Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here...Meeting with Psych Dr.....nervous

So, this is my first post after a few months of lurking....LOL.

I have always been overweight (except for a year timeframe in high school where I was bullemic) and I am just DONE with it. I have type 2 diabetes and am on so much insulin that now I struggle to lose even 1/2 pound. I always thought...oh...next week I will start eating perfect and working out....then I did...and lost 5 pounds in 2 months of barely eating and working out 1 hour or more a day. So....my mother had bypass surgery when I was younger...yes...genetics at work....and I never wanted to go that route. STUPID considering she was a size 4 and has been for like 30+ years because of her surgery and maintaining those habits.

Now, I have opted for the Sleeve and am in the process of getting all my referrals so that we can submit to insurance. All I have left is a nutrition class and the psych appointment.

Which brings me to my question (sorry for the rambling). What should I expect in this appointment....is there a wrong answer...is there a right one? I really need this surgery and don't want that to be the one thing that stops me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Raylene

Hi!

Just be truthful and it will be fine. I answered a questionnaire. He basically wanted to know if I was mentally prepared for the surgery, if I had a history of depression, and if I was able to handle the ups and downs of post op. The appointment was about 30 minutes. It wasn't bad at all!

Don't be afraid. It will go well :-)

Good luck!

I was scared of the psych evaluation. But it was a breeze. They will ask you questions about the surgery and what expect after surgery. They will about Portion Control and extra skin. Depression and family and friends. They want to make sure you have support and a good mind frame about surgery. After the there is a questionnaire just to make sure your stable enough for surgery. It was easy and I was worried for nothing. You'll be fine just go in with a clear mind and do your research.

Welcome! And I wholeheartedly agree with the other posters. Be yourself, first and foremost. Remain calm and relaxed. I too was very apprehensive beforehand about this requirement, but it turned out to be very quick and easy. Good luck!

I personally know how you feel. I struggle with depression and other mental illnesses already and I've already been seeing them for that so I'm wondering how this is gonna go for me as well.

I go Monday and above everything else I have had to do/will do this one makes me the most nervous. (Afraid he'll keep me or as my mom says..he'll probably run away) lol can't wait to get his part over..

Hoping your appointment went good. Mine was a breeze, no lengthy form to fill out. He sat across from me and we talked for 30 minutes about my life. I got emotional a couple of times but he reassured me that this is the right step and cleared me for surgery :)

@cindy. I go Friday so I will let you know. I'm glad it went well.

To everyone thanks for the encouragement and advice. I am just scared of not getting the approval because I want/need this.

He asked me how the extra weight stopped me from doing certain things. What other weight loss programs I have tried. How long I've been over weight. How was my life as a child, how is the relationship with my parents, spouse, children. I was completely honest about all of it and he approved me. It was more laid back than I thought it was going to be. :)

Great. That I can handle. Did you get an approval that day or still have to wait?

He told me right away but will send a formal letter to my surgeon.

Just finished my appointment with the psych dr.....full clearance and approval from him. Now I just have a class next week then they will submit to insurance. Soooooo excited!!!!

I was really scared but it was fine once I got to talking to the Dr. I was there for an hour and a half. There is a questionnaire asking a lot of weird things. I think it's to find out if you are really depressed and stuff and if you can handle this type of surgery. I just answered them as truthfully as I could but a lot of them didn't refer to me so I just put N/A. My Dr. told me at the end of the appointment that I was good to go. I'm sure you will do fine.

I had my psych evaluation this past Friday. Like you I was a little nervous as to how the visit would go. Honestly it was fine, the Dr I had was wonderful. She asked a few questions about my adult life, childhood, marital relationship. Just general questions to see if I was happy or had any concerns I might need help with. Once that was done we went on to my eating habits. It was all good. She explained some of the changes I might encounter socially after the procedure & possible ways I might be able to deal with those situations.

Don't stress over your psych visit.

Go in and be honest, it will be ok. ????