Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm attempts to take in fluids have been sidelined by nausea, pain, and uncomfortable gas. I continued to try but no luck. I began to get lightheaded and very winded doing light daily activities. So I had to go to the ER yesterday. I spent the whole day there. I got poked 5 times before they got a very small IV in. No PE or DVTS. Thank goodness! But 2 bags of Fluid later and tons of tests, I was ok. They said there was some swelling to the connection of my pouch and small intestine. They think that is why my fluid intake has been difficult. I see my surgeon tomorrow and I hope he can help with more fluids again. I continue to feel dizzy at times and hope this will all pass very soon! The scary part is the possibility of fainting and getting hurt. A woman did this when I was at er for the exact same thing. She also had a bypass but not sure how far out she was. I'm just continuing to sip as much as I can until then. Had this happened to any one else? Has anyone continued to have this issue months out?

not to that extreme, but I do get light headed and room goes black for a half a second. I have to be very diligent about my Water and I stick with Smart Water to help with absorption.

Wow! I'm so sorry! I had a bout with dehydration and it was awful. My nutritionist recommended sugar free popsicles to help with hydration. After my bout with it, I had one every 30 minutes and it helped greatly.

Thinking of you!

Thanks guys! I've had to get a home infusion Rn to come in and give me fluids. Today will be the second round. I'll do good after and can drink about 24 oz but after it decreases rapidly and then the light headedness comes back. I'm trying to force fluids but indigestion and nausea seem to halt that. So if after this second round I need to go see my doctor and plan from there. It's been a real struggle for me since this surgery. But I'm keeping positive.

Ive been having the same problem. I am not even getting half the recomended 64oz. I keep Water next to me but cant get it in before the day is over. experiencing dizzyness when standing and headaches. I am sure it is dehydration. I may have to try the popsicle idea. I go back to work next week and I am scared I will pass out. Guess maybe I should talk to the doctor? Had my surgery almost 1 month ago.

I'm so sorry kimjuly7! Yes call them when you can! We can develop a pulmonary embolism or deep vein thrombosis! They may suggest at home infusions if they are contracted with a company. My infusion nurse suggested getting a picc line placed unto in able to take in fluids. Since I'm a health care provider they will not let me go back to work with any iv' or picc lines. So you may want see what you can do! It's our health first! I've been trying to remain positive but, it's been difficult. With the fluids it seems to be easier but once I start getting dehydrated I get lightheaded, dizzy, and that nasty foaming in my mouth with nausea and gerd like discomfort. So I can tell I'm dehydrated. As am sure you can too. But please call your doctor! We made this change to prolong and improve our quality of life. They can help get us there safely. Best of luck to you! Please keep us posted on your progress!

So this is my reply from the doctor. "The first couple months after weight loss surgery can be fustrating for patients. Sometimes even if you eat the exact same thing 2 days in a row you may tolerate it the first time, but you may not tolerate it the next time. This can be frustrating and very confusing. It sounds like you prepared the pork perfectly (crock pot all day); but sometimes it still just doesn't work and there isn't always an explaination! Don't give up on trying new foods! These types of things will get better with more time. I would recommend to continue to really focus on getting more Water. Since you are having symptoms of dehydration it may even be more beneficial for you to focus more on your Fluid intake rather than your protien intake. We do worry about strictures about 6 wks after surgery, but most of the time patients feel like what ever they eat/drink just sits there and doesn't move. This usually causes pain, nausea and regular comiting. It doesn't sound like these symptoms pertain to you? I would focus on soft foods and liquids for the next couple days. You will feel better once you can increase your Fluid intake."

So I guess I keep trying. I did go to the store yesterday and get some 40 calorie no sugar added popsicles yesterday to increase fluid. I must say it tasted pretty good. :) Hope you are feeling better! 1 cup Water in for the day only 7 to go!!!

oh man, i fainted once from dehydration. so not cool. what has helped me is making a schedule. every other hour i give myself 30 mins to drink 250ml of flavored water. at 9 weeks out, i can drink pretty well (in the beginning it's so hard to drink normal, but not anymore). so from 8-830 i drink, then from 9-930 i eat, etc. i should add that i am told to drink 1500ml a day, which is about 50 oz, and by the end of the day i'll have closer to 1750ml.