Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Months Post Op- not losing weight

Hi All,

I had VSG surgery 12/22/14 (HW 299+, SW 265, CW 233 +/-3 depending on the day/time) and I was doing really well for the first 3 months. I lost apx 30 pounds in those 3 months. At the end of March out I moved from Seattle to Portland and kept my diet and exercise the same, but began to notice I wasn't losing weight. I did some research online and found that it's fairly common at 3 months to have a stall. I was ok with that and kept up with my nutrition, following my calories, Protein, and carbs- and logging in MFP. I also continued to work out for 30min- 1hour 4-5 times a week, usually consisting of walking/jogging (C25K training and walks on rest days).

It's now 7 months out and I am still not losing weight. I've increased my workouts to be bootcamp/circuit training 3 times a week, 1 day of yoga, and continuing the C25K program (again). I keep my calories around 900-1000 and aim for 70-90 grams of protein and stay under 40 grams of net carbs daily. Some days I do get up to about 70 grams carbs, but usually do his the 90 grams protein on those days also. I consistently get in minimum of 64oz Water daily- if not 96oz.

I've met with a new doctor in Portland and she didn't seem too concerned with my stall. She said she was happy with the results so far and was glad to hear I was keeping up on my food journaling and Vitamins. She did recommend seeing an endocrinologist to do some testing if I was still concerned- and I am. I have an appt for the end of August (soonest available).

I know moving can cause stress and may change how the body responds to foods/hormones/etc, but it's now been 4 months since moving and the move was actually for the better- to get out of a stressful job working 13+ hours a day, no social life, and really emotionally and draining. I now work normal 8-5ish hours in a less stressful job, and feel so much better emotionally. I'm now in a routine with work and feel comfortable. I just thought that maybe the first month or 2 after moving may be rough, but I'm now 7 months out from surgery, 4 months from moving and still stalled.

I guess my questions to you all are:

- Has anyone else been through this? What did you do to get out of the stall?

- Do you have any other suggestions on what I could do to help promote weight loss?

- Has anyone else seen an endo dr after WLS? Did they find anything of concern? Were they able to help with your weight loss?

- Could the 30ish pounds be all I lose from surgery?

I just thought at 7 months I'd be closer to my goals. I'm feeling defeated and would love advise.

I will add that although the loss has only been about 65ish pounds from my recorded high weight I do feel better about myself in general. I have more confidence, I am able to do more in my life, and I see a lot of positives in my future where I didn't before. I don't regret having surgery. I did however want to get below 200 pounds after having surgery and I feel like that goal was not unrealistic. So to have been stalled for so long makes me feel like I may never see 199.

Thank you in advance!

Sarah

I experienced something similar back in the 80's when I was a commercial weight loss program. My intake was about 800 calories per day, I exercised regularly and I had an infant and a toddler to take care of. My weight stayed at around 165 lbs for a couple of months. (I am only 5' 3".) When I talked to a doctor about it, he disbelieved my report. I was eating only the foods provided by the program, but his only explanation for my long stall was that I was cheating, which I was not. Since it actually happened to me, I get really impatient with people who claim that it's impossible to eat so few calories and still not lose weight. After two months, I got totally discouraged and quit dieting altogether. My weight then began to climb rapidly and I ended up becoming morbidly obese. Looking back on it, I now realize that 1) the diet I was following was totally inadequate nutrition-wise and my body reacted by holding onto every ounce and, 2) giving up was the absolutely wrong reaction.

I suggest that you talk to a nutritionist about your diet to make sure you are really getting the calories/nutrients that your body needs. The 900-1000 calorie range you report seems reasonable, but you need to make sure that it is accurate and adequate for your body. Good luck.

I have a VERY weird question. Is there any chance you're pregnant?

(I told you it was a weird question.)

Oh that wasn't too weird! hahaha

Definitely not pregnant- been on depo for 12 years and just switched over to Mirena 2 weeks ago. Had a pregnancy test at the Mirena insertion and it was negative :)

I wasn't losing at 800 to 900 calories. I went to 1100 to 1200 and now the scale is dropping. I also make sure not to get any carbs that aren't veggies or fruit. My body seems to hate carbs in the form of any kind of grains.

I agree with increasing calories. Awhile back I had lost about 80 pounds and was training 4 days a week. I could not lose so I bought the body bugg system that you wear on your arm. You record your food and then download the results from your activity. It was crazy. I was burning a ton of calories and the system recommended I increase calories by 800 a day. The next week I lost 8 pounds and continued losing.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Other than bumping calories up maybe another 100 I wouldn't make any changes until after the endo visit. It could just be your body being stubborn.