy Care) and will be following the rules and using every bit of support that I can possibly get. I look forward to getting to know all of you and to your stories as well.

I am sorry to hear about all your problems with your lap band. One individual in our bariatric support group had a lap band to RNY revision. His band began eroding into his stomach. So it had to go. When they did a RNY, his pouch was slightly smaller than most RNY patients because of the scarring. It meant he had to eat a little less than most. He lost a lot of weight and was very pleased with his revision.

Getting my lap-band revised to RNY was one of the best decisions that I have ever made! There have been ups and downs since my surgery in May but it has all been worth it. I have lost more weight in these last 3 months than I ever did with the band. I am just 3 lbs away from this fabled place I hear of called "one-derland", I can't wait to see 199 on that scale!!

I wish you luck on your new journey, you truly deserve some things to go your way after such a long struggle.

Thank you for your support. I am anxious about the band removal on Tuesday, but I cannot wait to get this thing out of me and on my way to getting the gastric bypass in 3 months. 4 more days til 1st surgery.

I had my Lap-band converted to a RNY on the 23rd July this year. Living with the band was an absolute nightmare towards the end. The surgeon who performed the RNY said the band was too tight and possibly too high. I cannot blame the band completely I need to shoulder a lot of the blame for the failure as a whole.

One interesting note is my surgeon says this conversion is quite common...

It is nearly 3 weeks since I have had the surgery and all seems be going well. I think having the band initially has helped me with the mental preporatin.

Good Luck

@@divaofsongs I hope your surgery went well! Looking forward to hearing your story!

Courageous...good luck...keep us posted