Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To My dear Bariatric Pals!

I wanted to thank you all for your support during my jitters in the weeks leading up to the OR. Indeed, it was probably one of the most nerve wracking things I’ve ever done! As I close in on a week post opp tomorrow, I have refrained from posting too much about the experience because I think I needed a little bit of time, first of all to recover enough to be lucid enough to write coherently, but also because I needed to regain some of my emotional footing, as I let the enormity, irriversability and life changing capacity that this surgery has afforded me sink in.

I will post several things on how I prepared emotionally for the surgery and also the things I found helpful on surgery day to help those who are close to the date and need support to make it through, at a latter date. But in this post I wanted to update you all on how I’m doing in a synopsis.

First off…my surgery started at approximately 10:30am and lasted almost 3 hours, because along with the Sleeve, Band removal and Gallbladder removal, they found a hiatal hernia to repare (in short, I got the Blue plate special). Anasthesia was my biggest concern. Coming out of it took a long time…I was in pain and naucious but communicating with my caretakers gave them a chance to stabilize me such that by evening I was somewhat coherent.

At first, I was really tight…even taking down an ice-chip was hard. And ofcourse there was the bloated gas to contend with. Knowing this I was armed with my on Gas Ex strips, forget the baby Simithicone they were giving me, but most importantly, as SOON as I could semi wobble, I started walking the hallways…my 2 hour cycles ran like this…Sleep, take pain meds, sip liquid, pee, and walk those hallways as much as I could, and very soon, the gas problem was mitigated. Leaving the worse problem my banged up throat (from intubation) which was so raw and bad he surgeon took a pic of it to show the anesthesiologist! It felt like a layer of skin has literally been sloughed off, and so red and raw. And when I swallow…some skin seems loose like I’m swallowing my throat…yeah…bad).

After a nasty Barium swallow on day two I was clearned for liquids and the watered down Apple juice from an ounce cup felt like heaven!

I was release at the end of day 3. Back home I continued to walk. My fitbit registereing 6k steps all week and today I did 10k steps. Now these are veeeery slow put persistent and steady steps throughout the day, and after pain meds, and the only reason I can do this is because in the months leading up, I got a fitbit and worked my way up to about 12k steps, so I highly recommend you start walking now.

I finally was cleared from Clear Liquids to cream Soups today…wooo hooo. First few days I was not as hungry, but now, be it head hunger or what…mama wants some sustainance! And broth ain’t cutting it! The cream of mushroom was devine!

I’m weaning off of Hydrocodine and moving to liquid gel Aleve.

Upon my return home, gained Water weight coming back home from the IV as expected. My stomach feels distended and droopy as expected. And I have 6 incisions to nurse.

The more I drank, the more I started to shed the IV Fluid weight. So keeping hydrated remains key. And now I’m lower than pre-op weight.

I also found a book online. Emotional First Aid Kit Bariatric Surgery Patients to help hone some couping strategies for when I’m back in a world of doenuts.

And that’s where I am folks! Just learning how to live in this Brave new world I’ve been born into. Much like a toddler, taking baby steps, learning what I can and can’t do. It’s still just a week, so I’m looking forward to more healing and the rewards which we all so freverantly seek.

I hope my account is helpful to you.

Sending you peace and love,

Ellie123

Ellie,

Congrats on the successful surgery! Also, it sounds like you have a good handle and attitude about recovery. I am sorry to hear about your throat. That must really hurt, but I guess since your just on liquids now it has a real chance to heal. Still would have been nice for the anesthesiologist to get it right given how much one seems to cost. ????

Keep up the great attitude! Remember there is a good likelihood for that 3 week stall. Just know that you have got this and the weight will start really coming off after your body has some time to heal. It's a marathon not a sprint, but you seem to have a great game plan for success. ????????

Ellie,

Congrats on the successful surgery! Also, it sounds like you have a good handle and attitude about recovery. I am sorry to hear about your throat. That must really hurt, but I guess since your just on liquids now it has a real chance to heal. Still would have been nice for the anesthesiologist to get it right given how much one seems to cost. ????

Keep up the great attitude! Remember there is a good likelihood for that 3 week stall. Just know that you have got this and the weight will start really coming off after your body has some time to heal. It's a marathon not a sprint, but you seem to have a great game plan for success. ????????

MZb, thank you for the stall warning. I think one of the greatest things about this site is the fact that we collectively help each other set realistic expectations. Without that everyone feels isolated in their experience and has unnecessary stress wondering if they fall into normal. Thank you!

Hey guys just wanted to let everyone know that I have a surgery date. My date is on Dec 11th. My doctor is Francis Veninga in Carrollton. He uses the Da Vinci Robot for the procedure. I have never heard of it. Have any of you?

I am 9 days post surgery. Finally feeling somewhat human! Yesterday was hard! I was actually mourning food! As silly as that sounds I just wanted to eat something greasy, nasty and yummy! Then I remember that is why I'm here. I'm 20 pounds down already and excited for what lies ahead! I'm so glad I found this group...let's do this!

I'm a month out now. My doctor used the robot thing on me as well. He said it makes you less sore.

Hey @@mstosh

Thrilled to hear you have a date. I haven't heard of that robot. Has anyone else used this doctor? I used Nicholson Clinic.

I am 9 days post surgery. Finally feeling somewhat human! Yesterday was hard! I was actually mourning food! As silly as that sounds I just wanted to eat something greasy, nasty and yummy! Then I remember that is why I'm here. I'm 20 pounds down already and excited for what lies ahead! I'm so glad I found this group...let's do this!

Way to go! It gets better I promise ????. Just remember that you probably have a small stall coming in the next few weeks. Don't sweat it just remember that your body is adjusting and this is a marathon not a sprint. Your at the beginning of this "race". Pace yourself and keep focused on the goal. You got this!

Wow, 20 lbs already. That's such a huge motivator. I can't wait to join you guys. Great work!!!

Glad to hear the robot procedure makes you less sore.